User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I don't think that the doc had as much exposure for the band as originally thought; a lot of people in the country lost all Viacom stations. And besides, the doc was the kind of thing that only a true fan could sit through. It wasn't entertaining for someone who's simply familiar with GYOW or Rhiannon. JMO.
Great point!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think this has more to do with their demographic getting older and losing interest in most new music in general. Frankly, most people who bought the band's music in the 70's and 80's have bigger fish to fry than following music. Sad, but true. Stevie was right - people are worrying about how to pay the bills, their kids (delinquent or not) and the other bs of normal everyday life.

The quality of the record is not an issue. Overall, it is an artisitically respectable product. I truly think it is the audience, coupled with the promotional silliness, and the fact there really isn't a great single on the record.

Norah Jones, whose success I support and relish, is an anomaly. Her music sounds like it has been around forever, plus she is new, so people have that "I found this great new artist" thrill about her. I would love to think that this means the general music buying public might actually become interested in actual musicianship and songwriting again, but I ain't holding my breath. This stuff goes in waves. Our band (oops, did I just pull a Stevie?) rode a tremendous wave, and good for them. It only happens once for anyone.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They would have sold a lot more here in the UK if they had gone on Parkinson. I think at one point the top 4 or 5 selling albums were all from people who had recently been on his show.

There's some sort of pop-jazz thing going on over here. I suppose it's better than faceless dance music.

As for the album, I don't know how things work over there, but I was surprised by the single choices. It was too predictable imo.

Last edited by Gazza; 03-19-2004 at 03:53 AM..
Old 03-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky
I think this has more to do with their demographic getting older and losing interest in most new music in general.
I think you`re absolutely right about that. It`s a typical quote when someone says "the earlier stuff of artist xyz was better" People are stuck in the past, I heard quotes like that concerning different artists often too. So I don't believe SYW knocks the non- fan- casual listener out of his shoes- otherwise it would have earned more positive reactions. But in comparison to the earlier CD`s there are with Silver boredom and BTLH only two songs that occur boring to me. LB stated this being his best work. I don`t quite agree with that but I still think the new material is quite good and has less clunkers than some other albums. I mean the Eagles put out just one single song and even this one was horrible. How would an entire album sound like then...

The Christine argument... You're right about TITN. But that`s a long time ago when the band was not simply regarded as veteran act (even though not as young also) On the other hand look at her contributions later on. I think they could not compete anymore. But even if that`s just my impression- even Christine would be regarded as being one of those"older artists" and her songs wouldn't have been played on the radio too. If that was the criterium then SYW the song would have got much more recognition (as it is very Christine-like)

BTW TISL did not outsell SYW as far as I know even though it`s available for a longer time. I think I read that SYW sold ca 810000 and TISL ca 700000

Concerning the marketing... I don`t know if that was really as bad as some of you say. Remember the AOL first listen thing. AOL is huge so it reaches a lot of people. Then we have this tacky concert season opening in NY last year, (they are to blame theirselves if they put on a mediocre to bad show then no matter how cold it is- that`s the impression the people get then) and this other TV appearance. We had a lot of radio interviews and articles, we have the doc now, we`ll have reissues, we'll have soundstage, the tour and so on. I tend to believe that it's just a matter of how the time for older bands is.
Also Radio landscape has changed in the US and that seems to be a big issue.

I'd like to get a reaction from the band if they are content with the album sales or not. Early reactions were positive, but what about now? If the 800000 mark provides them the possibility (and encourages them) to move on with the next project- great.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Also remember that The Dance came out right before music downloading became popular, Say you will has come out in a different time for music. The marketing for the album was good, they were on radio and tv, they did all they could. I believe 600,000 was the least they wanted to sell so they passed that number, so that's good.

I did my part supporting the album, I bought the regular album, limited ed. album, and dvd audio. I also bought the very best of (even though I had all the songs already, heh)
Old 03-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer

Finally, and I know this will not be a popular opinion, but I think Christine's absence contributed to the less-than-stellar numbers of the album. Obviously, performing wasn't her strong suit and the concert sales have been solid. But Christine wrote several hits. There's no way that TITN would have been as successful as it was without the strength of the singles from Chris. And if not for "Hold Me" (and Gypsy) Mirage would not have even done what it did. Say what you will, but every album (1975 and later) that does not feature Lindsey, Stevie, and Christine together has not done so hot.
I completely agree and Christine wrote MORE than several hits. TITN was promoted as a comeback album. They hadn't done anything in 5 years. That album sold alot because of all of those hit singles. It seemed everytime I turned on the radio or MTV, there was "Little Lies". That's how you sold records, then and now. Springsteen sold alot of CDs with his last album even without much radio airplay, but "The Rising" was a great album with rave reviews & Grammy nominations.

