User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I watched various talk shows last night where "The Passion" was the topic of the hour, and I must say, I'm very sickened by this movie.

The next big thing is the Christians screaming about how they're the most maligned and persecuted religion in America. You should have seen the people making these claims last night.

The clips that they've been showing on TV of the movie are just gross and it's supposed to be even worse. I mean, when Ebert says it's the "most violent film ever made", you know somehting isn't right.

The thing I don't understand is why did Gibson make a movie that is solely about his torture and crucifixion and not at least include some of Jesus' supposed teachings? From what I hear, they don't even explain why this happens to him in the movie.

And, my final question, who is actually going to see this movie on the board?
I do not blame Gibson for making the movie because I think in general no topic should be censored from a film. I mean look at "Natural Born Killers" and that ilk. What I do think is I have the right not to go see it and to speak out against it as I did for "Natural Born Killers," etc. As for "The Passion," I think it is what it is. I think the bad part for me comes in when, as now, the religious far right is, for the most part, praising it and encouraging people to see it because they know it, like their hate speech and their blaming people not like them for the problems of the world, will bring people "a runnin'" back to them for guidance. I mean after all Pat Robertson claims to have God visit him in dreams and for $500 he tell you what God said - I will bet you $1000 what he says God told him is to give Pat more money so he can continue the crusade against the infidels - what an a$$hole Also, I find it highly hippocritical that the religious far right and a significant number of other types of people are so against violence in rap music, on t.v., etc., yet this film is one of the most violent things ever made. But, because that violence supports their agenda (which is mostly monetary IMO), the violence is okay

In sum, I think the movie for what it is and for what I have seen of it is brilliant in its general message that Christ dies for the sins of the world. I also do not find it anti-Jewish or at least not in the extremes that people are screaming about. But, the use of it to further hate through religion, esp. as it appears it will in Europe, repulses me. Perhaps I am wrong and this repulsive use of it was Gibson's intention all along

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I do not blame Gibson for making the movie because I think in general no topic should be censored from a film. I mean look at "Natural Born Killers" and that ilk. What I do think is I have the right not to go see it and to speak out against it as I did for "Natural Born Killers," etc.
Violence or no violence, Natural Born Killers was just a bad movie. It was preachy and annoying; the message glared at you, but Stone still decided to shove it down your throat. I did enjoy parts of it, though.

Sadly, you're correct and this movie will only fuel the flames of the religious agenda.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking That would be...

Quote:
Me. My dad and I are going to see it this weekend hopefully.

I'm not some right wing fanatical religious person. I'm not saying ya'll are saying I am. I grew up going to various churches with my family and I went to a Christian (Baptist...although I am not Baptist) school for 9 years. I don't attend church anymore, although from 1997 through 2000, I was a member at a church.

I realize there are people out there who are "hypocrites", but I don't have the energy to get angry with them. God will deal with them when the time comes. I believe in the "judge not, lest ye be judged" thing. We are ALL sinners, yes, even the Pope and Mother Teresa. LOL

I know I'm gonna have a HARD time watching this film, but that's the point.

I am not anti-Semitic, I don't hate ANYONE. I may not agree with things that people do or believe in, but I don't hate them for it. It's not my place to judge people.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I watched various talk shows last night where "The Passion" was the topic of the hour, and I must say, I'm very sickened by this movie.

The next big thing is the Christians screaming about how they're the most maligned and persecuted religion in America. You should have seen the people making these claims last night.

The clips that they've been showing on TV of the movie are just gross and it's supposed to be even worse. I mean, when Ebert says it's the "most violent film ever made", you know somehting isn't right.

The thing I don't understand is why did Gibson make a movie that is solely about his torture and crucifixion and not at least include some of Jesus' supposed teachings? From what I hear, they don't even explain why this happens to him in the movie.

I'm going to see it because I am a fan of Gibson's and from what I have heard about it, it is fantastic (ie. the Ebert review, etc.). I don't buy the anti-semitism charges but I will wait to see the film. All the actors and Gibson himself said there is no condemming of any one race. Jesus himself was a Jew! As were the Apostles, Mary, Simone etc....so there are good and bad. The Jews potrayed negatively are the High Council leaders, obviously they had the most to lose if Jesus became widely accepted.

