The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
What kills me are the bass lines. The meandering, ever present sliding fretless bass lines of Jaco Pastorius. They never seem to end. When I listen to that record, and to almost all of "Night Ride Home"(my favorite Joni record), the bass lines are like ocean waves...receding, surging, thrumming endlessly like the sea. Utterly hypnotic. No one has ever duplicated it. Well, except Larry Klein, who channeled Pasotirus on "Night Ride Home." I don't know how he mastered that style. It is like magic. Nothing sounds like it.

Of course I discovered, and became enamored of Joni far after my Stevie years started. And now, she has overtaken her as the one artist who seems
the most indefinable and utterly unique and compelling artists ever. I heard her earlier, but didn't get her. I didn't know as much about music then and my ear wasn't as developed. Frankly, neither was my life or the range of emotions I could feel. There is simply so much going on - in an orchestral sense. Joni can just play the guitar and sing, and it sounds like 50 things are happening at once. She doesn't need a producer and a band. That's how complex and layered the structures are. I f*cking adore her.
I discovered her post Stevie too...I am still backtracking the Joni catalog to catch up.I am still blown away by her talent.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
Nah. Her vomitorium was that decade called "The 80's." Blech.

The 70's were aaaaalright for Joni, including Hissing. It's a great little hodgepodge of interesting songs imo .
Shades of Scarlett Conqouring is amazing!

Stevie stold the scarlett idea of 7 wonders.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Stevie stold the scarlett idea of 7 wonders.
oh possumsquat! Stevie didn't even write Seven Wonders you dildo.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower View Post
"Refuge of the Roads" !!! One of my favorite songs, ever.

Don't even get me started about "Passion Play" and "Two Grey Rooms"- and, of course, the title track... JOY!!
"Two Grey Rooms" breaks my heart...absolutely gorgeous. One of my favs.

rbs
Old 10-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
oh possumsquat! Stevie didn't even write Seven Wonders you dildo.
She added the "additional" lyrics beeyotch.
sara..tara...farrah..mascara...
Old 10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's an outtake of "Sweet Bird" from a set of Hissing Of Summer Lawns outtakes.
http://download.yousendit.com/5EEC1D1048B22C1F I think this is the same on I gave you, Sparky. The sound quality is not fantastic, but it is a pared down version of the song, and worth a listen. I wish i had some demos or outtakes from Hejira!

I did get to see Joni once, but not a full concert. I stood between her and Robbie Robertson in the backstage club, but she was chatting, and it was so casual, I couldn't bear to say anything to her. I would have blathered on about her genius and I would have felt like a dork.

Last edited by ragandbone; 10-26-2006 at 12:26 PM..
Old 10-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for posting SWEET BIRD!!
Love the piano....just gorgeous!

I think I'm gonna go home tonight and have a mini-Jonifest...

rbs
Old 10-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone View Post
Here's an outtake of "Sweet Bird" from a set of Hissing Of Summer Lawns outtakes.
http://download.yousendit.com/5EEC1D1048B22C1F I think this is the same on I gave you, Sparky. The sound quality is not fantastic, but it is a pared down version of the song, and worth a listen. I wish i had some demos or outtakes from Hejira!
Fantastic. A perfect excuse to listen to the song. I swear I feel like I have been on a week long vaction after closing my eyes and listening to this song.
The only way to explain this is that this music and her beautiful voice make me feel like I am in love. Can't imagine such a thing otherwise.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fantastic. A perfect excuse to listen to the song. I swear I feel like I have been on a week long vaction after closing my eyes and listening to this song.
The only way to explain this is that this music and her beautiful voice make me feel like I am in love. Can't imagine such a thing otherwise.
now..there's the Sparky we all know and love.
soft..and gushy and full of real feelings...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One the greatest regrets of my entire life is not seeing her on the "Both Sides Now" tour with the orchestra. I only have ever seen her at the Stormy Weather shows.

Alas, I was not a full convert yet. What a fool I was. If I ever get to see a full length show, I will weep. I will weep with joy and relief.
By some miracle of chance I was able to see Joni on the "Both Sides Now" tour in the front row, right under her mic stand (even Meryl Streep was sitting somewhere behind me). It was a pretty intense show... not just because of the orchestra and my proximity, but because of the fact that she was visibly uncomfortable. Since she was not playing the guitar or the piano, she kept rocking and forth and doing these nervous air-guitar-like gestures all night, and I don't recall her smiling at all. But I do remember that "Judgment of the Moon and Stars" was simply sublime with the orchestra arrangement... but it was painful to hear Joni trying to belt/scream out the "Heh heh heh heh heyyyy" at the crescendo... let's just say she didn't quite have the voice for it anymore. "Hejira" and "Be Cool" were the other highlights...

Anyway... I am absolutely thrilled about the new recordings, and I hope they are even angrier and bilious than the last couple of albums. Heaven knows she has a lot more fodder to eviscerate this time around. In a way, we need a new Joni album now more than EVER. I just wonder how her voice has held up, since I don't think she has given up the smokes. I suspect that it's going to be more of a piano-driven album (like her first few) since she had been complaining for years about what a pain-in-the-ass it was to play the guitar with all of the different tunings. And personally I think that guitar synthesizer thingamajig she used on "Taming the Tiger" sounded horrendous.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Anyway... I am absolutely thrilled about the new recordings, and I hope they are even angrier and bilious than the last couple of albums. Heaven knows she has a lot more fodder to eviscerate this time around. In a way, we need a new Joni album now more than EVER. I just wonder how her voice has held up, since I don't think she has given up the smokes. I suspect that it's going to be more of a piano-driven album (like her first few) since she had been complaining for years about what a pain-in-the-ass it was to play the guitar with all of the different tunings. And personally I think that guitar synthesizer thingamajig she used on "Taming the Tiger" sounded horrendous.
I prefer her voice post-1980 to the earlier stuff. With the exception of Blue and parts of For the Roses, I can barely stand to listen to her pre-Court & Spark material.

I liked the guitar synthesizer (or whatever it's called) on Taming the Tiger (which I've been listening to a lot of over the past couple of days). I also don't agree that her '80s albums were bad. I purposely stayed away from them for years because of all the negative things people had to say about them, but I must say that Wild Things was the album that really made me see what a genius she is, and how she cannot in any sense be described as a "folk singer."
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She talks more about the new album here (why won't it let me do html??): http://www.jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=1460
Old 10-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, looks like I really killed this thread.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Wow, looks like I really killed this thread.
...pretty much.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
She talks more about the new album here (why won't it let me do html??): http://www.jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=1460
You hardly killed it. I have just been too busy to respond.

Thanks you so much for this link, and more of the interview. I am super friggin excited about the entire thing.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.