Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
Which old songs never get old for you?
MF: So Afraid, Tusk, Landslide, The Chain and Dreams
JM: None of them, they're different every night.
LB: Go Your Own Way, Big Love, NGBA, Tusk, Gypsy and Landslide.
SN: Dreams and Go Your Own Way.

I never ever thought I'd find myself referencing that tourbook when I got it free from the website.
I bet Stevie gets tired of Dreams. I know Christine did answer a question about which songs she was looking forward to playing. She may have answered it on the Best Buy CD. I don't remember what she said though. She said not just her songs, but she named some of their songs too.

Michele
Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
I love that Janet song - that whole janet. album is brilliant - and it would be so brilliantly random if Stevie recorded it! ::
That would be amazing(ly weird!). I love the janet album, I'm sure Stevie could do a great Throb! (Or maybe not...)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Additionally, Stevie said all this a few months ago..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...dtrack-my-life

STARTING OUT IN ROCK'N'ROLL

'Rock & Roll Woman', Buffalo Springfield (1967)

Hearing this for the first time was like seeing the future. [Sings] "And she's coming, singing soft and low…" When I heard the lyrics, I thought: that's me! They probably wrote it about Janis Joplin or someone like that but I was convinced it was about me. I saw Buffalo Springfield at the Winterland Ballroom at the time, and it could not have been better. They were a very Californian band and it was the height of the Haight-Ashbury scene. My parents had moved to San Francisco in my final year of high school, so I was new and didn't know anyone. But music was everywhere, everyone was listening to the radio all the time – I was living in the middle of a music revolution.

By 1968 I was in a band with Lindsey. His family lived in the same gated community as us, and we would practise at his house. My mum and dad liked him, and everybody in the band. We practised Monday to Thursday, then played gigs on Friday and Saturday. So we were serious about it from the beginning, and my parents understood that.

THE ALBUM THAT TAUGHT ME TO SING HARMONY

Crosby, Stills & Nash, Crosby, Stills & Nash (1969)

I spent a whole summer singing along to this record. I loved the harmonies, and learned to sing all three of the parts. I knew that I wanted to be in a band with the same kind of harmonies. I'd had a record deal early on. When I was a senior in high school a friend of a friend of my dad was a big deal at 20th Century Fox. So I flew to LA, took my guitar, sang and signed a five-year contract with a producer named Jackie Mills. He quit soon after, and luckily there was a "main man" clause in my contract that meant I was now released from it. I wasn't upset. Even at that age I was smart enough to realise that I didn't want to be stuck on a label with people that I didn't know.

THE SONG I PLAY BEFORE A SHOW

'Blonde in the Bleachers', Joni Mitchell (1972)

This is about a girl who [sings] "tapes her regrets to the microphone stand, she says 'you can't hold the hand of a rock'n'roll man for very long'". I never saw myself as the girl in the song – I identified with the rock'n'roll star. I was never gonna be the groupie. I was the star, I was sure of that. I listen to that song to this day. It's on the playlist I have for when I'm preparing to go on stage. I felt sorry for the girl in the song, and for all the girls who got their hearts broken going out with rock'n'roll stars. I don't think much has changed. Guys become famous, go on the road, all the beautiful girls come to their show, and it's a free for all. My advice to the young women I know is don't go out with a rock star. It's never gonna work.

I went out with Lindsey but he was a colleague, and he was very in love with me. I was not worried one bit about Lindsey Buckingham straying from me. We came to LA together, hand-in-hand, to conquer the world.

THE ALBUM THAT REMINDS ME OF BEING DOWN AND OUT IN LOS ANGELES

Court and Spark, Joni Mitchell (1974)

This was one of those albums that I lay on the floor and listened to for three days straight. Lindsey and I were coming to the end of our relationship, and I'd met someone else. So I latched on to the title track, which is about a new relationship that doesn't last. This was a year after Buckingham Nicks came out, which had gotten critical acclaim but Polydor dropped us like a rock. So we were back to square one. It was the only time I ever felt music might not work out. I talked to my parents about going back to school, because I was tired of being a cleaning lady, a waitress and a rock'n'roll star at the same time. We were really poor. At the same time, we were already living in the world that Joni Mitchell was writing about because our producer, Keith Olsen, had introduced us to a lot of people in the industry. So I related to a song like "The Same Situation" whenever I'd go to a party and music business sharks were everywhere. They would look at me as the blonde who could sing and might make lots of money for someone. I didn't like being looked at as a commodity. But by the end of that year Mick Fleetwood had asked us to join Fleetwood Mac, sight unseen. Keith Olsen had played him Buckingham Nicks, and told him Lindsey and I came as a pair.

