The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mable Normands family estate needs to as Sean and Gus from pshych would say suuuucccck it! This song is going to create more awareness of mable then ever before, we'll at least since her actual time.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Normand family estate comments on the Stevie Nicks interviews
Stephen Normand’s statement on the interviews/articles regarding Stevie Nicks:

My great aunt Mabel Normand (my grandfather’s sister) died of tuberculosis. Though I am grateful Ms Nicks found Mabel as her lifesaver, presently there isn’t documented proof of cocaine addiction. Whatever documentary Ms Nicks watched was/is based on hearsay. Any sanatorium stays aunt Mabel experienced were for tuberculosis and pneumonia. Mabel Normand’s septum was without a hole as Ms Nicks herself suffered. Rather than living on in the memory of the song written & named “Mabel Normand” by Stevie Nicks. My great aunt Mabel is immortalized in the rather more tasteful Broadway Musical score of MACK & MABEL by the legendary Jerry Herman. Mabel Normand I would agree with Ms Nicks was beautiful,talented, rich, sophisticated and the premiere comedienne of the Silent Screen. Mabel was also the only woman to direct Charlie Chaplin, had her own film company, one of the first women directors and over 100 films to her credit. Mabel Normand died 23 February 1930 at Pottenger’s Sanitorium of tuberculosis (as on her death certificate) aged 38. Stephen Normand - Archivist of the Mabel Normand Family Estate

http://mabelnormandofficial.tumblr.c...ie-nicks#notes
And no one would know your aunt's name today except that Stevie Nicks has written a song about her. Nice potshot about the nose. Geez. That was not very classy. Does this person realize how beloved Stevie is and that she wouldn't write this song to hurt Mable Normand's family? Booooo!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While researching early 1900's cocaine use look who's name pops up...Cocaine was legal until 1914...The Taylor murder (in the article below) is linked to Mabel Normand

Cocaine Arrives in the Twentieth Century

Cocaine History: Circa 1900-1990s
Snorting Cocaine
After the Harrison Narcotic Act that identified cocaine as a forbidden substance in 1914, cocaine abuse was a rather quiet phenomenon for several decades, with just a few exceptions.

"Hollywood was one of those exceptions. In the early days of silent films, with screen stars who had just weeks before been shop girls and stage hands, and big money deals for studios and stars, drugs and immorality were rampant. Opiates, alcohol and cocaine were usually the drugs mentioned. The murder of William Desmond Taylor, a director for Paramount Studios, was said to perhaps have been related to the cocaine addiction of movie star and good friend Mabel Normand.

And there was beautiful young Olive Thomas, wife to star (and drug addict) Jack Pickford, who died from an apparent suicide in Paris. Jack and Olive were on their honeymoon. A US Army officer convicted of selling cocaine was supposed to have had her name on a list of regular customers.

Tallulah Bankhead was another well-known Hollywood cocaine addict, though she was more discreet about her habit. She has been quoted as saying, "Don't tell me cocaine is habit-forming. I've been taking it for seventeen years and I ought to know."

Many silent movies between 1910 and 1920 featured plots dealing with drug abuse, drug trafficking and drug enforcement activity. After the Taylor murder, studios began to watch their stars more closely and moralistic audiences, hearing of drug-induced debauchery from Hollywood gossip sources, began to avoid the movies. Illegal drug use in movies was banned in the 1930 Motion Picture Code. The movies might not portray drug abuse any longer, but the problem didn't go away. It just wasn't big news until the 1970s"

Mabel may not have been an addict ( was cocaine even considered addictive 100 years ago ) but her partying / drug use seems well known. Stevie is not portraying Mabel in a bad light either in the song or in interviews and I'm sure the additional attention Stevie is getting Mabel will result in increased revenue so why is the estate so bothered by this?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Normand family estate comments on the Stevie Nicks interviews
Stephen Normand’s statement on the interviews/articles regarding Stevie Nicks:

My great aunt Mabel Normand (my grandfather’s sister) died of tuberculosis. Though I am grateful Ms Nicks found Mabel as her lifesaver, presently there isn’t documented proof of cocaine addiction. Whatever documentary Ms Nicks watched was/is based on hearsay. Any sanatorium stays aunt Mabel experienced were for tuberculosis and pneumonia. Mabel Normand’s septum was without a hole as Ms Nicks herself suffered. Rather than living on in the memory of the song written & named “Mabel Normand” by Stevie Nicks. My great aunt Mabel is immortalized in the rather more tasteful Broadway Musical score of MACK & MABEL by the legendary Jerry Herman. Mabel Normand I would agree with Ms Nicks was beautiful,talented, rich, sophisticated and the premiere comedienne of the Silent Screen. Mabel was also the only woman to direct Charlie Chaplin, had her own film company, one of the first women directors and over 100 films to her credit. Mabel Normand died 23 February 1930 at Pottenger’s Sanitorium of tuberculosis (as on her death certificate) aged 38. Stephen Normand - Archivist of the Mabel Normand Family Estate

