The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's the perfect album for finding inspiration to face challenges, isn't it?

As a kid you think that you'll know everything by the time you're an adult. By the time you're an adult, you realize how little you know and how scary life can sometimes be. You can let the fear take you over, and sometimes it does, but you can also beat it back and you can take responsibility for yourself and go forward with some hope. This album is really perfect for making me feel like my fears are understood and appreciated and that acknowledgement is a comfort and an ecouragement to go forward with hope to whatever awaits...because I'll deal with it.

It means a great deal to me and always will. Plus, killer guitar solo on Countdown, no?
Old 03-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

I think that OOTC was an awesome album that goes beyond anything done prior to it's release. I have listened to it since I got it in 99 and have even used the first track for scholarship auditions...although, I can't play it note for note...he sped up the tape he recorded it on...

I agree that he doesn't realize how much the album meant to people...and part of that is when it came out (92, wasn't it?) the emerging popular genre was punk, grunge, and hip-hop. Classic rock and rock-pop was in a temporary slump, and OOTC was one of THE defining albums of rock-pop.

I'm trying to locate an article I read on some guitar player (If I could remember who it was, I could find it and transcribe it here for you guys) back in 01 that said that OOTC was what inspired him to record his debut album...though Mark Knopfler's (Dire Straights) first solo album was the other...but that's besides the point. I think it was Countdown that sold him, but like I said, I can't remember who it was or what magazine or e-zine I read it on...

Doing What I Can has got me through the last couple of weeks as I try to figure out how to tell my girlfriends parents that I want to propose...any other songs from any LB or Mac album that would help as well?
Old 03-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
I
Doing What I Can has got me through the last couple of weeks as I try to figure out how to tell my girlfriends parents that I want to propose...any other songs from any LB or Mac album that would help as well?
Mike..I think it's great OOTC is helping you through a happy time(ie your'e thinking of getting married!). Seems like the rest of us have been through various stages of loss and unhappiness..isn't it cool, that an album can mean different things to different folks
I'm sure Linds would be very pleased to know he's helped so many of us

Last edited by tuigirl; 03-27-2003 at 01:05 PM..
Old 03-27-2003, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Interesting choices

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
I'm trying to locate an article I read on some guitar player back in 01 that said that OOTC was what inspired him to record his debut album...though Mark Knopfler's (Dire Straights) first solo album was the other...but that's besides the point. I think it was Countdown that sold him, but like I said, I can't remember who it was or what magazine or e-zine I read it on...

Isn't that weird?

Out Of The Cradle (1992) by Lindsey Buckingham and Golden Heart (1996) by Mark Knopfler are absolutely my favorite two albums ever.

I wouldn't have bet anybody else would pick those two, guess I was wrong!

Hey, the man just got it wrong.

Old 03-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Ledgie

One man's guilt ridden angst is another man's kick in the rear to do what he knows is the right thing to do and when to do it. Sides, sometimes a sorrowfull message is in memory of the past...sort of a catharsis. It just told me that no matter what I do, things are going to happen. I just gotta do what I can, and let go of the fear and the past heartaches.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:20 PM
johnb

Hello, fellow OOTC fanatics.

I, too, continue to find OOTC just an unbelievable work of art. I've had it for about 5 or 6 years, and I break it out about every 3 months, when nobody's home, and play it at ear-splitting levels. Although the album is, for me, an uplifting experience in and of itself, from beginning to end, I must say that it kicks into highest gear for me when those piercing, opening notes on "Countdown" ring out so clear and so welcoming. That part literally grabs my body and soul and draws me right into the album; I actually get a bit of a chill, and a tear or two tends to well up. It's not that the album makes me want to cry; it's that I have such a strong visceral reaction to it for so many reasons. One, I suspect, is that I'm always desperately clinging to the brilliance of Mr. Lindsey B., and always saddened there isn't more. I'm so excited about this new album, I'm beside myself, and I'm further thrilled to the bone that he wants to begin another Mac album in a year, "from the ground up." That was the best musical news I've read in years!

