User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
compare that to the most recent Lindsey's One Man Show release that was put out within a month or so of the actual show, while LB was still on the same tour.
Well, it doesn't take much tweaking when you're playing along to pre-recorded backing tracks. I was going to see him, but then I caught a live show on TV. If he had taken the Richard Thompson approach to an one man show (literally just a man and a guitar), I may have been interested.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Well, it doesn't take much tweaking when you're playing along to pre-recorded backing tracks. I was going to see him, but then I caught a live show on TV. If he had taken the Richard Thompson approach to an one man show (literally just a man and a guitar), I may have been interested.
what live show on tv? One Man Show was never on tv. it's not a DVD, or CD, just itunes download.

yeah he took his own unique approach with great results. but why do that when he could have done the same as everyone else touring solo acoustically these days, right?

people's reaction and non-opened mind to Lindsey's One Man Show approach, without ever seeing or hearing it, has amazed me for a while now. at least you are not primarily a LB fan so i can understand your skepticism.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For most of the songs, he did. The only songs he used backing tracks for (if I recall correctly, anyway) were Stephanie and the electric songs like Come, I'm So Afraid, and GYOW.

Unless I'm having a memory lapse and he used them on all of them... I felt like the others were all just him and the acoustic.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
For most of the songs, he did. The only songs he used backing tracks for (if I recall correctly, anyway) were Stephanie and the electric songs like Come, I'm So Afraid, and GYOW.

Unless I'm having a memory lapse and he used them on all of them... I felt like the others were all just him and the acoustic.
you are not having a memory lapse - just those 4.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you are not having a memory lapse - just those 4.
why would he need a pre-recorded backing track for Stephanie??
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
In a word....YES.

It's pretty much an industry standard that "Live" albums are "sweetened" in post-production.

Dave Mason's Certified Live was one of the first ones that "outted" the practice back in the late '70s. That was opening a can o' worms...pretty much every live album that had been released in the prior few years (and there were a whole lot of them at the time...that's the "era of the double live album") was then looked at (& listened to) with jaded eyes/ears...everything from Frampton Comes Alive onward was questioned as to its "authenticity" of "live-ness".
According to peter criss the only thing live on KISS alive were the drums and Paul Stanles rsps everything else was done in the studio
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
idk. guess he wanted a bit layered guitar sound?

there is a thread with tons of live versions here http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...ight=stephanie so you can draw your own conclusions.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Quote:
In a word....YES.

It's pretty much an industry standard that "Live" albums are "sweetened" in post-production.

Dave Mason's Certified Live was one of the first ones that "outted" the practice back in the late '70s. That was opening a can o' worms...pretty much every live album that had been released in the prior few years (and there were a whole lot of them at the time...that's the "era of the double live album") was then looked at (& listened to) with jaded eyes/ears...ever
ything from Frampton Comes Alive onward was questioned as to its "authenticity" of "live-ness".
According to peter criss the only thing live on KISS alive were the drums and Paul Stanley'
s raps everything else was done in the studio
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

Quote:
In a word....YES.

Dave Mason's Certified Live was one of the first ones that "outted" the practice back in the late '70s. That was opening a can o' worms...pretty much every live album that had been released in the prior few years (and there were a whole lot of them at the time...that's the "era of the double live album") was then looked at (& listened to) with jaded eyes/ears...ever
ything from Frampton Comes Alive onward was questioned as to its "authenticity" of "live-ness".
According to peter criss the only thing live on KISS alive were the drums and Paul Stanley'
s raps everything else was done in the studio it's so horrible they had to rerecord everything
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
what live show on tv? One Man Show was never on tv. it's not a DVD, or CD, just itunes download.
My bad. It was the show they play on Palladia (which I had to turn off when the canned backing vocals for "Down On Rodeo" came on). However, I have seen YouTube clips from the One Man shows.

Quote:
yeah he took his own unique approach with great results.
I would hardly call using canned backing music and vocals a "unique approach". At best, it's glorified karaoke. Now, Lindsey USED to be great at completely rearranging his songs and turning them into something unique, like "Big Love" and "Go Insane".

Quote:
but why do that when he could have done the same as everyone else touring solo acoustically these days, right?
Find me somebody who can do what Richard Thompson does, and we'll talk.

Quote:
people's reaction and non-opened mind to Lindsey's One Man Show approach, without ever seeing or hearing it, has amazed me for a while now. at least you are not primarily a LB fan so i can understand your skepticism.
No, but I am a guitarist, and I work for an legendary indie rock band. The perfection that Fleetwood Mac seeks only makes them less relevant.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Quote:
idk. guess he wanted a bit layered guitar sound?
He doesn't need it. He likes it, for the reason Elle mentioned. That's not a surprise. He likes his songs, even live, to sound just the way he likes them to sound. I, for one, am happy with the results. Stephanie sounded awesome, and the electric stuff with the backing tracks were incredible. I was wondering how they'd sound, when I heard about him doing that, but I liked the effect. Obviously people have different tastes, so it's not for everyone, but Lindsey's mentioned that too. That his music isn't for the masses, but rather for those who get it. I'm glad I get it
Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
He doesn't need it. He likes it, for the reason Elle mentioned. That's not a surprise. He likes his songs, even live, to sound just the way he likes them to sound. I, for one, am happy with the results. Stephanie sounded awesome, and the electric stuff with the backing tracks were incredible. I was wondering how they'd sound, when I heard about him doing that, but I liked the effect. Obviously people have different tastes, so it's not for everyone, but Lindsey's mentioned that too. That his music isn't for the masses, but rather for those who get it. I'm glad I get it
I'm glad I get it too, because OMS ISA is amazing and I don't want to hear it with a band anymore. That backing track is sublime.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My bad. It was the show they play on Palladia (which I had to turn off when the canned backing vocals for "Down On Rodeo" came on). However, I have seen YouTube clips from the One Man shows.
lol. they've been playing Songs From The Small Machine Live In LA regularly on Palladia. even as a non-guitarist who doesn't work for any legendary band i can see there are 4 people on stage there, not one man and a guitar.

and also, even as a non-guitarist i can hear there's no Rodeo there.

but maybe you are talking about Soundstage from 2004? you can check the discussion in this thread http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=51232 to learn about LB's different live albums and the range of opinions people have about them. please feel free to jump in there (if you ever consider worthy taking some of your precious time to take a listen to any of them ).

there are some youtube clips of non-rehearsed acoustic versions of Down on Rodeo from last 3 tours without anything canned or pre-recorded. i think it's gorgeous but we all do enjoy different things.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Those are two different things, though. I like his music and consider him one of the great guitarists AND I want a completely live show. I'd gladly pay to see him if he didn't use pre-recorded backing tracks or have a bunch of psychobabble for stage bantar. It kind of kills me that he's taking this route for his live shows.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Those are two different things, though. I like his music and consider him one of the great guitarists AND I want a completely live show. I'd gladly pay to see him if he didn't use pre-recorded backing tracks or have a bunch of psychobabble for stage bantar. It kind of kills me that he's taking this route for his live shows.
Only 4 songs out of 13 had a backing track. And I think the only one with vocals was GYOW. You didn't even see one show so I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion it was so awful.