User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
After thinking about it NGBA may not be realalistic to not be done at this point. The fact that it wasn't played on the dance tour is the only thing making it somewhat realalistic. But again, I think Lindsey has this on the same pedestal as so afraid, which at least deserves it's pedestal.
Pretty interesting what Lindsey was doing back in The Dance. I mean, one time he tried to go without both Second Hand News and NGBA. Instead he had Eyes of the World in there. That didn't last and I was so happy to hear SHN. I welcomed its return like a lost brother, but I applaud Lindsey experimenting with leaving both of those Rumours songs out and I wish he would do more of that in the future during his solo shows, especially if he is going to go out without a band again. He needs to make the hard omissions.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
I especially agree with this. I was genuinely bored during NGBA in 2009, and it's a pity because it's one of my top 10 FM songs. He needs to speed it up definitely. The whispering is getting ridiculous. Is he trying to be sexy? I mean this song is all about passion and anger, i think his interpretation is wrong. Maybe he's doing the song differently because he has grown, blablabla, cycles, but i think he's wrong on this one.
I don't think the song is about anger, but I agree that the way he is performing it is dull and stupid. I don't even know what his deal is. I mean why does he think that sounds good? Because the audience "ooohs" during those long pauses? Insane.

He's done it much better in the the older tours. As far as his interpretation, I think it's good and can be playful and frisky with the right tempo, but I remember when I heard Matchbox Twenty's I found it to be a revelation. I mean, Lindsey approaches it more as finding happiness after pain, so he's never going back to that pain, due to having gotten over it and it's rather a happy tune, when he does it that way.

Others interpret it more as abandoning love altogether and never getting close enough to anyone to experience pain again. So, it's not a song about hurting, but it's a song about alienation and I found the distance and disenchantment that Matchbox 20 put on their spin to be very exciting to hear. A new approach to something that was so familiar to me.

Stevie's interpretation of the song is amusing and flattering to herself, but the person he is asking to come down and see him again is not the person that burned him in the first place, to my way of thinking.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG..Don't Stop not a FM sounding song? LOL
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think the song is about anger, but I agree that the way he is performing it is dull and stupid. I don't even know what his deal is. I mean why does he think that sounds good? Because the audience "ooohs" during those long pauses? Insane.

He's done it much better in the the older tours. As far as his interpretation, I think it's good and can be playful and frisky with the right tempo, but I remember when I heard Matchbox Twenty's I found it to be a revelation. I mean, Lindsey approaches it more as finding happiness after pain, so he's never going back to that pain, due to having gotten over it and it's rather a happy tune, when he does it that way.

Others interpret it more as abandoning love altogether and never getting close enough to anyone to experience pain again. So, it's not a song about hurting, but it's a song about alienation and I found the distance and disenchantment that Matchbox 20 put on their spin to be very exciting to hear. A new approach to something that was so familiar to me.

Stevie's interpretation of the song is amusing and flattering to herself, but the person he is asking to come down and see him again is not the person that burned him in the first place, to my way of thinking.

Michele
Wow i need to hear Matchbox 20's version, apparently! I agree with your interpretation, actually. I still think there is anger, there, but i might be wrong. "Alienation" must be the best way to describe it.
I want them to bring back the full-band version (with Stevie). It was upbeat during the SYW tour.
Why didn't people who saw Lindsey (Elle,etc.) tell him he was destroying the song?

EDIT : Michelle, the alienation thing has just completely changed the way i understand NGBA. I never thought never going back again would be a bad thing, for some reason.

Last edited by Sleepless-Child; 02-04-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Realistically???

Probably going to upset some, but I want to hear them retire - that is what I want to hear at this point

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
OMG..Don't Stop not a FM sounding song? LOL
Yes, seriously. Cheesy, but FM sounding. There are other cheesy FM songs that unfortunately fit perfectly in their repertoire
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow i need to hear Matchbox 20's version, apparently!
It was on this tribute album.

http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Tribute...umours+tribute

When it came out, I think I was in a minority on liking the version of NGBA, so it might not appeal to you. I guess it depends on whether you like Matchbox 20. I do and am kind of a sucker for Rob Thomas, so that may have colored my opinion.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Exactly. The song is only half about Stevie. And not the good half. Stevie's the "where I've been."

At least, regarding when it was initially written. Who knows what all of their songs mean to them today.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, seriously. Cheesy, but FM sounding. There are other cheesy FM songs that unfortunately fit perfectly in their repertoire
Call it "cheesy" or FM's most sugary "pop" song. I remember by the end of the summer of 1977, I was sick of this song. Every time I turned on the radio it was there. But taking into account their history, it is still FM sounding.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Dang, I'm surprised so many people are down on "Don't Stop" - it always makes me smile. I love it.