Almost immediately after I purchased the album, I was so enamored of it that I wrote an overly long post shortly thereafter--I think it was about 4 or 5 years ago, unbelievably--in which I tried to convey what the album meant to me. As long as the post was/is, it doesn't capture all the emotion I feel when it plays--nothing I could ever write could capture it--but if you're like me, and you love the album from start to finish, and if it takes you to some other place musically and bodily, then you might want to read what I wrote. I don't mention this as some egocentric advertisement for my simple words--as we can all attest, I'm sure, it's somewhat uncomfortable to have others read and judge your words, plus I know there are typos in the original--but I just think that when you like or love something, it's comforting to read others' praise of that thing. It confirms our excellent taste, I suppose.

Anyway, if you care to access my heaping praise (and typos, and melodramatic style), go to the News & Archives, then the Blue Letter Archives, and scrolling all the way down (in the right frame) where Marty generously stored a few of my hyperventilations. But I meant every word, and since I suspect most, if not all, of you don't know me from Adam, the words--and thus the shared enthusiasm--will be new. For anybody still on this board who read them before, well, please ignore this entire post . . .

Cheers.

Joe
Old 04-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OOTC was purchased by me on June 18,1992 which I remember because it was also my mom's birthday. We were in Strawberries and she was looking for something new to listen to and I knew LB had his album coming out. Seeing that oblong box ( no longer being done that way ...) and seeing his picture lit up the room for me. I went home and listened to it over and over again until I had it memorized. It stayed in my CD carousel for a long time. It really helped me through some not so great times as I like to refer to the late 80's early 90's as my wastelands. Lindsey had written songs with great meaning and sang & played with such soul. OOTC is a classic album that critics raved about, loyal fans love but never hit as big as it should have.
It holds a special place in my heart. And the solo tour that followed was also a surprise and a treat!

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 04-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Hi there!!

Welcome to the Ledge, Joe!!

Unfortunately, the Ledge seems to be having problems and I wrote this LONG post earlier, but lost the entire thing. Basically, I wrote OOTC and Lindsey has changed my life. I'm a different person than I was just a couple of years ago when I found Lindsey and FM.

I read your posts on OOTC as well as your Twisted review and WOW!!!!! You write from the heart just like Lindsey and reading those made me cry. When you talked about the line "I know, you know, watching you go is like dyin'...like dyin.."...I started getting tears because of the way you were talking about it. I just listened to that song many times the other day, but NOW I have to listen to it again and really LISTEN to it....with headphones. I wanna go break out OOTC again thanks to your post!

I'm so glad that there are others who love and admire Lindsey and his music as much as me....and I'm forever grateful for the friends I've made here and around the net who love music to the INTENSITY that I do.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Aw, Joe, is it really you? Welcome back!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:46 AM
johnb

Hi, Les!

Thanks for your nice greeting. I suppose I've never "left," in the sense that I've: a) been strung along, for the last 6 years, by Lindsey ("I'd been working on a new album . . . still am, actually"), the Mac ("We'll be back!"), Mick ("I'll be going on tour with the boys"), their record company (*insert nothing here*), and my own silly little hope that this day would come, and b) my occasional visits to the board, to see if anything was cooking. Well, in the words of some commercial mom from my childhood, "It's soup!"

I'm sorry the old boy isn't going to do a solo album, and from the looks of it, will probably never do one, but I'm thrilled that his too-small small body of work is about to expand significantly. (Of course, I look at every Mac piece as a bit of Lindsey, being the "sonic architect"--was that the term?--of the group.) I can't believe the new album is 18 songs. How great is that?!

By the way, Les, I downloaded a different kind of artistic masterpiece, your Lindsey newsletter ("Eyes of the World," maybe?), a year or so ago. It was really, REALLY well done (not that I'd expect any different from you, of course). I recall being exhausted at the thought of how long it must've taken you to put it together. Nice job! Now you've gotta sell some subscriptions . . .

Anyway, I hope to post a little now and then, considering what's happening. I feel like being a part of it again, as we all do in our little ways, eh? I'm really knocked out by the progress that Marty and Lisa have made on this site; it's truly amazing, and puts the other "official" (*cough* *barf*) site to absolute shame.