THE ALBUM THAT REMINDS ME OF FRIENDS

Battle Studies, John Mayer (2009)

I played this constantly when I went to Hawaii a while ago. I was on a quick break while I was making the new album because Dave Stewart, who produced the record, was stuck in London at the time because of the volcano in Iceland. So me and four of my friends went on holiday, drove over the mountains and listened to this record all the time. I don't listen to other music when I'm actually writing as I don't like to be influenced by other things. You don't want to end up rewriting something that's already been written. And I don't go back to any of my own records either. I don't want to rewrite "Edge of Seventeen".
I had NO idea that Stevie had a record deal with 20thC that got cancelled. Wow. I also had no idea the Stevie-Lindsey relationship was almost over by 1974 and that Stevie had already "found someone else."

Re: the other Stevie list. I'm surprised Janet Jackson was on it. Thats kinda' cool!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
^ I like that list much better!
Court and Spark is my favorite Joni Mitchell album!

I'm going to have to check out John Mayer; I haven't paid any attention to him -- there are just so many artists that I can love and follow.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-05-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Court and Spark is my favorite Joni Mitchell album!

I'm going to have to check out John Mayer; I haven't paid any attention to him -- there are just so many artists that I can love and follow.
I'm sorry but every Joni song on Court and Spark is better than those three songs she wants to put in a capsule. I'm just saying...

And John Mayer is amazing! Ignore absolutely everything about his personal life and just listen to his music. Or see him live. He's not good, he's great.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I'm sorry but every Joni song on Court and Spark is better than those three songs she wants to put in a capsule. I'm just saying...
I'm a little surprised you don't think those are great songs. All of those are probably in the top 5 at least of those artists biggest hits and most known songs.

But, I do think she chose them for personal reasons not that she was picking out the songs she thought were the greatest. Although, she may think that. She's such a word person, so the lyrics must be special to her or maybe she's reminded of a special memory/memories from that period of time. For instance, Fire and Rain - 1970, Your Song - 1970, Danny's Song - 1971, Hello It's Me - 1972 all probably remind her of the excitement of young love and new dreams and opportunities starting a music career.

Last edited by CADreaming; 12-06-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I'm a little surprised you don't think those are great songs. All of those are probably in the top 5 at least of those artists biggest hits and most known songs.
Well, I was more referring to the songs by Taylor/Beatles/Loggins. I love "Your Song" and I would select that as one of my top 10 by John/Taupin. And I have to admit "Fire and Rain" is one of my favorites by JT, but not really a song I think special enough in the cannon of great songs to put in my capsule. The Beatles song forget it. I wouldn't put "Yesterday" in my top 20 and find it severely overrated compared to so many of their other, more beautiful songs. But this was Stevie's list. All I can do is offer my opinion, and I just find it predictable and lame. I feel there are better songs than those ones from less commercially known artists, but if you ask the average person they'll know those songs and probably choose them. There isn't a delving for a deeper scope of musical artists or songs from Stevie. I just see stuff from the Top 40 or typical classic rock stuff you find on any generic list. Just basic.

I'm not trying to offend. It's merely my opinion CAD.

Quote:
But, I do think she chose them for personal reasons not that she was
picking out the songs she thought were the greatest. Although, she may think
that. She's such a word person, so the lyrics must be special to her or maybe
she's reminded of a special memory/memories from that period of time. For
instance, Fire and Rain - 1970, Your Song - 1970, Danny's Song - 1971, Hello
It's Me - 1972 all probably remind her of the excitement of young love and
new dreams and opportunities starting a music career.
Possibly. Good for her. She is of the generation that witnesssed the greatest
pop/rock music of the 20th century first-hand so her choices make sense I guess...Even if they don't really impress me. But if you already noted from my user name, I am a fan of artists that aren't typically in people's top 20 list, or songs that don't qualify as "huge hits" but are equally-or-more amazing for me. The Beatles are the 'most' band of all time (successful/famous/influential) but they are so much more than "Yesterday" and, frankly, I wouldn't even put it in their top 40. But most people do. What do I know anyway?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Its cool! No offense on my part, I was just curious your thoughts. Seriously, I don't think I could even begin to choose songs for a time capsule. I would start mentally classifying in my mind: songs I think are technical masterpieces, songs that have great lyrics, hold special memories, encompass the overall feel of a genre, etc. I don't know how to narrow down - I have so many songs I love for different reasons. I was just trying to get into Stevie's head really and determine why she may have picked those tunes. Of course, she may answer totally differently today! Or she may be able to explain exactly what those songs mean to her. It's an interesting topic.

Btw, I'm so out of it I had no idea what your username was referencing...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ Its all good CAD! Music is so personal and subjective. It's difficult to consider a time capsule. I might cheat and just put John Lennon's Anthology... Nico was the chanteuse for The Velvet Underground for a period of time. Love her, love them. I definitely would insist on at least 10 songs in my time capsule though.

Last edited by Nico; 12-06-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Oh! THAT Nico, I know. I thought it must be a new artist.