Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Wow, you're right. It really does sound or feel like a lullaby, both lyrically ("I've been searching for the pot of gold/like the kind you find at the end of a rainbow" and "yes I can live today/if you give me tomorrow) and musically. A lullaby and a fairy tale, actually. This song might be the first time Christine ventured into Stevie-Town, lyrically LOL
Really? I think it would be 100% opposite kind of song Stevie would write. Stevie does not write lullabies or songs with such clichés. I personally believe that is why she passed on These Dreams. The song is fully such cheezy clichés and that is definitely not Stevie's style of writing.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Really? I think it would be 100% opposite kind of song Stevie would write. Stevie does not write lullabies or songs with such clichés. I personally believe that is why she passed on These Dreams. The song is fully such cheezy clichés and that is definitely not Stevie's style of writing.
I love Stevie's lyrics & think she's uniquely poetic. However, she is entirely capable of the occasional misstep, e.g. NOT MAKE BELIEVE, a catchy song with one cheesy cliche after another for lyrics:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times
And they both rushed by, like a thief in the night
Taking no prisoners, just like the first time
Adventures in paradise
Just like the first time

*Ricoh*
Old 08-26-2017, 01:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

I am in the minority opinion-but this is a top notch song that captures Stevie and The Mac in 1988. I think it was an excellent choice and could have been a big hit single in early 1989 prior to TOSTM release. No questions asked has drama, Rick, Billy and John McVie create an incredible guitar/bass wall and I like Christine's piano just before the chorus. Putting this on GH was a good choice, it would have fallen into the cracks on TOSTM, somewhere between Juliet and Rooms on Fire.

Love this song
Old 08-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am also in the minority opinion that I think this is one of Stevie's strongest songs of all. I fell in love with it immediately and it is still one of the first songs I listen of hers to this day. I can't exactly explain why but it's the sum of all the parts, it was a departure of sound from Tango so it was fresh - and remains fresh to me today - her voice is raw and yet dynamic. The guitar work is more raw than the jungle taps of Tango. The lyrics pull the heart strings and I was a college DJ at the time and this always got more reaction than As Long As You Follow. The reviews at the time panned ALAYF and said Nicks "Fared Better" with No Questions Asked and said something to the effect of it was a shame it was not selected as the single. I tend to agree, I believe it could have been a big hit single although radio would still not have embraced Rick and Billy so no matter what, it had an uphill battle.

But all in all, I love this song and think it is one of her best.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly, I remember when I first heard it in 1988 and always felt her vocals were way too buried in the mix. I always have felt they should have turned her microphone up louder.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Honestly, I remember when I first heard it in 1988 and always felt her vocals were way too buried in the mix. I always have felt they should have turned her microphone up louder.
I agree. Somehow AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW & NO QUESTIONS ASKED seemed to be produced very differently. ALAYF sounded rich but very clear, whereas NQA seems very muddled. And this would sort of represent how I felt about this Mac line-up: they had the potential to be great by quite often didn't because of production & inconsistency.
*Ricoh*
Old 08-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
I agree. Somehow AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW & NO QUESTIONS ASKED seemed to be produced very differently. ALAYF sounded rich but very clear, whereas NQA seems very muddled. And this would sort of represent how I felt about this Mac line-up: they had the potential to be great by quite often didn't because of production & inconsistency.
*Ricoh*
True - I think its because Stevie was so busy working on her solo album in her magical castle and making her videos. It almost sounds like a demo for a reason. The band probably huddled together and worked so hard on ALAYF and Stevie probably sent over her demo she did at her house and they just recorded it some afternoon and put it on the record.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've been obsessed with this song lately - one of my favorite Stevie songs of all time. I love the lyrics. I feel it really has a different sound for the Mac - much more indie/shoe-gazey.

The guitar sound that was being inquired about above is the low strings on a guitar with a tremolo effect thrown on it. You can hear a similar sound on a song like Emmylou Harris' "Heaven Only Knows" off the top of my head.

NQA is a song I always pull out when I'm having a lot of feels.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

To be honest, I find it near-unlistenable. A lot of that could be because of the wafer-thin production. But I don't much care for Stevie's vocal or lyrics either. Maybe Lindsey could have turned it into something decent, but as it is... just no. Weird that the absolutely wonderful 'As Long As You Follow' comes from the same session or close, and the production on that one is fine and dandy. Well, and the song is outstanding too, that helps. My second favorite Christine song. But anyway...

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."

Last edited by The Highwayman; 12-21-2022 at 10:20 PM..
Old 12-23-2022, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highwayman View Post
Maybe Lindsey could have turned it into something decent, but as it is... just no.
Eh, have you heard "Paper Doll?"

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-23-2022, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
I've been obsessed with this song lately - one of my favorite Stevie songs of all time. I love the lyrics. I feel it really has a different sound for the Mac - much more indie/shoe-gazey.

The guitar sound that was being inquired about above is the low strings on a guitar with a tremolo effect thrown on it. You can hear a similar sound on a song like Emmylou Harris' "Heaven Only Knows" off the top of my head.

NQA is a song I always pull out when I'm having a lot of feels.
Thanks Jeremy! I’m going to check out that Emmy Lou Harris song to see if I can catch the effect there.

NQA has really grown on me, so I’m happy to see the attention it’s gotten. I also think that being on the GH CD has given it and As Long As a you Follow a lot of listens, so that even the casual fan of FM have heard the songs. For that reason, I think they would have been great for FM to play live… especially more so with Rick and Billy but also with Mike and Neil.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No Questions Asked is one of Stevie's songs where her singing in the klonpin era is not really noticed. Many of her songs on OSOTM are ok but the demos reek of klonopin. Her singing sounds like she just woke up. BTM songs are especially noticeable. NQA is one of the exceptions of this era. Its a faster paced tempo song and she keeps up outwardly singing. Its not the most daring song musically but when Stevie throws a punch vocally it brings you in!

I love the line:
Its hard to be civil and real hard to be nice
but you did in my love,.....everytime

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-23-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Old 12-23-2022, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
I just listened to that song by Emmy Lou Harris, and dang if you weren’t right about that guitar! Right from the first note, too! I also saw that it was released in 1989, which was after No Questions Asked.

Rick Vito was so underrated in Fleetwood Mac.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Eh, have you heard "Paper Doll?"
I was actually thinking the exact same thing. Listening to Paper Doll puts me to mind of being at a carnival with all the crazy and loud sounds playing while trapped on a carousel spinning madly out of control lol.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for saying this but I love NQA and I even really like "Paper Doll" !!

I think it's weird "Paper Doll" was recorded for Greatest Hits because her vocals sound very "Street Angel" on it to me which wouldn't be until a few years later.

I never caught the nuance of the "hard to be civil REAL hard to be nice" until recently - what a great line.

Sure, NQA kinda sprints forward without a huge hook but it's one of those songs I just love for the vibe. To me it sounds more (earlier) 10,000 Maniacs than a rock band from the 1960s/1970s.

In the BTM podcast we touched on NQA and "Follow" and I knew the lyrics "miss those arms that used to go around you" was referenced again in a later Stevie song. I thought it was "I Miss You" but I was wrong, it's in "Love Is" (a classic in my opinion).