The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, he said this about SYHA- It was something like he thinks it tends/borders to be generic but he hopes not too much.

I think Peacekeeper was clearly the most obvious single on the album even after losing some strength compared to the solo version. And it was quite successful espescially compared to its follow up single SYW. I am very surprised that they release two singles at the same time as you could think they steal some power from each other. But because of this funny radio format division thing you have over there in the US this probably won't happen. I think SYHA is one of the songs that have been improved from GOS to SYW. Let's see how it`s doing as a single.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great news! I'm particularly happy about Steal Your Heart Away....it's such a beautiful song. I wish Thrown Down had remained as the WOS version but...oh well!

Fingers crossed that they do fantastically in the U.S. charts, while Peacekeeper does a great job here in the U.K.

Old 11-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Much as I like both songs, SYHA and Thrown Down, I don't know if I can ever see radio embracing FM again like they once did. It's not a reflection on quality, just a reflection on more rigid format decisions. But I'll remain ever-hopeful.

SYHA is probably the most accessible of Lindsey's songs musically, but I actually think there is some depth to the lyrics. I think he's really good at communicating a message that seems to pull at two different things at the same time. On the surface I can see how it would be seen as a somewhat simplistic love song - like a plea to someone he's infatuated with to "steal your heart away".

But the song has always come off to me as being more about mourning the loss of a certain idealism and romanticism in a relationship, and then in some ways, about life in general. He's singing to her and himself about loving each other enough to recognize that, much as it hurts to fully admit it, they aren't fulfilling each other and they should probably part ways to rediscover that missing spark elsewhere. The "steal your heart away" line always seemed more to me about stealing their hearts back from each other in order to preserve some essence of themselves that they can rebuild and put toward happiness in another time, in another place, probably with someone else.

I suppose that may or may not be seen as deep even so, hehe, and of course lyric interpretations are always wide open for debate and dispute. But I like that his songs use deceptively simple lyrics to sort of suggest a more complex set of feelings. Just my .02.

Last edited by Les; 11-06-2003 at 10:55 PM..
Old 11-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was very dismayed that Lindsey dissed his own song with that "generic" comment. It's actually my second favorite of his songs on the album, right after Red Rover, and I've adored it ever since I heard it on the Dance Best Buy CD.

It reminds me when the lead singer of "The Simple Minds" made fun of people for liking "Don't You Forget About Me." That is VERY UNCOOL. I know Lindsey hasn't done that, thank goodness, but one example that stands out in my mind is his disparagement of "Oh Diane," which I happen to like. That really ticked me off.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
I was very dismayed that Lindsey dissed his own song with that "generic" comment.
I think it's kind of interesting to find out what an artist likes and doesn't like in their own catalog sometimes. But I do think he actually likes SYHA (as opposed to Oh Diane), even while admitting it may not quite live up to what he considers his adventurous highs. I suppose he figures he developed a nitch in the band as being the most edgy writer for a number of years, so when his material isn't edgy, he's a little shy and self-effacing about it, even if he likes it.

I like the song a lot too, and always have since first listen, generic (in his mind) or not!
Old 11-07-2003, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dontlookdown
and all FM fans should be sure to check out Maria McKee's new record. It's fantastic and she was sort of ushered in to the "mainstream" by Tom Petty and Jimmy Iovine in the late 80's.
There are other Fleetwood Mac/Maria McKee fans out there?
I became a fan of hers when I saw Lone Justice open up for U2 on their War tour (a long time ago!)

Yes, the great song "Ways to be Wicked" was written by Tom Petty and produced by Jimmy Iovine.

Recently saw her live here in Portland, OR. She is very entertaining, ecentric and very bizarre...along the lines of Sandra Bernhard. All of her albums are very different from each other...Country, Rock, Grunge, etc... I like them all. David Bowie seems to big a influence to her...at least I hear that in her latest album.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-07-2003 at 02:29 AM..
Old 11-07-2003, 02:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking YAY!!!!

This is TERRIFIC news!!! As long as they play them on the radio. What good are singles if they don't?

I am probably one of the few who like SYHA better than BTLH.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: YAY!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I am probably one of the few who like SYHA better than BTLH.
Well I for one sure prefer SYHA ~ don't know about most other people! I would've thought they did.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

BTLH shouldn't even have been on the album as it has been on "The Dance", let alone be a single...

I too prefer SYHA over that!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Foolish, foolish people!