See ya soon.

Joe
Old 04-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Joe,

Yes, I've got such mixed feelings about the fate of the solo career. I might suspect that fatherhood has changed his outlook on just how much time he feels he should dedicate himself to the long, hard path to solo albums. I want for him that option because I love that side of him, but at the same time, he's ready to be in the Mac again and I'm so happy about that. Eighteen songs indeed!

Quote:
By the way, Les, I downloaded a different kind of artistic masterpiece, your Lindsey newsletter ("Eyes of the World," maybe?), a year or so ago. It was really, REALLY well done (not that I'd expect any different from you, of course). I recall being exhausted at the thought of how long it must've taken you to put it together. Nice job! Now you've gotta sell some subscriptions . . .
Aw, thanks. I feel a little sheepish because I did mean to do more of those, but a few other priorities in life took over for a while. They were great fun to do. I've been working on a Lindsey website lately, which will perhaps replace that newsletter noodling I was doing. ;-)

Quote:
Anyway, I hope to post a little now and then, considering what's happening. I feel like being a part of it again, as we all do in our little ways, eh? I'm really knocked out by the progress that Marty and Lisa have made on this site; it's truly amazing, and puts the other "official" (*cough* *barf*) site to absolute shame.
Yes, yes! I guess another "new unveiling" of the "official site" is due on the 15th, but I'm not quite giddy with anticipation. Hehe. The Penguin is a hard act to follow.

It'll be wonderful to see you around again!

Last edited by Les; 04-09-2003 at 12:04 PM..
Old 04-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Hi there!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I read your posts on OOTC as well as your Twisted review and WOW!!!!! You write from the heart just like Lindsey and reading those made me cry. When you talked about the line "I know, you know, watching you go is like dyin'...like dyin.."...I started getting tears because of the way you were talking about it. I just listened to that song many times the other day, but NOW I have to listen to it again and really LISTEN to it....with headphones.
Hi Joe: Your words have been sorely missed - good to see you. I too remember being so moved by your Twisted review and think it's one of the best duets Stevie and Lindsey have ever done. It would be nice to hear them do it live, wouldn't it? Glad you're back to join the fun.

Barbara
Old 04-11-2003, 04:00 PM
johnb

Les, Barbara,

Thanks very much.

AMAZING how time flies . . .
Old 04-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Joe, it's great to see you back!!We've missed you!

There’s a shadow on my daddy’s stone, where he was laid, laid to rest.
I ask him is this just a dream, or is it just another test?
I turn my back against the cold, I turn my face into the wind
And I wonder will I ever, ever make it home again?
Shadow on daddy’s stone, ten years gone, it seems
I ask him will I ever stop, ever stop dreaming dreams?!
He said never, never, never

This has to be the most hauntingly beautiful song Lindsey ever wrote -except maybe DWSuite.

This is the song that hooked me on the album because, like Lindsey, I lost my father in my 20's. It expresses so well what it feels like to lose a parent when you are young.

I bought OOTC because the Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars. At the time I didn't realize that Lindsey was the man behind FM's "sound". Once I heard "Don't Look Down" I knew who made that beautiful music. I've been a Lindsey fanatic ever since=:-)

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 04-17-2003, 01:35 PM
johnb

Hi, Vianna.

Thanks for saying "hi."

As I read about that great album, and think about it, I realize that people who really love it could probably go on about it for days, weeks, months, years. I suppose we merely confirm the importance and relevance of art in our life, and history: we look at it, feel it, interpret it, and continue to do so, ad infinitum, and it continues to touch us, sometimes in new and exciting ways, but just as often in the old and comforting ways.

I just bought the 2-CD "Say You Will." I've been so desperate for new music from these folks that I shelled out an additional eight bucks for a couple of other songs and the two live versions. I'm waiting until nobody's home—which will be next Tuesday—and then I'm going to turn the volume WAY up and take the Nestea plunge.

Can't wait. Until then, I'm not listening to or reading anything about it. I want to experience every note with untainted ears.

Talk to you soon.

Joe