The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Registered

Cute Guitar Boy is on stage right now, and I couldn't go because I had no sitter. Sigh.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Lord, I'd have to think for hours, to get half of them.
That was a pretty impressive list.
Which artist was the best or easiest to work with?
And which was the worst?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
That was a pretty impressive list.
Which artist was the best or easiest to work with?
And which was the worst?
In general, MOST country artists are very easy to deal with, but that's because country fans won't tolerate prima donnas. Really. Ah, I forgot one! Mark Wills. And this was at the height of his career....followed ME around all afternoon, telling me stories. Couldn't have been any nicer.

Oh, other one....Bright Eyes - Conor Oberst hugged me several times during the day, and would put his arm around my neck, every time he'd request a monitor change(this is all during soundcheck). The other guy I work with, is a big redneck, and he kept saying, "he wants you, dude!".
Horror stories, both personal and public?

Personal - Steve Earle, of whom I WAS a huge fan. I actually did lighting for this show. I told his manager that I would love to get a guitar signed by him....his manager took me on his bus, post-show, and introduced me. Steve was sitting there with his band. I handed him my $1200 Takamine acoustic(yes, not super expensive, but all I could afford). He looked at it, and said, "I fukcing hate these japanese pieces of siht!", then signed it. Uh, thanks Steve. What a rude, fukcing douchebag.

Public - Vince Neil, for whom I was providing PA, and mixing(due to his engineer being fired, the previous day). The band was actually cool during the day. Well, show time comes...8PM.....no show....8:30...no show....9PM....no show.....crowd is starting to get ****ty....long story short....it's about 11PM, when he finally takes the stage....three HOURS late, on a weeknight! Crowd is chanting in unison, "BULL****, BULL****, BULL****!!!" You could cut the tension in the air, with a knife. He tells the crowd that he's been sick to his stomach, and that's why they're so late(I didn't believe it, and no one else did, either). He actually seemed to calm them down a little bit....they played 3 or 4 songs, then he said, "fukc you hillbillies, I'm out of here", and left the stage. They band was in terror, holding their hands out in front of them, like "hey, it's not US, we're standing here, wanting to play", then they left the stage, too. The venue was getting ready to be ripped apart(mind you, these are heavy metal fans, not FM fans). Bottles were being thrown. I got on a talkback mic, and was speaking to the crowd, trying to calm them, and telling them that the PA didn't belong to Vince!( nothing like a little self-preservation), because they were getting ready to topple it all. The state police were brought in, with dogs, to end this fiasco. It was scary, and at one point, the crowd was outside, trying to overturn his bus!
This event actually had a small writeup, in Rolling Stone. That's my worst story, as you can well imagine.

Those are my stories, and I'm sticking to them...
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Curious, do you work for a venue, local crew or specific artists? I did a lot of concert work in college and always had fun working with everyone involved with making the show go on. Made me want to do it on a more professional level but was never sure how to break into that.

Impressive list of artists too! Laughed a little at the exclamation point after Hanson (they're a fave of mine).
Old 09-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
Curious, do you work for a venue, local crew or specific artists? I did a lot of concert work in college and always had fun working with everyone involved with making the show go on. Made me want to do it on a more professional level but was never sure how to break into that.

