Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
"Wild Horses"...as a duet with Stevie.

"Wi-i-i-i-ld Hor-r-rses...couldn't drag me ay-wayyyyy"
That would kick ass. I'd like to hear him do Street Fighting Man.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 07-17-2004 at 04:04 PM..
Old 07-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Here Comes the Sun was BRILLIANT!! The emotion he had in his strained voice was anger and sadness. Looking at his face at the end of the song, there's no question his feelings about the ABC cats.
Hadn't George just passed when he did this song? I thought it had more to do with that.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
I've been thinking (insert punchline). Do you suppose Lindsey has bought any more Stones albums?
I'd bet he has quite the album collection and that he still listens to albums.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
To be fair, he seems to also have been listening to Aftermath (1966), where he got I Am Waiting, which by the way, is a rather uninteresting song in my humble opinion.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! it sounds like a campfire song. "OK, everyone, I'll sing the first part and then you repeat it. 'I am waiting, I am waiting, oh yeah, oh yeah [now you] I am waiting, I am waiting, oh yeah, oh yeah... kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya, oh yeah, oh yeah...'"

I too will not beat the HCTS horse anymore, but I will say that he has only performed it publicly once and yes, that is the performance that makes me cringe. I still don't understand why the suits would have cancelled him, though. He'd already been booked and advertised. Did they think his version would so anger viewers that they'd turn it off immediately? Puh-lease. And wouldn't they be legally obligated to keep him on? Very strange, that. It would make more sense that think they'd ask him to change it after insulting it, threatening not to let him appear on any OTHER shows if he didn't comply, and then he'd be the one to refuse to do it entirely. Who knows what went down, though.

Oh, and as for the original question, how about "Paint It Black"? I remember in a Q&A of someone they talked about the "Paint It Black" version of Rhiannon.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No one will ever persuade me that performance was anything short of brilliant. If you'd never heard the song before, you might think so also.
Sorry for bringing this to the discussion (again), but it was sort of an argument against the fact that Lindsey tends to go with "more obscure" numbers. I don't think "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" is an obscure choice either... Perhaps in his Stones addiction he could perform some well known tracks, too... and make them have 'the Lindsey touch'... far away from his version of "Here Comes The Sun", one can only hope (oh no, not this again).

Oh, I'm not a huge fan of "I Am Waiting" either.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian
Sorry for bringing this to the discussion (again), but it was sort of an argument against the fact that Lindsey tends to go with "more obscure" numbers. I don't think "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" is an obscure choice either... .
Cristian, Here Comes the Sun really is the exception to the rule, don't you think? Love Minus Zero is not exactly one of Dylan's best known numbers, like, say, Blowing in the Wind or Like a Rolling Stone. Big Yellow Taxi would be the only other one Lindsey has covered that is fairly popular. Other than that, all the Stones covers, Satisfied Mind, September Song, All My Sorrows, etc., were fairly obscure songs.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:24 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:31 PM

A band by the name of Ollabelle just covered the song I Am Waiting. It's a decent version.

I really hope Lindsey shelves this one.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To be fair, he seems to also have been listening to Aftermath (1966), where he got I Am Waiting, which by the way, is a rather uninteresting song in my humble opinion.
I haven't heard the Stones' version of I Am Waiting recently enough to remember what it sounds like. But in regards to the general idea of your statement above, I thought the Stones' version of Gotta Get Away was nothing special at all, but I loved what Lindsey did to his version of it. For that reason, even if I didn't like the Stones' I Am Waiting, I'd still be really interested in hearing the Lindsey's full finished take on it.

I agree about Lindsey often opting for more obscure covers. One or two exceptions, sure, but mostly it's the less well-known material. Also, interestingly, from what he's said, he seems to mostly select cover material first and foremost because it has a lyric that he likes, as opposed to just picking a song he thought he could easily adapt for his style (which might seem like a more natural reason for him, being a guitarist). It seems he mostly selected Love Minus Zero for the lyrics, and all of the Law & Order covers seem to have been selected more for their lyrics.

Last edited by Les; 07-18-2004 at 08:39 PM..
Old 07-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwillaker
Lindsey only gets his rocks off when he's sleeping.

That is such a great song! One of my Stones faves!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She's a Rainbow (Through the Past, Darkly, 1968, originally released in Their Satanic Majesties' Request, 1967)
I see why you picked this one, due to the melody. But I don't think I want to hear LB sing, "She comes in colors everywhere / She combs her hair/ She's like a rainbow"! Only the Stones in 1967 could get away with that!