http://mabelnormandofficial.tumblr.c...ie-nicks#notes
I don't see Stephen Normand as being unhappy. He just wants to set the record straight about his Great Aunt. He is not putting any onus on Stevie's song. He is putting into question that the documented information that has informed both public opinion as well as Stevie's lyrics and perceptions isn't entirely true. He is trying to protect Mabel's legacy.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-07-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Old 10-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really understand why so many Ledgies love Stevie's song Mabel Normand. I like the music, but the lyrics are nonsensical crap.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
I don't really understand why so many Ledgies love Stevie's song Mabel Normand. I like the music, but the lyrics are nonsensical crap.
THANK YOU!

They are all just comparing it to the demo (The new version BLOWS the demo out of the water because of the music)

Shes barely singing, shes talking to fast! I'm trying to understand what she's saying but she is talking to fast just to keep up with the music

I like the ending, but it is not my favorite part of the album like it is for stevie
Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
THANK YOU!

They are all just comparing it to the demo (The new version BLOWS the demo out of the water because of the music)

Shes barely singing, shes talking to fast! I'm trying to understand what she's saying but she is talking to fast just to keep up with the music

I like the ending, but it is not my favorite part of the album like it is for stevie
They aren't "all" doing this because I never heard the demo and I still love the song.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
[U]
Well, comparing it to the demo doesn't make it any better, in my book. After the praise I heard/read here, I was running to hear the finished song thinking it would be a complete departure from the demo -- when WUT??

Michele
Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyinscarlet View Post
And no one would know your aunt's name today except that Stevie Nicks has written a song about her.
Well, I would never say that. It depends on your age and how interested you are in movie history.

Michele
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, I would never say that. It depends on your age and how interested you are in movie history.

Michele
Chances are people buying the Stevie album aren't remembering actresses from the 20's. If he's going to claim defamation, I mean, really? Sue the makers of the documentary she watched then. He just seems to be snarking at Stevie, when Stevie wasn't really being uncomplimentary to Ms. Normand. His thing is, 'How dare you!?" then goes on to insult Stevie.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe the family is upset over the fact that now when you Google "Mabel Normand" the first thing that comes up is STEVIE NICKS
Old 10-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree about these BS documentary's with crappy sourced research and people who dont know what they are talking about. Nobody want to do their homework anymore Again its the media with their twist and turns.Its like the outrage from the media in my neighborhood a couple years ago when my neighbor was setting a couple of firework in the woods. They were making up stories that he was making bombs.

Again in 50 years from now . I cant even imagine what will be said about Stevie.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I agree about these BS documentary's with crappy sourced research and people who dont know what they are talking about. Nobody want to do their homework anymore Again its the media with their twist and turns.Its like the outrage from the media in my neighborhood a couple years ago when my neighbor was setting a couple of firework in the woods. They were making up stories that he was making bombs.

Again in 50 years from now . I cant even imagine what will be said about Stevie.
As far as Stevie goes she readily admits things...As for the Normand family this stuff is all over the place are they going to fight the entire internet over something that happened 100 years ago? If this new interest in Mabel Normand results in possible development of a movie or cable show about her will the family turn it down because it might include allegations of her drug use?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyinscarlet View Post
Chances are people buying the Stevie album aren't remembering actresses from the 20's.
Well, I'm younger than Stevie and I knew about Mabel Normand long before I knew about Nicks.

That is not to say that I think Stephen Normand's point is valid. I don't. I actually think his statement is designed to get publicity and stems more from that motive than from indignation.

I just am not going to credit Stevie for popularizing Mabel Normand any more than I'm going to credit her for Greta Garbo. And really when scandals are involved (Fatty Arbuckle's, for example) the star's legend lives on longer than their work does -- which is sad, I guess.

Michele
Old 10-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think the descendants of Mabel Normand are rallying against Stevie. One message from a very distant relative who felt the need to clarify his perspective doesn't amount to anything.

Stevie's song just stirs up a history of thought/ documentation/media, that portray aspects of Mabel's life the family would rather not address.

In a way, his statement has a positive side: it brings Mabel back into public consciousness, and provides Stevie more exposure.

Some fans will dislike the song. Some fans will love it. There is no indifference. Congratulations Stevie! This just is more confirmation that you are a genuine artist.

Side note: Check out the infamous propaganda film Reefer Madness from the 1930s. ( It's on DVD in black and white, and a more recent colorized version!) It portrays pot smokers as the bane of society -- crooks and murders-- whose fate is death and destruction. I recommend you smoke some of that "demon" weed before you watch it; you will get a lot laughs out of it.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-07-2014 at 10:34 PM..