User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Because youtube hits are only one element that goes into the chart placement.
yeah thats true. i am wondering how much youtube counts then towards the charts then? like if they are 1/4 of the total or less.

ok found it on the billboard site:
YouTube streaming data is now factored into the chart’s ranking, enhancing a formula that includes Nielsen’s digital download track sales and physical singles sales; as well as terrestrial radio airplay, on-demand audio streaming, and online radio streaming, also tracked by Nielsen.
The inclusion of YouTube streaming data comes nearly one year after Billboard and Nielsen launched the On-Demand Songs chart and added streaming data from leading on-demand subscription services such as Spotify, Muve Music, Rhapsody, Slacker, Rdio and Xbox Music to its chart and tracking offerings.

Last edited by kak125; 05-07-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Of all the bonehead rules adopted by Billboard, I think the stupidest is the one counting YouTube hits, which is the main reason why crap like "Harlem Shuffle" and "Gangnam Style" managed to become U.S. chart hits. And I wonder how Billboard is able to tease out and tally on the hits that originated in the U.S., or if they are counting all hits from any viewer in the world. Yes, the artist/label is paid some ridiculously nominal fee by YouTube (like $0.07 per 10 hits). But unless you are Justin Bieber or Psy, it's hard to make any money this way.
YouTube keeps track of where the hits are coming from. You can see what countries the hits are from, and even demographics like age and gender.

As far as getting paid by YouTube, unless you are a YouTube partner, the money you get for hits to your videos actually comes from the hits to the ADS on your videos and not the hits to the videos themselves.

Last edited by WildHearted; 05-07-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
agree re no promotion, it seems almost strange that it sold as well as it, those first few days.

i've never received any emails, only my husband received one from Ticketmaster, seemed entirely random... did you or other people here receive any email promotions?
Yes, I received email from the website the day after I downloaded it (was that April 30?). Go sign up at fleetwoodmac.com, Elle.

Michele
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
YouTube keeps track of where the hits are coming from. You can see what countries the hits are from, and even demographics like age and gender.

As far as getting paid by YouTube, unless you are a YouTube partner, the money you get for hits to your videos actually comes from the hits to the ADS on your videos and not the hits to the videos themselves.
The payout is related to hits, which is indirectly related to ads. http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...uers-viral-hit

Quote:
interesting about counting youtube hits... would that be just youtube hits on the vids released by the artist / label, or any youtube posting of a specific song, by anybody (the latter would seem much harder to do)?
Per the Billboard article, the artist can "monetize" any video on YouTube that is claimed by the copyright holder. This probably explains why there are so many outright copyright violations, i.e., illegal uploads of commercially available works, but relatively few are taken down. The copyright owner is making money! Albeit, a very small sum which actually works out to $0.02 per 10 hits.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Per the Billboard article, the artist can "monetize" any video on YouTube that is claimed by the copyright holder. This probably explains why there are so many outright copyright violations, i.e., illegal uploads of commercially available works, but relatively few are taken down. The copyright owner is making money! Albeit, a very small sum which actually works out to $0.02 per 10 hits.
lol so it seems i made what? ~ $4 for Stevie Nicks' people by posting my recording of Landslide? which means band is actually making some very small money if they let people film at their live shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihT52cwlhc4

here is that regular text / explanation you get:

Matched third party content

Your video may include a song owned by a third party. For example, this might be a song playing in the background or someone performing a song.

To hear the matched song please play the video on the right. The video will play from the point where the matched content was identified.

Your video is available and playable.

Here are the details:

"LANDSLIDE", musical composition administered by: 1:24
Kobalt Music Publishing
Sony ATV Publishing

Content ID Claims - Videos that have been matched by Content ID may be monetized, blocked or tracked.

Meanwhile, i didn't get any "matched third party content" notifications on Sad Angel recordings... what's up with that?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 05-07-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Meanwhile, i didn't get any "matched third party content" notifications on Sad Angel recordings... what's up with that?
I supposes LMJS Productions LLC is too cheap to hire a third party content aggregator.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I supposes LMJS Productions LLC is too cheap to hire a third party content aggregator.
... and apparently hastily instituted on 4/4/2013

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The final chart is in. Not too bad though for it only being on iTunes!

- 31 FLEETWOOD MAC INDIE 11,478 --

Last edited by kak125; 05-07-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
Quote:
The final chart is in. They could go up a bit when billboard puts out the chart on thursday. Not too bad though for it only being on iTunes!

wow, is theirs sole indie release among top 50? that's kinda cool.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
wow, is theirs sole indie release among top 50? that's kinda cool.
yup! i was so excited to see the final numbers and am really hoping it goes up a bit when posted by billboard.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm rather impressed they sold as much as they did, given the amount of promotion it had (practically none) and the fact that it was an independent, iTunes only release.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm rather impressed they sold as much as they did, given the amount of promotion it had (practically none) and the fact that it was an independent, iTunes only release.
frankly, and in the light of discussions we had in this thread plus looking at itunes charts during their first week, it doesn't seem to add up... #31 seems much higher chart position than what i would expect. we'll see whether they crack first 50 on billboard.

does anyone here have any idea what share of the market is itunes vs amazon vs physical stores vs spotify, rhapsody, other streaming, etc?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm impressed too.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
frankly, and in the light of discussions we had in this thread plus looking at itunes charts during their first week, it doesn't seem to add up... #31 seems much higher chart position than what i would expect. we'll see whether they crack first 50 on billboard.

does anyone here have any idea what share of the market is itunes vs amazon vs physical stores vs spotify, rhapsody, other streaming, etc?
i actually think this number is lower than what i thought it would be considering they were #5 on the iTunes charts for most of the week. i would say that most people buy their music on iTunes these days so i figured they would end up in the top #20. hits daily double is very accurate so they could go up or down a spot or two but not very much.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The final chart is in. Not too bad though for it only being on iTunes!

It's remarkable it made any chart. Unfortunately, if it doesn't make an impact on the Pop 100, this isn't much of an accomplishment for an established act.