Well then again, "Bleed To Love Her" is obviously about sadomasochism and "Steal Your Heart Away" is about a permanent heart removal. So it's apples and oranges again, I guess.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by face of glass
"Bleed To Love Her" is obviously about sadomasochism and "Steal Your Heart Away" is about a permanent heart removal. So it's apples and oranges again, I guess.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Seems to me that Lindsey is not saying he does not like Steal your heart away. Please see the quote below. He seems to say there will always be a place for finally crafted pop on a fleetwood mac album. Its something he does well and he wants to do.

Also note some quotes from some well respected East Coast Music Critics about Thrown Down and Steal Your Hear Away.

Steal Your Heart Away is being sent to AAA only. Thrown Down to AC and Hot AC, as well as AAA. Look for AAA programmers to jump on Steal Your Heart Away. None of this means that if Steal were to take off on AAA that a HOT AC station could not jump on it. Vice Versa as well.

It’s fascinating to note all the different levels on which you function here - the purse pop level of "Say You Will," "Steal Your Heart Away," "What’s The World Coming To" - compared wit the sonically surreal level of "Come," "Red Rover."

Yeah. But we’re not playing down to anyone. "Steal" and "World" are mine, and the title track is Stevie’s, and they all definitely fall into a similar category. And for me, I dunno - a song is something that you always think about covering. And as much as it’s interesting for me to stray into that unknown realm of "Red Rover" - and we’re working on "Red Rover" today - it’s interesting to do live. We’ve got three guitar players running through this vibrato on/off thing, and the on/off is toed into a specific click. And we have to play to that click or the timing’s all off, so we’re working it all out and it’s pretty trippy. But as much as that’s where my heart is in terms of pushing the envelope, and that "new frontier" kind of vibe . . . well, we’re a pop band. And those pop songs are always going to be there, and I would be very uncomfortable if we didn’t have some of those, ‘cause that’s where we stand. When Stevie and I joined Fleetwood Mac, and suddenly it was this big commercial animal, people would say, "Did you just decide you were gonna do that?" And my answer was always, "Well, no - this is what we do. This is what we like."

Guitar One June 2003

Longtime Fleetwood Mac fans need not fret though, for there are plenty of moments here that are very true to the best of their earlier work. "Thrown Down," is a particular standout, loaded with Buckingham and Nicks' harmonies, while others like Nicks' title track and the beautiful Buckingham ballad "Steal Your Heart Away" fare nearly equally well.

Kevin O’Hare –Springfield Republican April 2003

As for Buckingham, all of his songs are brand new and feature his multitracked guitar style. His best tracks are the love songs ''Steal Your Heart Away'' and ''Bleed to Love Her,'' as well as the acoustic ''Say Goodbye,'' with fast-clipped acoustic guitar in the manner of Leo Kottke.

Steve Morse Boston Globe April 2003

“Steal Your Heart Away” is one of the best singles in the band's hefty discography

Tom Moon Philadelphia Inquirer April 2003
Old 11-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
BTLH shouldn't even have been on the album as it has been on "The Dance", let alone be a single...

I too prefer SYHA over that!
I have to admit I was kind of torn about the inclusion of "Bleed To Love Her," simply because it meant that it would take up the space that a new song could have had. However, it's one of my all-time favorite Lindsey tunes, so I'm glad the studio version wasn't just discarded.

Maybe it would have been best if they had used it in a different way (such as on the second disc of the Limited Edition set)... but then, it is one of Lindsey's only true "pop" moments on the album, so it does help to provide an important texture.

Plus, who can resist Lindsey, Stevie & Christine's harmonies on the chorus? And that gorgeous instrumental coda?
Old 11-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Maybe it would have been best if they had used it in a different way (such as on the second disc of the Limited Edition set)... but then, it is one of Lindsey's only true "pop" moments on the album, so it does help to provide an important texture.
Besides for Come, Murrow, and Red Rover, all of Lindsey's songs are pretty poppy on SYW. But all of the songs are fab-o.

Old 11-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Besides for Come, Murrow, and Red Rover, all of Lindsey's songs are pretty poppy on SYW. But all of the songs are fab-o.
Yeah, "pop" definitely wasn't the right word... but "pretty" seemed too wimpy when I wrote it.

But really, "Bleed To Love Her" is one of Lindsey's few "pretty" songs on the album... and, again, it provides an important texture.

I know many critics (and, inexplicably, some fans) complained that the album was too long, but they definitely covered a LOT of ground with this one.
As Creem Online's review stated, it's "one long damn album with no filler in sight."