Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGypsy View Post
One of my favorite Beatles songs which happened to be sung by Barry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I3YW9aZM-o

good choice in music but it didn't occur to him that to do a regular cover of a song that was so groundbreaking just degrades it. the arrangment production and lyrics were unheard of at the time and when they put that one tape the eeriness it created was lennon and martin making so much more than a pop song. yesterday anybody can cover but unless your glimpsing into johns genius head you cant cover a day in life. unless you just do a plan guitar solo thing like jeff beck but with it he's not admiting he's great no one could recreate that. the last note that gets held for like 30 seconds or something is so eerie and its so much more than just a track on a record. plus lennons voice is so timeless in that track the whole thing is a work of art
Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

sorry just realised I was arguing with you when i was just trying to say how extraordinary that song is.

besides barry himself wouldn't hesitate to say that john and paul were the onesthat paved the sucess for others like them. without shame they'd probably want to be able to be as good as john or paul.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Für Elise View Post
sorry just realised I was arguing with you when i was just trying to say how extraordinary that song is.

besides barry himself wouldn't hesitate to say that john and paul were the onesthat paved the sucess for others like them. without shame they'd probably want to be able to be as good as john or paul.

"A Day in the Life" is a extraordinary song.

Funny how a thread from how hot we thought Barry or Paul is went straight to a debate about their musical and songwriting abilities.

Just confess, you prefer a dark-haired boyish looking man and I prefer a man with mustache and blonde, flowing mane of hair

Oh, Barry would definitely say the Beatles paved the way for them and other groups in the 60's. I'm sure he and his brothers have said this several times before in interviews and articles.

Truce

So I close my eyes softly
Til I become that part of the wind

♥Debra♥
Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i do know some things about the bee gees. You Don't Know What It's Like is called To Love Somebody and I started a Joke was mainly robin gibb's writing so what's that got to do with barry's talent? just reading this i think i actually even know more about them. i saw them in concert i'm not an idiot when it comes to then i just don't think they're anything compared to mccartney.

lonely days was as enevelope pushing as anything on sgt pepper?!!!!!! a day in the life? lucy in the sky with diamonds? fixing a hole? she's leaving home? being for the benefit of mr kite? within you without you? lovely rita? the kind of new sounds that came out of that album are so far above being compared to "lonely days lonely nights where would I be without my woman". maurice using one finger to hit a key. the tune is catchy but.......hello! those songs on sgt pepper pathed the way for music at that time they broke through new boundaries not lonely days by the bee gees.

john was far better at lyrics but its hard when your in a band with basically the greatest cause anything you do looks inferior. but look at his lyrics without thinking of johns, they are some great lyrics.

Eleanor rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from ?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong ?

Father mckenzie writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear
No one comes near.
Look at him working. darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there
What does he care?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

Eleanor rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name
Nobody came
Father mckenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave
No one was saved

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

the arrangement and lyrics in that song had a mood far more intriguing than any beegees song i can think of

spicks and specks is my favourite bee gees song and i like ii started a joke but john AND PAUL'S collection of music and lyrics is so much more intellectual and experiment than barry's.
I realized I got the title of the song wrong after I posted it and corrected it, big deal.

As far as Im concerned, Paul took a big dive once he no longer had John's brilliance to lean on. Wings was about as mediocre a group as you could ask for, and Paul's once bright star fell quite a bit. And his latest works? Garbage.

The Bee Gees continued to be successful and transitioned thru the decades much more gracefully than many of the other British bands (with the exception of the Stones who are Rock Gods!)

Lonely Days was very much "Sgt Pepper" in musical style, not just lyrics, you obviously missed that fine point. And most of the songs you mentioned from Sgt Pepper werent Pauls, they were Johns! so you cant even support your own argument that way

Whatever. I happen to be a Beatles fan and enjoy their music. I just think its a bit much to think that Paul is some sort of uber songwriter on his own. Especially when his solo career sucked, IMO.

and, back OT: Barry was BY FAR better looking. (still is!)

Last edited by irishgrl; 04-02-2007 at 05:09 AM..
Old 04-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl View Post
I realized I got the title of the song wrong after I posted it and corrected it, big deal.

As far as Im concerned, Paul took a big dive once he no longer had John's brilliance to lean on. Wings was about as mediocre a group as you could ask for, and Paul's once bright star fell quite a bit. And his latest works? Garbage.
yeah Alone is a masterpiece. The fireman's work is far beyond anything barry has done in recent years. your really just making it worse for yourself saying barry is is greater than paul. for starters pauls songs dont all sound like variations of the same song and the lyrics aren't hte exact same ones sung in different orders. but keep making yourself look silly by saying how much greater than paul barry was. its fun to read

back on topic: mccartney was the pinup for an entire generation. it was elvis then it was paul. doesn't really matter if barry's overly white smile does it for you.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yeah Alone is a masterpiece. The fireman's work is far beyond anything barry has done in recent years. your really just making it worse for yourself saying barry is is greater than paul. for starters pauls songs dont all sound like variations of the same song and the lyrics aren't hte exact same ones sung in different orders. but keep making yourself look silly by saying how much greater than paul barry was. its fun to read

back on topic: mccartney was the pinup for an entire generation. it was elvis then it was paul. doesn't really matter if barry's overly white smile does it for you.
It wasnt his smile, it was the HAIR!

I fail to see how you think Barry's songs all sound the same as his style changed throughout the years, but then, you've always been stuck on stupid. I saw Paul on PBS doing his latest works, and I thought they sucked. I want to point out that I was (and am) a Beatles fan, and I much admired Paul's and John's many wonderful songs. I do think that together they were pretty much the pinnacle of songwriting genius. For me, however, John was the true genius in that partnership, and while Paul was certainly very good, I just liked him better WITH John than without him.
Having said that, however, I still agree with Celticgypsy that Barry is Hotter, which was what this thread was about anyway. Btw, Barry was also a pinup for a generation, and for much longer than Paul was. so sorry.

ETA: In the end, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree (again!) because after all, all we can do is state our opinions and there is no right or wrong....so, you can have Paul.

Last edited by irishgrl; 04-02-2007 at 07:11 AM..