The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Yep, that was a potato bug! UGLY arent they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Hohmigod - Potato Bugs *shudder* you mean those really giant bugs with two sections, right? (some people call rolly bugs potato bugs). One morning, I had gotten ready for 8th grade, and I had put my Vans on, and i kept feeling something in my toe. So I took my shoe off, tapped the toe, and out plops this GIANT potato bug! It was like, an inch and a half long, and as fat as a mouse! I was soooooo scared, and I just panicked. I froze, deciding what to do, and I couldn't get near the thing. Finally, i woke up my dad (who was pissed, cause he had worked swing shift) and was shaking, and almost crying, and was like "dad! DAD!!!!" and then i told him, and he was like "you woke me up for a BUG?!" and i was all "Dad, it's huge!" Also, my mom and I both pretty much flee while screaming and panicking from anything that resembles a wasp/hornet/yellow jacket. One night five or so got into my house, my cat alerted me, and the one that got on my curtain by my ceiling? that i couldn't reach with spray? I sat and stared at that bastard for 45 MINUTES. i was so scared, and wouldn't let it out of my sight!
Anyways, sorry for the big thing, bugs just freak me out.
Bugs dont freak me out, except for wasps, and hornets, they are aggressive and I like to get them before they get me, also I destroy any nests I find.
as for bugs in general, most of them get a yawn from me...although there was this one time I tried to drown a tomato worm and after about 5 minutes in the water, I fished it out and poked it and about jumped 3 ft up when it bent double at me! I HATE them things! so, lessee: spiders, wasps/hornets, potato bugs, and tomato worms....oh yeah scorpions too, but Ive never seen a live one, only plastic paperweight ones...they sure are UGLY!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
I am NOT a big city people. I live 3000ft up, where the minds get narrower along with the roads. where every garage has a junked car, every yard has a dog and every dog has an attitude. The basic uniform is jeans/teeshirt, and tobacco in a can in your back pocket, a gun in the truck a scraggly beard on your face and maybe a few teeth. so THERE!
then quit acting like one (levity)
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I suggest it is in our DNA to enjoy it. Man must eat to survive and we are carnivores. I fully understand that one can make the choice to be a vegetarian and that man has evolved to the point where we do not have to eat the meat from the carcass (at least raw and in the wild as opposed to the Publix rotissere chicken ) but we are carnivores. Thus, I suggest, like the drive for males to ejaculate is innate, the drive to kill and eat is as well. Both, however and again, are controllable.
Actually, we are less carnivores than Omnivores. And in fact the nature of our intestinal tract shows this; it is much less well suited to digest meat than a real carnivores. It is long and windy, which suggest suitability for digesting grains, nuts, etc., rather than so much meat. Carnivores have straighter digestive tracts.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Hey if you want to call man a natural predator, fine! but I say, do away with the unnatural weapons! go back to the bow, and give the animal a fighting chance!
You and I agree on a lot of things, but personally I would rather see someone hunt with a rifle than a bow.
Sure, a bow gives the animal a "fighting chance" in regards to getting away, but from everything I've read, the pain and suffering they feel from a bow wound lasts longer than from a gunshot wound.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
A bow is a natural weapon, darling? Try a rock or a stick.
yes, it is my dear! its made of sinew and wood. and, its what the natives used when deer were actually part of our natural food chain, which is my point. a gun artificially tips the odds in favor of the hunter every time.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Bugs dont freak me out, except for wasps, and hornets, they are aggressive and I like to get them before they get me, also I destroy any nests I find.
as for bugs in general, most of them get a yawn from me...although there was this one time I tried to drown a tomato worm and after about 5 minutes in the water, I fished it out and poked it and about jumped 3 ft up when it bent double at me! I HATE them things! so, lessee: spiders, wasps/hornets, potato bugs, and tomato worms....oh yeah scorpions too, but Ive never seen a live one, only plastic paperweight ones...they sure are UGLY!
yeah, my dad made my mom this scorpion encased in whatever necklace. That damn thing was around my whole life, and freaked me out! So, we've established we both kill bugs, i guess... Oh, and that Potato bugs are heinous.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually, we are less carnivores than Omnivores. And in fact the nature of our intestinal tract shows this; it is much less well suited to digest meat than a real carnivores. It is long and windy, which suggest suitability for digesting grains, nuts, etc., rather than so much meat. Carnivores have straighter digestive tracts.
while that may be true, our teeth are meant to eat meat and I know of no little kid that does not salivate at the smell of meat cooking. Later on they may make the choice not to eat it, but the initial smells draw them
Old 02-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
then quit acting like one (levity)
Well, I aint actually of the mindset up here either! some of the attitudes up here just amaze me! But, I am happy to say, I dont have a truck (I have a Jeep!) or a gun or a dog! I still have my teeth and I dont chew tobacco!
Plus, its great fun rousing the rabble and polluting their otherwise pristine Conservative backwaters with my insidious liberal lefty thinking! What fun!