BTM sold about the same as SYW largely because Lindsey wasn't on the album. The Rumours line-up sells. That's been proven.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why did "The Dance" sell so well?
1) Nostalgia -- classic songs people were already familiar with.
2) Novelty -- it was the Mac's first official comeback, and well-timed, just as the band (and Stevie in particular) were coming in for a critical reevaluation.
3) Hits -- Two major radio hits in "Landslide" and "Silver Springs."
4) Christine's presence. It felt more like "the real thing."

"Say You Will" had none of those. So it sold well out of the box to loyal fans, but had no legs.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Junior Ledgie

I really think a video would have really helped them. I always thought they should have done a video like Elton John did a little ways back...remember that one where EJ wasn't even in the video but had that dude (can't remember his name right now) play a younger EJ and lip sync the song? That would have REALLY worked for Thrown Down, and I don't know why they didn't do it, or any video other than PK for that matter...but I suspect the record company had at least a hand in that.

Instead of making a dry, bland "performance" video for PK, they could have made something a little more interesting, and get themselves a bit of airplay probably on VH1. (just forget MTV at this point)

Last edited by rollison; 03-21-2004 at 01:03 PM..
Old 03-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow It was...

Quote:
remember that one where EJ wasn't even in the video but had that dude (can't remember his name right now) play a younger EJ and lip sync the song?
Justin Timberlake.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by blinker12
Why did "The Dance" sell so well?
1) Nostalgia -- classic songs people were already familiar with.
2) Novelty -- it was the Mac's first official comeback, and well-timed, just as the band (and Stevie in particular) were coming in for a critical reevaluation.
3) Hits -- Two major radio hits in "Landslide" and "Silver Springs."
4) Christine's presence. It felt more like "the real thing."

"Say You Will" had none of those. So it sold well out of the box to loyal fans, but had no legs.
I agree with all of the above. The tour has done well because the casual fan gets (or hopes) to see a Greatest Hits package and the committed fans get to see their heroes and heroine (sadly not heroines)

The album was for the diehard fans and because it wasn't promoted that much (at least not in England) it didn't reach a wider audience.

It will be very interesting to see how the reissues do in comparison to SYW.

Personally as I am a mature (polite word for old) fan I don't give a stuff how well the albums sell these days. As long as I like it that's all that counts. And I do (quite) like it.

Gail
Old 03-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gailh
Personally as I am a mature (polite word for old) fan I don't give a stuff how well the albums sell these days. As long as I like it that's all that counts. And I do (quite) like it.

Gail
But do you think this might discourage them from making another album or make it harder for them to find a label?

Speaking of making another album, Fleetwood Mac is not getting any younger so they really need to take a couple months break from the tour and just sit down and record the songs. If it took them seven years from the time The Dance came out until SYW was released then we can't expect too many more records before they all head to a nursing home!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 03-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
But do you think this might discourage them from making another album or make it harder for them to find a label?

Speaking of making another album, Fleetwood Mac is not getting any younger so they really need to take a couple months break from the tour and just sit down and record the songs. If it took them seven years from the time The Dance came out until SYW was released then we can't expect too many more records before they all head to a nursing home!
They'll make another one, but it'll be years before we hear it.

It took three years just to make SYW, so expect at least, if not longer since Stevie is doing a solo record before a Mac one.

Old 03-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They'll make another one, but it'll be years before we hear it.

It took three years just to make SYW, so expect at least, if not longer since Stevie is doing a solo record before a Mac one.
Turn that frown upside down. At least she'll put out something new for us to play. I think that her solo career doesn't really take away from FM because they insist on spending so much time in the studio. How long does it take Stevie, in the studio? A month?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 03-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
Turn that frown upside down. At least she'll put out something new for us to play. I think that her solo career doesn't really take away from FM because they insist on spending so much time in the studio. How long does it take Stevie, in the studio? A month?
I'd prefer a Mac album, but that's just me.

It took her a year to do SYW, so who knows...

Old 03-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd prefer a Mac album, but that's just me.

It took her a year to do SYW, so who knows...

did it take a year? well she was on tour with tisl, and the guys were in the studio for six months already, then she took about another month to write the extra four new songs, then they had to work on those songs, and the new production on her demos, and then add stevie to lindseys songs. im just glad they finished it and are out there. does anyone know how many songs lindsey originally had worked on for this cd, that he didnt use? im still hoping that he will do a solo cd, maybe with all the success and praise he is getting on this tour , he will be able to get a solo out and it would be nice if his record company would back him on it .