User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I would love to read it Wendy, and would buy it in a minute.

As far as Mick's "stories" of FM, he would never do anything to wreck any future that FM has...thus we're stuck with his "drama queen" tales.
I agree with this because Mick doesn't want to piss anybody off that is still in the band. And even though Christine left he doesn't want to get on her bad side because what if she comes back like Lindsey did? He knows that a tour with Christine will sell out in a heartbeat or an album with her will fly off the shelves. Big $$$ to be made there...

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 AM

A book by Bob Welch would be awesome. I love that period anyway! Plus, I'm sure it covers life after FM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Ledgie

would HAVE been awesome, more like.

Yeah, I love that period of time too. Future Games and Mystery to Me are two top-five Mac albums for me.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Bekka

Bekka is one of the most incredible singers I have ever heard, as was her mother. But how could anyone fill Stevie Nick's shoes. It was her worst career decision in her life. She could have been huge on her own had she not tried to do that.\

Bob's book will tell so much more of the truth and you will be shocked. And it's in his own words, at least 15 chapters he wrote before he died.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
Bekka is one of the most incredible singers I have ever heard, as was her mother. But how could anyone fill Stevie Nick's shoes. It was her worst career decision in her life. She could have been huge on her own had she not tried to do that.\
What's funny is that a lot of people wondered how a certain American guitarist could possibly fill the shoes of Peter Green in 1971. But, he was so different, it took on a life of its own, and the band embraced the difference and gave it time to develop. I've always felt the same way about the Stevie-Bekka thing. Just as the only thing Bob had in common with Peter Green is that he was a man who sang, wrote songs, and played guitar, the only thing Stevie and Bekka have in common is that they're female. Completely different styles. Where the band went wrong with Bekka is that they didn't embrace those differences and didn't give it time to develop.

I've had a soft spot for her since 1992, but was already a fan of her folks. I was happy she was in and Stevie was out. By her own recent admission, Stevie had a lot of bad nights before 1997. Stevie was really at her worst when Bekka came into the picture, so Bekka was a very welcomed addition for me.

I don't know how truthful she was being, but I've read that Bekka really didn't want to be huge and turned down a lot of big offers over the years.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah,
but by that time, Stevie was firmly established as the STAR of Fleetwood Mac. As big as Peter Green was, they never had a platinum album, much less 20x platinum before Stevie. So thinking that any woman stepping onstage in her place, while she was still in her own career, was a miscalculation at best.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
yeah,
but by that time, Stevie was firmly established as the STAR of Fleetwood Mac. As big as Peter Green was, they never had a platinum album, much less 20x platinum before Stevie.
Yes, but Peter had all but one of the early Mac hit singles. He was pretty much the sole star of the band. While Stevie was the star, it was Christine, who was still with the band, that had the most hits on those 20x platinum records with Stevie.

Quote:
So thinking that any woman stepping onstage in her place, while she was still in her own career, was a miscalculation at best.
OTOH, the alt.country/Americana movement was in full swing. It wouldn't have been platinum records, but they could have found a niche audience and grown that...again, like they had done before in 1971.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes, but Peter had all but one of the early Mac hit singles. He was pretty much the sole star of the band. While Stevie was the star, it was Christine, who was still with the band, that had the most hits on those 20x platinum records with Stevie.

OTOH, the alt.country/Americana movement was in full swing. It wouldn't have been platinum records, but they could have found a niche audience and grown that...again, like they had done before in 1971.
OR, wait 5 yrs... get Stevie back, and have a No. 1 album, sold out tour, and highest selling music DVD of the year.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
OR, wait 5 yrs... get Stevie back, and have a No. 1 album, sold out tour, and highest selling music DVD of the year.
Doing mostly old stuff, resting on past glory, and selling out all the way to the bank. But, since that matters not to me...The better question is what have we gotten since?

I would much rather have seen them develop into an Americana type band with a huge cult following, NOT milking the band's past entirely, and had more albums and affordable shows. Become a working band, again, with its own unique identity. Oh, that's right. It's Mick and John. If Lindsey makes a solo record that tanks, it's praised as being an artistic masterpiece, and Lindsey's above worrying about sales. If Mick and John put out a new Fleetwood Mac that takes the sound in a new direction and it tanks, it's just a pathetic attempt at keeping the band they've had since 1967 together.

Instead, we got a compilation, "Say You Will", ANOTHER live album, TWO repackagings of "Rumours", and a couple of grotesquely overpriced Greatest Hits tours that rehash the same old tired songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Doing mostly old stuff, resting on past glory, and selling out all the way to the bank. But, since that matters not to me...The better question is what have we gotten since?

I would much rather have seen them develop into an Americana type band with a huge cult following, NOT milking the band's past entirely, and had more albums and affordable shows. Become a working band, again, with its own unique identity. Oh, that's right. It's Mick and John. If Lindsey makes a solo record that tanks, it's praised as being an artistic masterpiece, and Lindsey's above worrying about sales. If Mick and John put out a new Fleetwood Mac that takes the sound in a new direction and it tanks, it's just a pathetic attempt at keeping the band they've had since 1967 together.

Instead, we got a compilation, "Say You Will", ANOTHER live album, TWO repackagings of "Rumours", and a couple of grotesquely overpriced Greatest Hits tours that rehash the same old tired songs.
I agree with both you Espy, and JohnnyStorms. It would have been much more interesting to see FM evolve once again into an alt/rock/country version w/ Bekka and Billy. Imagine the possibilities. I think they would have still had a core die-hard audience and New fans, as well.

I'm going to Jazz fest and as much as I love BN, I would gladly pay to see a blues/country version of the Mac ala Chris, Bekka, Billy, Vito and MF's blues Band. Refreshing, Yes. Mass Commercial Appeal, No.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I asked Mick about this at the M&G and he had no idea about it, so sounds like a re-release of the old book, so no new material. He did say he was currently thinking about writing something, but it would be more a long the lines of his philosophy on life type of a thing rather than a bio.

He also said he didn't know how it could be re-released as he owns it. Better check with the publisher, Mick.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^Interesting. Might just be a re-release, assuming Mick owns the rights to it?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
it would be more a long the lines of his philosophy on life type of a thing rather than a bio.
Mick's philosophy on life. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a book deal for that one.

Michele