The Crucifixtion is the single most important event in Christianity. That is why. Most people who will see the film already know the story and teachings...if that is what you are looking for from the film then I wouldn't recommend seeing it.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 02-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Hi Dessention. Well, Jesus' teaching are in the film. Jesus' message was "love one another." He encouraged forvigeness, even at the time of his crucifixtion, he said, "Father forgive them, they know not what they do." Jesus was about love, and the fact that he sacrificed his life for others conveys that message of love in the film. Jesus said nothing about homosexuality, forcing one's beliefs down others throats, or anything like that. He traveled among the poor, sick, and outcast people of society. His message was one of love and acceptance -- a message that I think non-Christians and Christians alike should embrace.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
The Crucifixtion is the single most important event in Christianity. That is why. Most people who will see the film already know the story and teachings...if that is what you are looking for from the film then I wouldn't recommend seeing it.

Rob
By the same token, the people who are going to attend it already know the story of the crucifixion and it really makes no sense to see it. I'm not particularly looking for anything because I have no desire to see it. Like I said, I don't believe what the Bible says or in Christianity. However, I can't help but wonder why there isn't more to the movie than the torture and crucifixion. Everything I've read about the movie says that in the beginning of the film, Jesus is simply taken and tortured, then crucified. Why not at least show the audience his teachings? What is the point in producing, marketing, and watching a two-hour snuff film? That's all.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
Hi Dessention. Well, Jesus' teaching are in the film. Jesus' message was "love one another." He encouraged forvigeness, even at the time of his crucifixtion, he said, "Father forgive them, they know not what they do." Jesus was about love, and the fact that he sacrificed his life for others conveys that message of love in the film. Jesus said nothing about homosexuality, forcing one's beliefs down others throats, or anything like that. He traveled among the poor, sick, and outcast people of society. His message was one of love and acceptance -- a message that I think non-Christians and Christians alike should embrace.
Do they actually go into the depth of Jesus' beliefs and teachings in detail, or do they simply make passing reference of it?

Old 02-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Well...

Quote:
What is the point in producing, marketing, and watching a two-hour snuff film? That's all.
it is definitely being marketed in a way that I see as embarrassing.

You can buy "merchandise" for this movie at local religious stores, Merchandise? That is a SICK joke IMO...What next, Crucifixion action figures???

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 02-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
By the same token, the people who are going to attend it already know the story of the crucifixion and it really makes no sense to see it. I'm not particularly looking for anything because I have no desire to see it. Like I said, I don't believe what the Bible says or in Christianity. However, I can't help but wonder why there isn't more to the movie than the torture and crucifixion. Everything I've read about the movie says that in the beginning of the film, Jesus is simply taken and tortured, then crucified. Why not at least show the audience his teachings? What is the point in producing, marketing, and watching a two-hour snuff film? That's all.
The movie is not about Jesus' entire life. It soley is about "The Passion," which is the only event the movie portrays. So, it is not meant to show what Jesus did in His life, etc. From that point of view, it makes sense to me that they did not go into why Jesus was there.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
The movie is not about Jesus' entire life. It soley is about "The Passion," which is the only event the movie portrays. So, it is not meant to show what Jesus did in His life, etc. From that point of view, it makes sense to me that they did not go into why Jesus was there.
You missed what I was trying to say:

What is the point in producing, marketing, and watching a two-hour snuff film?

I would honestly like to know why people made a movie that is simply about the torture and crucifixion of the supposed son of God. The people who are going to pay money to see it already know that Jesus supposedly died for their sins. This movie serves absolutely no purpose except for Gibson to make money. Anyone who tries to say that isn't the case is delusional. Just look at they pre-movie hype that he built up. He started doing it back in 2000 before he even had it financed.

I'll tell you one thing, though. I wish the late and great Pauline Kael was alive to review this film; she'd tell it like it is.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Diss...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Welcome!!

Speaking of exaggerated, I find it hard to believe in evolution. I just cannot see how something comes from nothing.
Chrissy, not nothing. The first human form was actually bacteria.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 02-26-2004 at 01:40 PM..
Old 02-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
it is definitely being marketed in a way that I see as embarrassing.

You can buy "merchandise" for this movie at local religious stores, Merchandise? That is a SICK joke IMO...What next, Crucifixion action figures???

Brian j.

They're selling t-shirts for it at my local mall.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question But...

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
The first human from was actually bacteria.
Where did the bacteria come from? It just appeared one day?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: But...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Where did the bacteria come from? It just appeared one day?
Where did God himself come from? Seriously.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Re: Re: But...

Quote:
Where did God himself come from? Seriously.
I think he came from New Jersey personally

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."