Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Totally agree. I have never understood why some are unhappy with it. Her voice is in top form, the songs are all catchy (some stronger than others, but all catchy)....

Giving it Back, Forgiveness, Friend--they are all classic Mac sounding songs, much more so than anything on SYW. And, as many have already recognized, her vocals on the two Dan Perfect tunes are Career highs.
I *love* Christine, but even I think ITM had some pretty weak stuff towards the end of the album. It's subjective, of course, but Forgiveness and Givin It Back strike me as padding.

However, Friend, You Are, Anything is Possible and Liar are very strong and would have worked well on an FM record. She lifts the Dan Perfect tracks - Calumny and Northern Star - above even the sublime; they are just terrific.

On SYW, I could have happily cut Red Rover, Illume, Silver Girl, Come, What's the World Coming To and Everybody Finds Out. They irk me, and ten or so years have not changed that.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think maybe some of us are putting too much hope in Christine's return to the band to elevate song quality, should they record an album. I don't have In the Meantime, but what I heard was underwhelming. "Temporary One" was kind of blah, considering what she had brought to the table previously.

Stevie's In Your Dreams was pretty good, really her best CD since maybe The Wild Heart. But I don't know that she can contribute another "Gypsy" or "Sara." I don't know that she has another "Landslide" or "Sisters of the Moon" in her. I doubt it.

I wasn't worried about Lindsey until the EP came out. Now I wonder if his stuff is going to be subpar too, if there is an album.

I have very, very low expectations. The silver lining here is that if there is an album and it turns out to be great, I will be the happiest of all because of my low expectations.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
I think maybe some of us are putting too much hope in Christine's return to the band to elevate song quality, should they record an album. I don't have In the Meantime, but what I heard was underwhelming. "Temporary One" was kind of blah, considering what she had brought to the table previously.

Stevie's In Your Dreams was pretty good, really her best CD since maybe The Wild Heart. But I don't know that she can contribute another "Gypsy" or "Sara." I don't know that she has another "Landslide" or "Sisters of the Moon" in her. I doubt it.

I wasn't worried about Lindsey until the EP came out. Now I wonder if his stuff is going to be subpar too, if there is an album.

I have very, very low expectations. The silver lining here is that if there is an album and it turns out to be great, I will be the happiest of all because of my low expectations.
low expectations have been my mantra for a long long time, you get pleasant surprises that way.

i think swan songs are overrated. i think they should put out an album, because they are artists and that's what they do. artists put out albums, some solo, some collaborating with others, they go in and out of their main band. i don't understand why people think their next album needs to be great. it won't be great to everybody on this board anyway. if the album is not good who cares? they are doing something. and who says it has to be their last?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post

On SYW, I could have happily cut Red Rover, Illume, Silver Girl, Come, What's the World Coming To and Everybody Finds Out. They irk me, and ten or so years have not changed that.
Running Through the Garden.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Running Through the Garden.
i'd cut "What's the World Coming To?", "Smile at You", "Running Through the Garden" , "Silver Girl" and "Not Make Believe". perhaps "Say Goodbye". and "Illume". those are songs i skip (however much i tried to give them a chance) when i listen to the album.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Yep. Because I think it will be crap.

Last edited by mylittledemon; 01-20-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The title of this thread is "Do we really want another Fleetwood Mac album?" And there's even a poll. After a week of staring at it I keep wondering, who wouldn't want another Fleetwood Mac album? I mean, really, does anyone out there think there shouldn't be one?
Well, now that Christine McVie's rejoined the band, I'm a bit warmer to the idea than I was. But it's like I said in my opening post - The Stones are not likely to do any new albums now because the fans who come to the gigs want to hear the old classics, not a whole bunch of new songs they're not all that familiar with.

You could definitely say that FM are contemporaries of the Stones and therefore at this stage in their career are likely to encounter similar problems.

Extended Play was a GREAT idea. Not a new album, just four new songs available online. Even if they did ALL FOUR of those songs, the set at a gig is still likely to please fans cause all the rest of it will be filled with the old standards.

I think that could set a precedent for other bands that have been around for a while and reached have iconic status. It's a compromise. I would not be surprised if the Stones, Zeppelin, or even Genesis (if the rumours are true that Phil Collins is thinking about coming out of retirement) followed suit and did things this way.

When I started this thread, I said that another EP by the Mac to coincide with a big new tour would be something I'd sooner welcome that a new album. Of course, I didn't know Christine McVie was about to come back when I said this.

So now, who knows?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
Well, now that Christine McVie's rejoined the band, I'm a bit warmer to the idea than I was. But it's like I said in my opening post - The Stones are not likely to do any new albums now because the fans who come to the gigs want to hear the old classics, not a whole bunch of new songs they're not all that familiar with.

You could definitely say that FM are contemporaries of the Stones and therefore at this stage in their career are likely to encounter similar problems.

