The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually laughed when I heard what he said.

Race issues in this country will never be solved - that's why I stay the hell outta those issues (ie-The Freedman vs. The Cherokee Nation issue here in OK, I see both sides of that issue and even though I am Cherokee, I stayed the hell outta that mess).

Maybe because I live in a state where the Indians tribes (I wont use the term "Native American" when I refer to myself since I feel anyone born in the US is a native to this country) are considered the majority and the whites/blacks/everyone else are considered the minority has something to do with that

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Careful - you will be branded as anti-black and a racist for that comment. White people can never make any factual comment that slights blacks - don't you know that silly.
heh, yeah... so let it be...

I learned to live as the minority. I have absolutely nothing against blacks, or other races. If anything, it helped me learn to be more accepting of other races and cultures. However, there are some (Sharpton, Jackson) who think they have to scream racism at the white folks every whem. It's sickening. If I screamed racism at the schools I attended, I would be told to sit down and shut up.

Imus got a suspension. That's enough.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm with Ryan who gives a ****. Second of all I wonder if he had made a reference that can sometimes describe a Polish person or Italian or Irish if everyone would still have their panties in a wad?
Joy Baher made a good point on The View today. Does Al Sharpton ever come down on rappers for some of the language in their songs? Most rap songs are about ho's, ****ing ho's, guns, tryin' to survive in the ghetto etc., etc. He needs to be worried about the "influential" people in his own race and the affect they have on the younger generation.
Clearly just my opinion though.

"I always return here..."
Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472 View Post
Who gives a ****. Just put Imus on XM Radio instead.
F that. Sirius is soooo much better.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I believe Al S. and Jeese J. called for a 100% prohibition of the N word after the Seinfeld comic's eposiode. So, they have done that.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGypsy View Post
I'm with Ryan who gives a ****. Second of all I wonder if he had made a reference that can sometimes describe a Polish person or Italian or Irish if everyone would still have their panties in a wad?
Joy Baher made a good point on The View today. Does Al Sharpton ever come down on rappers for some of the language in their songs? Most rap songs are about ho's, ****ing ho's, guns, tryin' to survive in the ghetto etc., etc. He needs to be worried about the "influential" people in his own race and the affect they have on the younger generation. Clearly just my opinion though.

Well, Bill Cosby dared to say something to that effect. People were none too pleased.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Careful - you will be branded as anti-black and a racist for that comment. White people can never make any factual comment that slights blacks - don't you know that silly.
We know that white people get away with making a bunch of comments and actions that do a lot more than slight blacks.

Quote:
Personally, I think you have to be willing to help yourself.
I agree. The irony that I see is that these Rutgers basketball players were doing just that--helping themselves, trying to be what is acceptable in society, and probably received no more of a handout than any white college athlete. And yet they still got slammed with racial insults--not only did they get singled out for being black, but for being REALLY black, hence the nappy-headed reference.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Anyone catch the Rutgers team press conference? I thought they handled the whole thing with grace and dignity. They are hurt and offended, as they should be, and have agreed to meet privately with Imus but won't disclose when or where.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
We know that white people get away with making a bunch of comments and actions that do a lot more than slight blacks . . . .
Very true - but I was not talking about those people. I was talking about the comment she made, which many would take a horribly racist. I think that is stupid.

In the end, the black people are just going to have to figure out a way to better themselves because depending on the govt. to do it has pretty much been a failure (though it worked for many) -- I think education is the key.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyone catch the Rutgers team press conference? I thought they handled the whole thing with grace and dignity. They are hurt and offended, as they should be, and have agreed to meet privately with Imus but won't disclose when or where.
After like 20 minutes of that woman droning on, I turned it off -- too many words.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Strand, you and I actually agree on this stuff more than it seems. The "system" stuff. I agree that education is the key. Which is why I find it even more egregious that here are young black women going to college and they still get slammed with a racial insult. That is what I find so bothersome about this whole ordeal.

Last edited by Rickypt; 04-10-2007 at 01:56 PM..
Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Strand, you and I actually agree on this stuff more than it seems. The "system" stuff.
I think we all agree on that part.

However, people need to remember that the civil rights "movement" really only got started (implementation-wise) in the late 1960's. I think it's going to take a little bit longer than 40 years to reverse 300+ years of actively and doggedly holding back an entire segment of the population from life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower View Post
I think we all agree on that part.

However, people need to remember that the civil rights "movement" really only got started (implementation-wise) in the late 1960's. I think it's going to take a little bit longer than 40 years to reverse 300+ years of actively and doggedly holding back an entire segment of the population from life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
YES

Goddamn, I love your posts.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Well, Bill Cosby dared to say something to that effect. People were none too pleased.
I thought his speech was riddled with prejudiced remarks and oversimplifications (more of the latter, really). He wasn't helping anything from my point of view, just showing that he was less in-touch than I had assumed.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... I was talking about the comment she made, which many would take a horribly racist. I think that is stupid.
I agree that it would be ridiculous to consider any of her posts in this thread to be racist, but I'd sing a different tune in reference to some of your comments.

Last edited by GateandGarden; 04-10-2007 at 03:00 PM..