User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't know too much about the eagles except hits on the radio, but i did see their recent documentary. what all were Don Felder's roles?
Henley and Frey's whipping boy.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I can't believe the Eagles can't tour with their founding member ever again. Needless to say, I am thankful we got to see the 5 Macsters onstage when we did. And they all looked good, even John.
Michele
I could see them getting Jackson Browne.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I could see them getting Jackson Browne.
I see them going out on the road again at least time and doing a tribute setlist.

Michele
Old 01-19-2016, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't know too much about the eagles except hits on the radio, but i did see their recent documentary. what all were Don Felder's roles?
Yeah, Don Felder was just the first "rock" guitar player they added(trying to get away from the early 70's country rock sound they had). He is a great player, and took them there. They finally fired him all over him owning shares of the Eagles "brand", which Joe or Tim never owned. He kept asking questions about not receiving his 1/3 of the profits(since only Don, Glenn, and Don Felder owned the BRAND - Bernie and Randy had left the band, and gave up their shares - Joe and Tim came on after it was too big, and weren't offered "ownership"). Don and Glenn(RIP) were tired of him getting that share(completely understandable, IMO, even though I'm a BIG DF fan -yet Don and Glenn were the stars, not Felder), and yet he kept nosing around with attorneys, and they found a way to fire him.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always love the Eagles music since they are the father or grandfather of country rock also their solo work too I enjoyed.I dont know if they will continue but the Don probably go back to solo work.The other probably keep busy too on projects.If Stevie tours with somebody else .I would like Don to tour with her.Not Rod or anybody else.I dont know if this latest event will set any fire under FM's a$$es to do anymore recording but we will see what will happen hopefully soon.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-19-2016, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't believe the Eagles can't tour with their founding member ever again. Needless to say, I am thankful we got to see the 5 Macsters onstage when we did. And they all looked good, even John.
Michele
Yes .I never got a chance to see the Eagles live like my sister did about probably 5 times over the years .And yes we are lucky to see the 5 Macsters on stage.We got just pray to God for John to stay healthy and the same for the rest of the band too.Plus we are so lucky that Christine came back too.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Plus we are so lucky that Christine came back too.
I'm so glad she's back. I'm sorry, I had feelings for Bowie, but really none for Glenn Frey, so when I heard the news about him, all I thought of was Fleetwood Mac and how grateful I was that we got another tour with Christine (and how I wish we had an album). I enjoyed the quartet we had from SYW on. I loved those four. But this is where the band needs to be right now.

Five and out.

Michele
Old 01-19-2016, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm so glad she's back. I'm sorry, I had feelings for Bowie, but really none for Glenn Frey

Michele
It's so funny how we all differ. Even though FM has always been the soundtrack to my life, Glenn's death REALLY threw me for a turn today.

To be honest, I always thought he was kind of a jerk, but he was the mastermind of The Eagles. He WAS the Lindsey Buckingham of The Eagles.

I've spent the past hour listening to the Hell Freezes Over DVD. Not watching it, just staring in an opposite corner, at the wall.

Bowie's death didn't affect me much, nor any of the others, personally. I mean, I felt for them, and their family and fans, but it didn't hit home.

Glenn's passing today, made me realize what's coming. For all of them. And eventually, for all of us. I felt like a part of my childhood died today.

Sorry to sound so sad.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 01-19-2016 at 03:44 AM..
Old 01-19-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Yes .I never got a chance to see the Eagles live like my sister did about probably 5 times over the years .And yes we are lucky to see the 5 Macsters on stage.We got just pray to God for John to stay healthy and the same for the rest of the band too.Plus we are so lucky that Christine came back too.
I still can't believe Christine came back. I feel that she gave this band a well needed breath of fresh air. They were so stale IMO and that EP was so uninspired. Hopefully Christine's influence will translate to the 3 writers putting together another quality album.

we will see... Time is of the essence.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Bowie's death didn't affect me much, nor any of the others, personally. I mean, I felt for them, and their family and fans, but it didn't hit home.
Whereas I went off and started listening to Bowie songs and watching his youtube videos. I wasn't a fan of his per se, but I couldn't escape him growing up.

Michele
Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm so glad she's back. I'm sorry, I had feelings for Bowie, but really none for Glenn Frey, so when I heard the news about him, all I thought of was Fleetwood Mac and how grateful I was that we got another tour with Christine (and how I wish we had an album). I enjoyed the quartet we had from SYW on. I loved those four. But this is where the band needs to be right now.

Five and out.

Michele
Quote:
It's so funny how we all differ. Even though FM has always been the soundtrack to my life, Glenn's death REALLY threw me for a turn today.

To be honest, I always thought he was kind of a jerk, but he was the mastermind of The Eagles. He WAS the Lindsey Buckingham of The Eagles.

I've spent the past hour listening to the Hell Freezes Over DVD. Not watching it, just staring in an opposite corner, at the wall.

Glenn's passing today, made me realize what's coming. For all of them. And eventually, for all of us. I felt like a part of my childhood died today.