Extended Play was a GREAT idea. Not a new album, just four new songs available online. Even if they did ALL FOUR of those songs, the set at a gig is still likely to please fans cause all the rest of it will be filled with the old standards.

I think that could set a precedent for other bands that have been around for a while and reached have iconic status. It's a compromise. I would not be surprised if the Stones, Zeppelin, or even Genesis (if the rumours are true that Phil Collins is thinking about coming out of retirement) followed suit and did things this way.

When I started this thread, I said that another EP by the Mac to coincide with a big new tour would be something I'd sooner welcome that a new album. Of course, I didn't know Christine McVie was about to come back when I said this.
So now, who knows?
I think another EP vrs. another full record depends on how much material collectively the band has, and the quality of that material. Also if Warners (or another label) really is "chomping at the bit" to get another FM record, as Lindsey stated in one of his interviews last year.

Surely, the band doesn't have illusions about shifting a million of units of anything new. And sure, the precendent about fans generally wanting to hear the hits is true. However, the dissimilarity with say, The Stones, or many iconic classic rock bands, is that the FM "Rumours" line-up produced a measly 5 studio recordings. A new release always generates lots of publicity, and hence some new goodwill & interest towards the band, and more importantly, their cash cow back catalog! Also the undeniable fact that Christine's return signals 1/3 of FM's songwriting might back to the band, buyoed by Lindsey literally being on record many times over, since 2012 through 2013, that he and the boys really WANT to do another record. With Chris officially now on board, with new material being hinted at, Stevie would be insane not to be onboard! Christine is the ultimate buffer that Stevie could have wished for between her & Lindsey in the studio.

Last edited by Christopher; 01-20-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think Meantime was a great album by any means. I do think it had some great moments.

Furthermore, Christine has always been capable of really weak songs. I think most of her Tusk entries prove that. And I agree that Temporary One is tepid. I thought both Sweet Girl and Temporary One were dreck.

But if Christine contributes 6 new songs, I'm pretty confident that 3 will be stellar, at least. Three more stellar songs from her will be more than welcomed by me.

Michele
Old 01-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't care if Fleetwood Mac perfoms only old material - that should never preclude them from recording new material. A new album doesn't mean they have to go on the road and sing only the new songs. As always, they'd likely do about 19 old tracks and 3-5 new tracks, which I'm sure is perfectly acceptable to anyone who's actually buying tickets.

I'm very excited about the possibility of a new album, but I don't want a copy/paste album where they each take tracks rejected for a solo album and piece them together expecting a producer to make them sound unified. I want a Fleetwood Mac album - not a Lindsey & Stevie solo album under the Fleetwood Mac name, guest staring Christine.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I'm very excited about the possibility of a new album, but I don't want a copy/paste album where they each take tracks rejected for a solo album and piece them together expecting a producer to make them sound unified.
And in Temporary One's defense, the cutting and pasting started back then. Christine already had that song. I believe she must have written it for FM, because I don't think she was planning a solo album at that time, but on the Best Buy cd she said she had about 50 songs that she wasn't doing anything with and that's not something I like to hear. I don't want to hear about the songs in the cupboard, dusted off for an FM collaboration.

Michele
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I'm very excited about the possibility of a new album, but I don't want a copy/paste album where they each take tracks rejected for a solo album and piece them together expecting a producer to make them sound unified. I want a Fleetwood Mac album - not a Lindsey & Stevie solo album under the Fleetwood Mac name, guest staring Christine.
The only one who we have to worry about in that regard is Stevie. Lindsey wrote eight songs, three of which were on EP, with the intention of them being on a Fleetwood Mac album, and apparently so has Christine.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think Meantime was a great album by any means. I do think it had some great moments.

Furthermore, Christine has always been capable of really weak songs. I think most of her Tusk entries prove that. And I agree that Temporary One is tepid. I thought both Sweet Girl and Temporary One were dreck.

But if Christine contributes 6 new songs, I'm pretty confident that 3 will be stellar, at least. Three more stellar songs from her will be more than welcomed by me.

Michele
I absolutely agree about Christine's Tusk songs, and her and Stevie's contributions to The Dance. I'd throw My Little Demon in that pot too...
Old 01-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Furthermore, Christine has always been capable of really weak songs.
I think all of Fleetwood Mac's songwriters have given us a few clunkers over the years.

Quote:
I think most of her Tusk entries prove that. And I agree that Temporary One is tepid. I thought both Sweet Girl and Temporary One were dreck.
I disagree with this entirely. Christine's "Tusk" songs, as well as "Temporary One" and "Sweet Girl" are some of my favorites.

Now, if you had said "Mirage" instead of "Tusk," then I'd agree.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think maybe some of us are putting too much hope in Christine's return to the band to elevate song quality, should they record an album.
Not necessarily. I'm just happy that there will be some balance, that Fleetwood Mac won't be all about the Stevie-Lindsey thing.

THE Stephen Hopkins