User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace
I already have money....so that is not important....
share the love...!

I'd talk to the mother again and then if nothing happens I'd call animal control. Keep everything well documented. Go to the pet store and see if there are any deterrents that aren't necessarily harmful.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
share the love...!

I'd talk to the mother again and then if nothing happens I'd call animal control. Keep everything well documented. Go to the pet store and see if there are any deterrents that aren't necessarily harmful.
Good advice there.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sonic device huh? I will look into that. I do not want to hurt an animal. Although I do not want an animal to hurt me.

I am kind of a tree hugger. So the thought of hurting a dog hurts just thinking about it.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sonic device huh? I will look into that. I do not want to hurt an animal. Although I do not want an animal to hurt me.

I am kind of a tree hugger. So the thought of hurting a dog hurts just thinking about it.
I know what you're talking about. I hate people that abuse animals!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I completely understand and feel the same way. There are products out there that are made from natural elements that a dog does not like to smell or taste, but are not harmful.

Last edited by JazmenFlowers; 10-18-2005 at 03:12 PM..
Old 10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have heard of a less hurtful tactic that still gets the message across- a water gun filled with water but a little lemon juice. I have never tried it, but hear they will definately not come after you after a few times of that. And it is not as hurtful to the corneas as mace.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 10-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

my advice wasnt to hurt the dog (they are afterall controlled by the owner...if in fact the owner is responsible.)
it was meant merely as a deterant for the child to keep from coming to your drive every morning when you depart...
most kids wouldnt want their dog near the "crazy" person welding dogbust spray (i could be wrong)
Old 10-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

I had to chime in-- i work at a 'dog day care' (Camp Bow Wow) and we use water bottles for discipline-- we spray the dogs in the face w/ water when they are getting too aggressive w/ each other, or jumping on us. It's a good deterrent in that it is basically harmless, but most of them really don't like it. (and if the water doesn't do it, try the lemon juice, as someone suggested!) :-)

If this child can't control his dog now, it's not gonna get better. The mother seems to be of no help. If the dog is dragging the kid towards you and coming onto your property, I'd start dealing w/ it now. Carry a water spray bottle w/ you when you go out to your car (it's better on stream then on spray) , and as soon as you feel the dog is getting out of control --is pulling the child to get closer to you or is about to jump on you-- etc spray him right in the face and say very loudly "NO." Hopefully the dog will learn soon that if he gets too close, you will nail him in the face. If one morning you happen to go out and the dog sits there and watches you nicely, I would praise him. it sounds stupid because it's not even your dog, but someone should start training the darn thing and it looks like it won't be the owners.

And although many pit bulls are lovely, they do have a reputation for aggression, and if i were you I'd nip this problem in the bud while it is still a puppy. If the kid or the mom complains, tell them your next step will be to call animal control since they keep letting the dog come onto your property.

-Lis
Old 10-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rather than the dog, I say spray the kid and his mother with the water.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can just see me out front whipping my AR-15 SuperSoaker out of my purse!!

Oh, lord!! Too funny. But you guys are right, I have to do something. And a water gun may be the way to go.

Last year it was "hockey boy" pissing me off (the son of a NHL player who thought it was funny bouncing his rubber hockey puck ball off my Porsche and Benz and whose father would egg him on and tell him too aim for the rear windshield) this year it is moron with a pittbull...I don't know which is worse!!!

How do these people end up in my neighborhood???

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can just see me out front whipping my AR-15 SuperSoaker out of my purse!!

Oh, lord!! Too funny. But you guys are right, I have to do something. And a water gun may be the way to go.

Last year it was "hockey boy" pissing me off (the son of a NHL player who thought it was funny bouncing his rubber hockey puck ball off my Porsche and Benz and whose father would egg him on and tell him too aim for the rear windshield) this year it is moron with a pittbull...I don't know which is worse!!!

How do these people end up in my neighborhood???
Honey - I do not know - but I had the same kind of ****te happen to me in my old neighborhood. They just thought it was hysterical to damage my property. MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I live in a high rise with a bunch of little Jewish widows and and I am a single lawyer - do the math

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And people wonder why I live on an acre up a private driveway.

I doubt that the dog will bother you for long. One of these days, the kid is going to piss him off. The dog will turn around and either tear his arm off or get him by the throat. Happens in California every few months. All pitbulls don't do this, but if they get no discipline, and the kids get no discipline, odds are something tragic will take place. Just hope you're not the one the dog goes after.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I think you should smack the whole family. WTF "I can't control him?" Jeezus christ. And then I think you should give a speech about how stupid people with no parenting skills shouldn't have children, let alone give their children a dog, let alone a pitbull. Oh, and nice pitbulls attack all the time. Often they attack your sweet dog or cat. Then you should call animal control. Or at least be on the lookout for chances to call animal control. Gosh, I remember I took my cat to the vet a few weeks back, and this lady ran in with the sweetest little gray poodle, it had just been attacked by a pit bull. I think it died, but if not it was in very bad shape.
And after you do that you should mace them all.
hope that helps...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a pitbull, and he truly is the sweetest dog I have ever had. That being said, it's important to note that my dog has been raised with nothing but positive reinforcement- no punishment. While I feel that he is a wonderful dog, I know that his breed is capable of aggression. So I do think it's extremely irresponsible for this person to give a pit pull to a child. Retarded, really.

If it makes you feel any better, pit bulls are known more for their aggression toward other animals, not humans. It's unfortunate, but we can't take Cooper to dog parks, b/c I just don't know how he'd be around other (smaller) dogs. They're typically very friendly to people though, so hopefully you won't have any problems. Maybe you could try to make friends with the puppy now, so that when he gets bigger he'll remember and like you??
Old 10-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC

I have a pitbull, and he truly is the sweetest dog I have ever had. That being said, it's important to note that my dog has been raised with nothing but positive reinforcement- no punishment. While I feel that he is a wonderful dog, I know that his breed is capable of aggression. So I do think it's extremely irresponsible for this person to give a pit pull to a child. Retarded, really.

If it makes you feel any better, pit bulls are known more for their aggression toward other animals, not humans. It's unfortunate, but we can't take Cooper to dog parks, b/c I just don't know how he'd be around other (smaller) dogs. They're typically very friendly to people though, so hopefully you won't have any problems. Maybe you could try to make friends with the puppy now, so that when he gets bigger he'll remember and like you??
You're dog is really cute. I love him!

People, it all comes down to responsible ownership.