User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Same here. The Dance was what got me into FM and "Silver Spring" was one of those ethereal moments. I'm not kidding.

I think they will skip it on this tour. Anyway, it was awful during these last tours. None of them, nor Lindsey nor Stevie were into the song anymore.

IDWTK is what got me hooked to this band in 1977 but when I heard Silver Springs months later that became in my the top 5 of the " Rumours" tracks instantly. I still prefer the studio version over the Dance version but when they did this in 1997 I was blown away. I love both versions.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Same here. The Dance was what got me into FM and "Silver Spring" was one of those ethereal moments. I'm not kidding.

I think they will skip it on this tour. Anyway, it was awful during these last tours. None of them, nor Lindsey nor Stevie were into the song anymore.
i don't know. Silver Springs was the last song that i will apparently ever hear FM sing together, in March 2015. it was gorgeous. i can't listen to it now though, without crying.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-14-2018, 08:10 PM
McLamb
This message has been deleted by McLamb.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't know. Silver Springs was the last song that i will apparently ever hear FM sing together, in March 2015. it was gorgeous. i can't listen to it now though, without crying.
It is probably my favorite song, and one of the most beautiful Stevie ever wrote. I can't see it going over well on this tour---singing it to Neil Finn. No bueno
Old 05-14-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
It is probably my favorite song, and one of the most beautiful Stevie ever wrote. I can't see it going over well on this tour---singing it to Neil Finn. No bueno
gross...
Old 05-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLamb View Post
I’ve heard this story so many times over the past 40 years, and always wondered — if “Silver Springs” was too long at the time, why didn’t they simply edit it just a bit, and shorten “Gold Dust Woman” a little to make the 22 minutes? GDW, for me, goes on about a minute too long,
There would have been no problem including "Silver Springs" on Rumours if side 2 had been 22 minutes. SS had already been edited to about 4 1/2 minutes. Replace IDWTK with SS and do the math. It fits.

All sides on Rumours and Tusk were held to 20 minutes. You can do the math yourself.

Someone in FM seems to have been determined to achieve maximum sound quality, even if it meant possibly alienating the biggest star in the band.

I wonder if everyone in the band was aware how easy it would have been to include SS on Rumours. All they had to do was hold side 2 to 22 minutes instead of 20 minutes.

Mirage, and other FM albums, had sides of 22 minutes. I seem to recall that Stevie's early solo albums had 22 minute sides.

If memory serves me correctly, all sides on LB's early solo albums and Buckingham Nicks were held to 20 minutes.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think leaving it off the album was the best choice. Obviously it's a brilliant song that deserved to have been heard and I'm glad it was, but Rumours had enough of that type of 'type' of Stevie song, with Dreams and especially Gold Dust Woman. Gold Dust Woman in all of its long, dramatic-ness was the PERFECT album closer with those wails at the end but it would have been strange to include a song like Silver Springs as anything other than a closer, so it just wouldn't have worked. I Don't Want to Know (personally one of my favorites) was a perfect lighthearted, fun Stevie song that sounded terrific with her and Lindsey in their Everly Brothers style harmony going the whole way through and whose sound blended perfectly in the album. Personally I would not have changed the way it happened.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Seems to me they play I Don't Want To Know an awful lot on this channel. No complaints cause I like the song, esp the parts I clap along with. I wonder if they plan on doing this song on the tour? Wouldn't that be a bummer. I'd be half excited about them playing it and half disgusted that LB isn't doing the song.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How was Jackson Browne or CSN/CSNY an influence? Also, have they played any Crowded House yet?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jesus. If Stevie is STILL sore about Silver Springs, after ALL these years, she really does have a problem letting things go.

But we didnt need proof of that. The way shes been using LB as inspiration for songs and her muse all these years, as well as all her other lovers she dumped, jilted or moved on from. Uhg.

The "glamorous gorgeous jilten woman unlucky in love schtick" is SO overplayed and TIRED. Give it up Grandma. IT was still cute in 1997.. and it was getting old in 2003. But now you are just a bitter old woman with too much makeup. Write about that. Might be the best stuff of your career!
Old 05-14-2018, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
How was Jackson Browne or CSN/CSNY an influence? Also, have they played any Crowded House yet?
I haven't heard any Crowded House.

Isn't Stevie a fan of Jackson Browne and CSN? Those are probably her picks. Anyway, I've always seen a correlation between Browne and Stevie's writing styles... I think it's the way the emote.

Still no Buckingham solo, either.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Jackson Browne, The Eagles, maybe a few others are what I'd consider their contemporaries not an influence. I wish they'd play more Mac and less of this stuff.

Still no Buckingham Nicks, no BuckVie and no Lindsey solo. Even Stevie's solo stuff is limited:I haven't heard anything from TISL, Street Angel, IYD, 24K.

There's so much more they could be playing (maybe I haven't heard it yet) like Cool Water and My Little Demon. They could play album sides. They could play a studio version and live version back to back.

I don't see how this channel doesn't get extended. Maybe they're holding back so they'll add more when the channel goes beyond May.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
There's so much more they could be playing (maybe I haven't heard it yet) like Cool Water
I heard that one last week. I always try to distinguish John in the mix on that song.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Jackson Browne, The Eagles, maybe a few others are what I'd consider their contemporaries not an influence. I wish they'd play more Mac and less of this stuff.

Still no Buckingham Nicks, no BuckVie and no Lindsey solo. Even Stevie's solo stuff is limited:I haven't heard anything from TISL, Street Angel, IYD, 24K.

There's so much more they could be playing (maybe I haven't heard it yet) like Cool Water and My Little Demon. They could play album sides. They could play a studio version and live version back to back.

I don't see how this channel doesn't get extended. Maybe they're holding back so they'll add more when the channel goes beyond May.
We know why no solo LB and no BN are being played. It’s the tambourine witch wielding her evil broom and laying down the law.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
Jesus. If Stevie is STILL sore about Silver Springs, after ALL these years, she really does have a problem letting things go.

But we didnt need proof of that. The way shes been using LB as inspiration for songs and her muse all these years, as well as all her other lovers she dumped, jilted or moved on from. Uhg.

The "glamorous gorgeous jilten woman unlucky in love schtick" is SO overplayed and TIRED. Give it up Grandma. IT was still cute in 1997.. and it was getting old in 2003. But now you are just a bitter old woman with too much makeup. Write about that. Might be the best stuff of your career!
She sounds like Miss Haversham from Great Expectations....
or the female lead in Sunset Boulevard ..
😂😂😂
Old 05-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I heard that one last week. I always try to distinguish John in the mix on that song.
Oh, good! I hope to hear it soon. I do the same listening for John. After my mother in law died we cleaned out her house and found boxes of records. Mostly junk but I found a 78 of Cool Water and had to keep it.