Last edited by irishgrl; 02-12-2005 at 11:37 PM..
Old 02-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, and that Potato bugs are heinous.
Aww, I dig potato bugs. We used to play with them when we were little. Potato Bugs, Daddy Long Legs and worms.

Of course, we were boys... and little boys play with squirmy things. It prepares them for when they're bigger boys!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I aint actually of the mindset up here either! some of the attitudes up here just amaze me! But, I am happy to say, I dont have a truck (I have a Jeep!) or a gun or a dog! I still have my teeth and I dont chew tobacco!
Plus, its great fun rousing the rabble and polluting their otherwise pristine Conservative backwaters with my insisious liberal lefty thinking! What fun!
I sort of feel that way when I go to my hometown They know by now just not to argue with me - one time, I actually handed out materials I had printed and INDEXED in anticipation of the neocon crap
Old 02-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
You and I agree on a lot of things, but personally I would rather see someone hunt with a rifle than a bow.
Sure, a bow gives the animal a "fighting chance" in regards to getting away, but from everything I've read, the pain and suffering they feel from a bow wound lasts longer than from a gunshot wound.
to me the idea of the animal getting away is very comforting. I am a bit surprised to hear that an arrow wound is more painful than a gunshot wound. I wonder how one determines that? isnt pain pain? Still, if you are right, thats a point that I never considered (frankly I didnt know such a comparison existed)
Old 02-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
while that may be true, our teeth are meant to eat meat and I know of no little kid that does not salivate at the smell of meat cooking. Later on they may make the choice not to eat it, but the initial smells draw them
My sister, actually. She has never liked meat of any kind and has never eaten it, only when she was forced to.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
to me the idea of the animal getting away is very comforting. I am a bit surprised to hear that an arrow wound is more painful than a gunshot wound. I wonder how one determines that? isnt pain pain? Still, if you are right, thats a point that I never considered (frankly I didnt know such a comparison existed)
A cross bow is a very effective weapon. Sadly, most do not know how to use them.

The scary thing about a rifle is the bullet can travel for like a mile depending on the caiber and many miss

Again, I think guns are WAY to accessible to the general masses and people ought to earn the right to have one. But, that is just me
Old 02-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Aaack!

GASP! LOOK! there it IS! immortalized forever in the QUOTE window, a typo!
I told you I was anal! I fixed it in the original but TOO LATE! Ol Jason Johnny on the Spot already had me quoted and forever fixed it for eternity! GAD!

Quote:
Plus, its great fun rousing the rabble and polluting their otherwise pristine Conservative backwaters with my insisious liberal lefty thinking! What fun!
can I just say: THANKS A HEAP JASON OLD BUDDY!

Last edited by irishgrl; 02-12-2005 at 11:43 PM..
Old 02-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
My sister, actually. She has never liked meat of any kind and has never eaten it, only when she was forced to.
I suggest she is an anomaly AND - even as a baby - when she smelled meat she cringed? I do not think that is too common