Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Within the context of a missile, check out these phrases:

"Wait for the dark of night." Since the Gulf War we've mostly seen bombings at night.

"Soon all the suns will rise." When you see the missiles zipping through the TV screens, those balls of light could be seen as stars (or suns) flashing crazily through the sky.

And of course other folks have pointed out some of the other images in the lyrics.

This interpretation also puts the song squarely within the context of the political meaning a lot of us have attached to it.
That's an interesting interpretation, Carne. I was a little dubious when I started reading this thread, but then I went and reread the lyrics and I see the connection between Lindsey's message in the song and the name of the weapon. It's like Lindsey is pointing to the absurdity, or call it irony maybe, of naming a weapon "peacekeeper," an idea as somebody said that goes back to the old west days.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think the interpretation makes sense - this song has always sounded political to me, but I thought it was just because of the current climate that was making me think like that.

One thing: where do you guys think the line "Love is the sweet surprise" comes in?

Old 02-06-2003, 09:40 AM

Quote:
[i]One thing: where do you guys think the line "Love is the sweet surprise" comes in? [/B]
Great question. I haven't really thought about that line much because I just accepted it at face valued. But now you've forced me to look at it closely. Here's what I think:

I look at it as a philosophical statement, much like "love conquers all" or "all you need is love." That is Lindsey's way of expressing hope that ultimately love will overcame hate, peace over war, etc. Now, I could be wrong. It's a somewhat clunky line in the sense that it doesn't seem to fit with the other thoughts. That is, until you get to the brush that "never leaves a trace." Therein the clue: Love, harmony, what have you, leaves no trace, but when you realize it's there, it is a sweet surprise.

Then again, he might have meant something totally different.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I look at it as a philosophical statement, much like "love conquers all" or "all you need is love." That is Lindsey's way of expressing hope that ultimately love will overcame hate, peace over war, etc. Now, I could be wrong. It's a somewhat clunky line in the sense that it doesn't seem to fit with the other thoughts. That is, until you get to the brush that "never leaves a trace." Therein the clue: Love, harmony, what have you, leaves no trace, but when you realize it's there, it is a sweet surprise.
This is exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't fit because it's not ironic, like the rest. But I like this interpretation...this whole irony about violence is powerful...and I love that little crazy laugh that sounds like it's from GOS...makes it a little eerie. I hope that stays on the album. This song is quickly becoming one of my all-time faves despite its mainstream sound and lack of screaming guitar solo.
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."

Last edited by ERigby818; 02-06-2003 at 11:35 PM..
Old 02-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I totally agree with this. What's the only emotion more powerful than "hate"? Love, of course. And it's so weird that you used the "all you need is love" quote, because that's exactly what I was thinking. LB is saying that love can, "surprisingly", solve these problems, instead of the Peacekeeper missile.

I can't WAIT for the interviews to begin...any half decent journalist should be more curious as to what this song is about than any other one on the album.