User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I believe(and I could be completely wrong), that they sent GYOW to a few DJs, BEFORE the acoustic guitar part(duh de duh de) was added, and that's to what the DJ was referring.

Then Lindsey added the acoustic part, which really brought it all together, after the DJ's comment.

But that's how I remember it. Your mileage may vary...
No, I think the Dj was just referring to the odd beat in general. I don't think he went back and added after it was pre released. He did add the acoustic counter guitar at the very last minute though. BTW Homer I started a new thread based on this article about the situation. When you read what the writer says about Stevie it's hilarious. Right up your alley.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
No, I think the Dj was just referring to the odd beat in general. I don't think he went back and added after it was pre released. He did add the acoustic counter guitar at the very last minute though. BTW Homer I started a new thread based on this article about the situation. When you read what the writer says about Stevie it's hilarious. Right up your alley.
You're probably right. What is that from, "Making of Rumours"? I've not watched any FM discs in months now, and I really don't want to for a while. I've been on an Eagles kick. They actually seem less dysfunctional than FM, as if that was possible!
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I Don't Want to Know

I never knew that "I Don't Want to Know" was considered for the "Fleetwood Mac" record. Lindsey (love hearing his thoughts on FM radio) said the song was rejected because there were too many similar uptempo songs already for the FM record - assuming Monday Morning, Blue Letter, Say You Love Me, and Sugar Daddy are those songs.

What a big change to both FM and "Rumours" if somehow IDWTK was selected for the first record with Stevie and Lindsey - assuming it would have replaced "Blue Letter" since it wasn't written by one of the three or maybe "Crystal". And I assume "Silver Springs" would have made it on "Rumours" although we may have not gotten that terrific "Dance" version of the song if it did. The band made the right decisions for those two records, imho!

Interesting stuff this radio station is..
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I never knew that "I Don't Want to Know" was considered for the "Fleetwood Mac" record. Lindsey (love hearing his thoughts on FM radio) said the song was rejected because there were too many similar uptempo songs already for the FM record - assuming Monday Morning, Blue Letter, Say You Love Me, and Sugar Daddy are those songs.

What a big change to both FM and "Rumours" if somehow IDWTK was selected for the first record with Stevie and Lindsey - assuming it would have replaced "Blue Letter" since it wasn't written by one of the three or maybe "Crystal". And I assume "Silver Springs" would have made it on "Rumours" although we may have not gotten that terrific "Dance" version of the song if it did. The band made the right decisions for those two records, imho!

When I first heard the Dance version, I didn't like it. Now, I love it. The singing is a bit bellowed.. .but in the end.. the emotion, piano, guitar, harmonies, and STevie's stage presence make it a wonderful experience.

She knocked it out of the park, even tho she didn't have the vocal chops of the Rumours days.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Silver Springs" - the Dance version - was what got me into Fleetwood Mac... The fantastic song was taken up a notch by the interplay between Stevie and Lindsey. I've seen her perform it just staring straight ahead into space and I can tell you... during that song, when Lindsey's gone, the stage presence is gone, too. They might as well drop that song now.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
"Silver Springs" - the Dance version - was what got me into Fleetwood Mac... The fantastic song was taken up a notch by the interplay between Stevie and Lindsey. I've seen her perform it just staring straight ahead into space and I can tell you... during that song, when Lindsey's gone, the stage presence is gone, too. They might as well drop that song now.
There's no point in doing that song. Unless, she sings to Mike. And then she can come back with one of her false stories about how it was really written for him.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
There's no point in doing that song. Unless, she sings to Mike. And then she can come back with one of her false stories about how it was really written for him.
OMFG, I can totally hear that loon saying that!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
OMFG, I can totally hear that loon saying that!!!
I knew I was going to work with someone like Mike. And I just had to meet him. When I wrote Silver Springs, I was thinking of working with other guitarists and finally in 1980 I met him. Well I just knew Silver Springs was for him. It just happened that way. Silver Springs is a good old song.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:

This is very interesting, I'm thinking of an alternate universe where I don't want to know took the place of Blue letter and it was that song being performed during all their old tours.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been listening to FM on the Sirius/XM channel the past few weeks they've been on. Its been a fascinating ride. There's some outtakes of early songs (and even later ones) . I've also come to realize that there's a LOT of FM songs that I don't like as well. Particularly early, pre-Lindsey/Stevie stuff.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
IA. They most likely will drop it from the setlist but in the case that they continued performing it, it would be just appalling.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think because her songs were always softer, her voice was always deeper and she used better techniques for persevering her voice when she was younger whereas Stevie and Lindsey had higher voices and screamed a lot when they sang, which sounded great when they were younger but probably not the best way to maintain a voice.
Christine had a classical music training so she very likely learned to sing with a healthy technique.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So I heard today that Christine said "Hypnotized" was the first time she realized she could harmonize with Bob Welch. Really? I though that was a bit odd. After all, they had already been in the band together for 2 yrs. They never harmonized on other songs, either on record, or in concert? Maybe I'm making too much of the comment, but I thought I'd throw it out here.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I assume "Silver Springs" would have made it on "Rumours" although we may have not gotten that terrific "Dance" version of the song if it did.
Silver Springs was always to be on Rumours, and was only replaced with IDWTK because of the length of Silver Springs. Albums in 1977 were limited to 22 minutes per side as they were on vinyl.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Same here. The Dance was what got me into FM and "Silver Spring" was one of those ethereal moments. I'm not kidding.

I think they will skip it on this tour. Anyway, it was awful during these last tours. None of them, nor Lindsey nor Stevie were into the song anymore.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.