User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
PUUHHHLLLEEEEZZEEEEE - like you far lefties are above posting that kind of thing But, I still love ya anyway!!!!!
Not at all. We all do it, but we also debate the issues. I didn't see Rob even attempt to do it. He simply dismissed the film as "ridiculous," and dismisses liberals the same way. Not exactly a stimulating debate.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
With all due respect, MM himself admits his new movie is not a fair and balanced approach and it is specifically tuned to portray W in a way that will get him out of the WH. So, people can call him on it for that. Also, some of the humor used in it is ridiculous like when he used an ice cream truck to broadcast the Patriot Act to the people in Congress when everyone knows no member of Congress read all Acts they sign because there is not enough time to do that Yet, MM makes a mockery of them for it and does this to sell the film. He creates a similarly ridiculous atmosphere by the use of music to portray his points. It is mean spirited and he admits that. I am not saying he has no right to do this and that his use is not effective - he does and it is. I am just saying I think some of takes away from the journalistic integrity of the film, but he readily admits he was not going for journalistic integrity. So, even though my point is academic, it does not negate the fact that some of the film is ridiculous in that it uses xany humor to ridicule

Also, the far left aften use inciting titles and expect to be taken seriously. I am just sayin. . . . . . . .

Disclaimer: I think MM has made a good peice of, by his own admission, propoganda. I am just commenting on his style.
I did think the film was funny, and again, he is a good filmmaker. He also has every right to make whatever film he chooses. I would protect his rights the same way I would protect Gibson and his Passion.

BUT, I do think it is shown as the “truth” and many uninformed people will take it as such, especially with the far left and many media outlets singing its praises without calling BS on some of his hypotheses.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 06-28-2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, MM himself admits his new movie is not a fair and balanced approach and it is specifically tuned to portray W in a way that will get him out of the WH. So, people can call him on it for that.
Does that define ridiculous, Jason?

Quote:
Also, some of the humor used in it is ridiculous like when he used an ice cream truck to broadcast the Patriot Act to the people in Congress when everyone knows no member of Congress read all Acts they sign because there is not enough time to do that
How interesting. You think using an ice cream truck to read the Patriot Act to congressmen is ridiculous. But you don't think a system in which a law that contradicts the Bill of Rights passed by people who didn't read what they were voting on is ridiculous. Yes, Jason, I know that these guys can't possibly read everything. But a law that annuls some of what's in the Bill of Righs? Surely you're not that forgiving.

Quote:
Yet, MM makes a mockery of them for it and does this to sell the film.
Oh, Jason, you'd rather he played it straight all the way so that nobody would bother to go see it?

Quote:
I am just saying I think some of takes away from the journalistic integrity of the film, but he readily admits he was not going for journalistic integrity. So, even though my point is academic, it does not negate the fact that some of the film is ridiculous in that it uses xany humor to ridicule
With all due respect, Jason, what's ridiculous is blasting the film for his use of a comical device. That's just silly on your part.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Not at all. We all do it, but we also debate the issues. I didn't see Rob even attempt to do it. He simply dismissed the film as "ridiculous," and dismisses liberals the same way. Not exactly a stimulating debate.
I could be wrong, but I think Rob posted that to start a debate And - he has!!!!!!

BTW - HHHEEELLLLLOOOOO RRRROOOBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

est tu?? Carne!!!! no, I refuse to believe that there is not one honest man or woman in the US...

but to take back our country without resorting to good old-fashioned riots and a well-placed assassinations requires everyone not only to vote but to think and vote...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 06-28-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67
BUT, I do think it is shown as the “truth” and many uninformed people will take it as such, especially with the far left and many media outlets singing its praises without calling BS on some of his hypotheses.

Rob
Rob, your bull**** is getting more and more transparent. Really, you are beginning to look pathetic here.

Once again, why don't you enlighten us on what is "untrue" in the movie?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Figura
est tu?? Carne!!!! no, I refuse to believe that there is not one honest man or woman in the US...

but to take back our country without resorting to good old-fashioned riots and a well-placed assassinations requires everyone not only vote but to think and vote...
You know something? Right about now I wouldn't mind a couple of riots...
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
all I feel at this point is that I'm being lied to by everyone both liberal and conservative. and that's my only point...article, movie or political debate, I keep most of my opinions to myself as everyone has his own agenda even you dissention... are you really interested in educating/enlightening me or just browbeating me with your opinion, look at your signature and then look at mine
Whoa, I wasn't making things personal, there's no reason for you to do so.

I think everyone on this board who participates in these discussions tries to eduacte and enlighten people with their posts, articles, and facts. That doesn't mean we're successful, but we try. We don't just post op-eds and then cut and run.

As for my sig, the intention wasn't to browbeat you, I don't even know you. It's there as a sign of my support of the next president of the United States, Mr. John Kerry.

Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
That proves you didn't read my original post!!!

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 06-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think Rob posted that to start a debate And - he has!!!!!!

BTW - HHHEEELLLLLOOOOO RRRROOOBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, and Stevie hates black.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
With all due respect, Jason, what's ridiculous is blasting the film for his use of a comical device. That's just silly on your part.
I am not doing that. Didn't I say it was effective and met his goals - that is far from blasting the film? I liked the film, but it clearly is propoganda - MM admits this. AND - I do not blame him for using it to sell the film because as you said, which I said earlier (I think) that people will not go to see a boring doc.

ALLl I am saying is people should not act like their balloon of hope popped when people take offense to MM using humor in this way. It is a sword that cuts both ways Does anyone think MM did not know he would be attacked (which I am NOT doing) for using humor this way. Of course he did. That is why he used it

Old 06-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

blast, I actually have to work now!!! I'll be back!!

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 06-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Does that define ridiculous, Jason?
Well, actually it does - here is the stem:

Main Entry: 1rid·i·cule
Pronunciation: 'ri-d&-"kyü(&)l
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Latin; French, from Latin ridiculum jest
: the act of exposing to laughter : DERISION, MOCKERY

http://www.merriamwebster.com/cgi-bi...ry&va=ridicule

Does anyone think MM is not using the humor with derision and explicitly to mock Congress and W

here is the word:

Main Entry: ri·dic·u·lous
Pronunciation: r&-'di-ky&-l&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin ridiculosus (from ridiculum jest, from neuter of ridiculus) or ridiculus, literally, laughable, from ridEre to laugh
: arousing or deserving ridicule : ABSURD, PREPOSTEROUS
synonym see LAUGHABLE
- ri·dic·u·lous·ly adverb
- ri·dic·u·lous·ness noun

http://www.merriamwebster.com/cgi-bi...&va=ridiculous

Although I like the film, I think the use of the word is fair - at least how the word is defined by Merriam Webster I mean clearly MM is ridiculing the powers to be

Old 06-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
but to take back our country without resorting to good old-fashioned riots and a well-placed assassinations requires everyone not only to vote but to think and vote...
Yeah, that way they can pick and choose which ballots to count and then give the Supreme Court the power to select a president.

Let me get some eggs ready for inauguration day.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
ALLl I am saying is people should not act like their balloon of hope popped when people take offense to MM using humor in this way. It is a sword that cuts both ways Does anyone think MM did not know he would be attacked (which I am NOT doing) for using humor this way. Of course he did. That is why he used it
Jason, I get your point. Still, you're apparent need to make it is a bit puzzling. Are you embarrassed that you like the movie?

If people want to criticize it for tone, I say &^%$ 'em!