Everything ya'll have mentioned as duets for LB and SN are awesome! Dead Flowers! Wild Horses! How about Memory Motel?! (Stevie doing Mick's part and Lindsey doing Keith's, of course.)
Old 07-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
As much as I love the song Wild Horses, I don't really want Lindsey to cover that, especially since the Gram Parsons version is so good. For me, it's one of the few covers that surpasses the original. But given that when Jagger and Richards wrote that song they were trying to write like Parsons, it's understandable.
Technically, Gram's version IS the "original", since 1) he's credited as a co-writer, and 2) he (with the Flying Burrito Bros) recorded the song almost a year before the Stones did.

Quote:
How about Love In Vain?
Lindsey? Record a Robert Johnson BLUES tune? Lord help me!

Quote:
...September Song...were fairly obscure songs.
"September Song" is FAR from "obscure"...maybe to the Rock & Roll Generation, but to our parents' generation, it's a "Standard".

Last edited by chiliD; 07-26-2004 at 11:05 AM..
Old 07-26-2004, 11:41 AM

Quote:
"September Song" is FAR from "obscure"...maybe to the Rock & Roll Generation, but to our parents' generation, it's a "Standard".
Fair enough. Then it's obscure to the audience he was targeting in 1981.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As much as I love the song Wild Horses, I don't really want Lindsey to cover that, especially since the Gram Parsons version is so good. For me, it's one of the few covers that surpasses the original. But given that when Jagger and Richards wrote that song they were trying to write like Parsons, it's understandable.
Have you heard Debbie Harry's take on "Wild Horses"? It's interesting, but it's pretty damn good. She did it with, of all people, the Jazz Passengers.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:37 PM
trackaghost
Old 07-26-2004, 03:42 PM
trackaghost
Old 07-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In fact in you can enlighten me to somewhere where it refers to Gram as a co-writer I'd be very intrigued.

But yes you are indeed right in that the Gilded Palace Of Sin came out before Sticky Fingers. Technically I would still call it a cover, since it's someone's else's song. And I still stand by my statement that Gram's is the best version.
I seem to recall my 45 of Leon Russell's version it is credited (quite possibly incorrectly) as Jagger/Richards/Parsons. And, that's what I was going by. I have Gilded Palace Of Sin on LP (as well as Sticky Fingers on CD), so I'll double-check those credits. As far as that goes, I prefer Leon Russell's version to the other two. (I think Leon based his arrangement on Gram's, BTW) All one's own taste.

Quote:
{re: "Love In Vain"} What's so funny about that? Who'd have thought Lindsey would be covering Rolling Stones' songs 10 years ago? I certainly didn't see that one coming.
Nothing...except Lindsey's publicly stated personal annoyance/dislike of the blues.

Quote:
Fair enough, but like Carne says, I'd never heard it before I bought Law & Order so to younger people it is indeed obscure.
I dunno ...it would be the same as somebody covering Beethoven's 5th Symphony, Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" or Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode"...just because a younger person hadn't heard of 'em before doesn't make 'em "obscure". It just makes it a song they hadn't been exposed to before.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nothing...except Lindsey's publicly stated personal annoyance/dislike of the blues.
Personal annoyance and dislike? I thought it was more along the lines of it simply not being his thing - it wasn't his personal favorite thing to play.

Guitar World (9/97): Was that whole blues guitar idiom that Fleetwood Mac came out of an important part of your development as a guitarist?

BUCKINGHAM: Not at all, really. Which was one of the reasons why, at first, I wasn't sure if I was going to fit in. I was more interested in songs. A 12-bar gets boring for me after the first couple of choruses. I can appreciate that there's a lot going on within that structure, but that wasn't my thing. I grew up listening to Elvis and the way Scotty Moore played, who used a pick but also used his fingers. Then I got into a lot of folk things after that and picked up the bluegrass banjo. So there's a finger style that runs through all of what I've done. I've always appreciated people who were able to incorporate the guitar into good record making; Like Chet Atkins' playing on the Everly Brothers' records. You don't really notice what he's doing, but if his guitar wasn't there, it wouldn't be a record. It's just an understated thing that comes in and goes out: a lyrical, rhythmic way of filling a hole and then receding into the background. That's something that I have always aspired to. And the blues, to me, was not that kind of craft, not that kind of mentality.

-----------
He has named Peter as an influence. He's just said that he prefers the more "ethereal blues players" (of which he thinks Peter is one).