Sorry to sound so sad.
i was reading this, and actually all kinds of social media discussing similar since Bowie's death. i've been on Bowie-binge since.... well, since the 8th when Blackstar first came out, tbh. when i saw his name in the news the morning of 11th, at first i thought it was something about the album and i must be reading it wrong, it just can't be.

like you Homer, i have almost exact same feelings (parts i bolded) about Bowie passing as you have about Frey. i grew up with him and his music, his changes and various phases, i waited for his movies, records, and videos to come out. i loved some and just couldn't get into his other phases (Tin Machine? just no). i thought at the time he kinda sold out and went for commercial with Let's Dance which was everywhere in the early 80s, however great those songs are. i saw him in concert multiple times and tours, traveled to different countries for it. i remember how cool it sounded when he and Iman got together, and then had a daughter later in life. he kinda fell off my radar mid90s-2000s and i've enjoyed catching up on what he's been up to during those years.

Bowie being there is woven into the fabric of my life and especially my youth. kinda like FM and Eagles are for many on this board.

Bowie was incredibly prolific when you count his output - 27 studio albums all together. some people list parts of his output they don't like, but just look at his "best of" albums or certain tour setlists to see how many incredible and omnipresent hits he had over the decades. he was not afraid to keep evolving and keep putting out new stuff, and some it one can like, other phases maybe not, depending on your tastes. he came back to it in the last few years, starting with 2013 studio album The Next Day (which went to #2 on Billboard 200, and used impressively well designed social media advertising, i thought), after almost a decade of being mostly out of public eye with health problems after his on-stage heart attack which cut short his 2003/04 world tour after 100+ dates. his exit with the play Lazarus and his last album, still relevant, instead of being just a legendary nostalgia act he could have been instead, has been incredible and in line with all he's done throughout his life.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Five and out.

Michele
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I still can't believe Christine came back. I feel that she gave this band a well needed breath of fresh air. They were so stale IMO and that EP was so uninspired. Hopefully Christine's influence will translate to the 3 writers putting together another quality album.

we will see... Time is of the essence.
I agree with both of you.The band was missing something without Christine's share in the band.

I do love the Eagles music and its members solo work but its none of my business what they did behind the scenes with others.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Sorry to sound so sad.

Agreed. rockers die in their late 60s early 70s every couple weeks and it really doesn't bother me (other then the obvious way one would be bothered at ANYONE dying at anytime) or make me fear for my favorite band, but it's much more tough psychologically to lose an eagle, since it is as Michele said the "sister" band. Plus don Henley and joe Walsh both have HUGE Stevie connections, it's hard not to be alarmed.

As I type that I realize how irrational it is tho, but none of us are rational tho!

He Will Burn You Down
Old 01-19-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Agreed. rockers die in their late 60s early 70s every couple weeks and it really doesn't bother me (other then the obvious way one would be bothered at ANYONE dying at anytime) or make me fear for my favorite band, but it's much more tough psychologically to lose an eagle, since it is as Michele said the "sister" band. Plus don Henley and joe Walsh both have HUGE Stevie connections, it's hard not to be alarmed.

As I type that I realize how irrational it is tho, but none of us are rational tho!
We are all thinking it. Not irrational at all.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, Don Felder was just the first "rock" guitar player they added(trying to get away from the early 70's country rock sound they had). He is a great player, and took them there. They finally fired him all over him owning shares of the Eagles "brand", which Joe or Tim never owned. He kept asking questions about not receiving his 1/3 of the profits(since only Don, Glenn, and Don Felder owned the BRAND - Bernie and Randy had left the band, and gave up their shares - Joe and Tim came on after it was too big, and weren't offered "ownership"). Don and Glenn(RIP) were tired of him getting that share(completely understandable, IMO, even though I'm a BIG DF fan -yet Don and Glenn were the stars, not Felder), and yet he kept nosing around with attorneys, and they found a way to fire him.
See, that's total bs on their part.

They made a business deal. He was legally fair and square an owner of a share of the band. Tough crap they didn't like it. Tough crap they made up some arbitrary rule after the fact that "oh we want everyone to play AND sing to be a real member of the band". If FM did that John and Mick would be out. WTF. Plus Felder wrote the music and the signature riff to Life in the Fast Lane. It's not like he didn't contribute. They were just greedy and thought they could bully him out of his share so they could have it, and run the show by themselves. He was legally entitled to have his share, and he had the nerve to stand by that. So they were buttholes about it and tried to tie him up in legal battles and fees so any profits he'd get he'd end up giving to the lawyers. Skeevy douchey behavior, but, honestly, that's the Eagles.

As for someone's comparison that Glenn was the Lindsey of the Eagles, maybe musically so but Lindsey would not be that douchey over money. Just think, by their logic he could have said, "we can't have anyone in FM who doesn't play an instrument" and kicked Stevie out.

Makes me sooo glad that FM doesn't work that way. Not that FM doesn't have power struggles, but power in FM tends to be founded on contribution to the band's success/sales. Though Stevie and Lindsey were indeed brought in on salaries (like $200/week each or something) at first, once the first album was a success they were equal members not hired hands. BonJovi runs his band as hired hands, so does Tom Petty with the Heartbreakers, saying not everyone can or should have an equal say. FM doesn't work that way, and a lot of the credit for that goes to Mick, and John, for not being twits.

End of soap box.

Edited to add: None of this is directed at Homer of course or meant to diminish your sense of loss for someone who's music meant so much to you. Band politics are just ugly and lots of money often brings out other sides of folks.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-19-2016 at 09:17 PM..