However, let me join in with those heaping scorn on Lindsey's awful arrangement of "Never Going Back Again." People hear the opening notes and get excited thinking they're in for a treat, only to be disappointed once they realize Lindsey is going at the pace of someone who's forgotten how to play the song, and that he's using the kind of breathy vocals indicative of someone who no longer has the chops to sing it full voice. BTW, I don't give a flip if he has enough breath control to hold a note, I want to hear the song and the attempt at showboating detracts from it. I speculate that he thinks if he does it all breathy and slow that when he finally does sing it with passion at the end, it has more power. However, making 4/5 of the song suck in order to give 1/5 of it more impact seems a sorry trade-off to me.

I also agree "Stand Back" should be traded in for an upbeat Mac song like "Angel."

Along those lines, no IYD or UTS/GOS/SWS material, please. It would be jarring and self-indulgent of Stevie and Lindsey respectively, IMHO.

Last edited by sodascouts; 02-04-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Along those lines, no IYD or UTS/GOS/SWS material, please. It would be jarring and self-indulgent of Stevie and Lindsey respectively, IMHO.
Though I loved all of those albums, I agree. They've already toured to support them plenty. Let us hear Fleetwood Mac songs.

I doubt if anyone in the audience would be disappointed if we didn't hear Secret Love or End of Time.

Not that those songs are bad.. but that's not what people are coming to a Fleetwood Mac concert to see. I'd rather hear more obscure or less played FM songs. There are plenty of them to choose from, there's no shortage of material there.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Dang, I'm surprised so many people are down on "Don't Stop" - it always makes me smile. I love it.

However, let me join in with those heaping scorn on Lindsey's awful arrangement of "Never Going Back Again." People hear the opening notes and get excited thinking they're in for a treat, only to be disappointed once they realize Lindsey is going at the pace of someone who's forgotten how to play the song, and that he's using the kind of breathy vocals indicative of someone who no longer has the chops to sing it full voice. BTW, I don't give a flip if he has enough breath control to hold a note, I want to hear the song and the attempt at showboating detracts from it. I speculate that he thinks if he does it all breathy and slow that when he finally does sing it with passion at the end, it has more power. However, making 4/5 of the song suck in order to give 1/5 of it more impact seems a sorry trade-off to me.

I also agree "Stand Back" should be traded in for an upbeat Mac song like "Angel."

Don't get me wrong..I was sick of it in 1977, but would love to hear it live now, especially with Chris singing on it. I love their sugary pop stuff (i.e., Little Lies, You Make Loving Fun, etc.). You Make Loving Fun is my favorite track on Rumours besides Go Your Own Way.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Though I loved all of those albums, I agree. They've already toured to support them plenty. Let us hear Fleetwood Mac songs.

I doubt if anyone in the audience would be disappointed if we didn't hear Secret Love or End of Time.

Not that those songs are bad.. but that's not what people are coming to a Fleetwood Mac concert to see. I'd rather hear more obscure or less played FM songs. There are plenty of them to choose from, there's no shortage of material there.
Right, some people who go to the concert are not FM fans, but most people who will be there are. The band shouldn't create a setlist that caters to people who aren't into Fleetwood Mac. They'll get their solo shows later.

I want the music these people made together. And I consider the songs band songs. Stevie is one of the better parts of Over My Head. Lindsey shines through Hold Me. Christine made the ISA verses beautiful when she was there. The five rose to such heights because of their integration. I don't separate these people from each other within Fleetwood Mac and the best tours won't do that either. I'm not going "his" and "hers", when Lindsey's guitar on YMLF or Gypsy is better than his guitar parts on most of his own songs. I want the concert to celebrate what belongs to all of them.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was on this tribute album.

http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Tribute...umours+tribute

When it came out, I think I was in a minority on liking the version of NGBA, so it might not appeal to you. I guess it depends on whether you like Matchbox 20. I do and am kind of a sucker for Rob Thomas, so that may have colored my opinion.

Michele
Well, he's hot ? That's all i have to say about him .
Wow their version wasn't what i expected at all. I like the outro, with "The Chain", but i dislike the fact that they kept the guitar riff while completely changing the key (?) and everything else. It is so so different that it could have been an other song (that doesn't make sense). I really don't like his singing though.so mannered.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Call it "cheesy" or FM's most sugary "pop" song. I remember by the end of the summer of 1977, I was sick of this song. Every time I turned on the radio it was there. But taking into account their history, it is still FM sounding.
huh? have you heard some of Christine's other songs?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"