Impressive list of artists too! Laughed a little at the exclamation point after Hanson (they're a fave of mine).
I have two trucks full of PA sitting in my driveway, but I mainly work with one venue(mostly out of sheer laziness on my part...I've reached a level of comfort in my life, and I'd rather work 3 days a week, than 7!). I got my B.A., but always knew, that music was all I ever wanted to be involved in. I played in a small band, while in college, and gradually bought enough gear, that when I graduated, I started doing small PA gigs, and reinvested, and reinvested.....and honestly, the PA business sucks around here, anymore. The late 90's were great though, and I bought up a few rental properties, when the money was rolling in. I'm rambling now...
Hanson - haha. The only show that I recall a line, FROM THE NIGHT BEFORE, camping on the sidewalk, since it was general admission(this is only like 2 years ago, if that long). And the crazy little **** I save. I picked up a big red heart, with "I "heart" Hanson, on it. I have a pile of posters that I've saved, over the years, and I threw that big red heart onto the pile. I thought it was funny.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I have two trucks full of PA sitting in my driveway, but I mainly work with one venue(mostly out of sheer laziness on my part...I've reached a level of comfort in my life, and I'd rather work 3 days a week, than 7!). I got my B.A., but always knew, that music was all I ever wanted to be involved in. I played in a small band, while in college, and gradually bought enough gear, that when I graduated, I started doing small PA gigs, and reinvested, and reinvested.....and honestly, the PA business sucks around here, anymore. The late 90's were great though, and I bought up a few rental properties, when the money was rolling in. I'm rambling now...
Hanson - haha. The only show that I recall a line, FROM THE NIGHT BEFORE, camping on the sidewalk, since it was general admission(this is only like 2 years ago, if that long). And the crazy little **** I save. I picked up a big red heart, with "I "heart" Hanson, on it. I have a pile of posters that I've saved, over the years, and I threw that big red heart onto the pile. I thought it was funny.
Ahhh. I worked for my college's programming committee so did a lot of loading in and setting up for concerts, some of which were very large scale, so it gave me a good taste of the life but not enough experience, I felt, to move on with it. I'd still love to get more involved somehow though. I think my dream job is to be a tour manager.

Ha, yeah, Hanson fans are campers. Some line up for MORE than one day (their hometown show this year, the line started three days before). One of my favorite pictures one of their openers took was from the day before a show and literally six tents pitched outside the venue and the caption "Hanson fans are in tents (get it?!)". There's definitely more of a fan culture around that band than people realize.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Has anyone else seen Why Did I Get Married? Well I watched them both yesterday. And it just dawned on me that I am the "20" in the "80/20" rule. So, of course I don't want to be that, or cause hurt for anyone. I mean, I don't know what I was thinking talking to someone who is with someone else, and have been for 4 years Point is, I'm alone again, per usual. And as my tradition goes, anytime I experience heart break, I listen to Mariah all day because she is the only one that can soothe me in times like these.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"My" fraternity just got their 10th pledge of the day during the FIRST DAY of bid week. If the rest of our bids translate into members, we'll have had the second biggest pledge class on campus (annnnnnd four of the boys we snagged today were given bids from other frats as well. Kobe!) I've spent the past week catching nonstop buses into the city, wooing freshman, and laughing at too many math and science jokes that were not remotely funny. Seeing it pay off makes it all worthwhile.
You're so like me
Old 09-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
"My" fraternity just got their 10th pledge of the day during the FIRST DAY of bid week. If the rest of our bids translate into members, we'll have had the second biggest pledge class on campus (annnnnnd four of the boys we snagged today were given bids from other frats as well. Kobe!) I've spent the past week catching nonstop buses into the city, wooing freshman, and laughing at too many math and science jokes that were not remotely funny. Seeing it pay off makes it all worthwhile.
I don't quite understand what all this means. What do you guys stand to gain by having all these pledges?

Per the highlighted part, perhaps you might consider a career in politics?
Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I don't quite understand what all this means. What do you guys stand to gain by having all these pledges?

Per the highlighted part, perhaps you might consider a career in politics?
Well it keeps the house alive longer, makes a better dynamic, and shows that we're growing and getting more popular as the years go on. The current seniors had a pledge class of four. FOUR. They're all amazing guys and, actually, they're my favorites in the house, but they're small and it meant that the things the frat could do were small. The next year, they really buckled down (and benefited from the fact that those four were very charismatic charmers) and pulled it up to, I believe, nine? Then it was seventeen. This year, we've given out 27 bids and we're already at eleven (just got one more this morning!) acceptances. The sort of guys we've drawn in this year are different, too. We have our usual geeky types (one of the brothers used to hold the North American record for solving a rubics cube in the shortest amount of time), but we also have athletes, actors, and partiers. It just makes for a more vibrant social dynamic and a more fun place for the brothers to live (and me to hang out!)

Oh and the math/science jokes are so prevalent and so terrible because the frat is at MIT haha. You really just can't stop them. Thanks for the politician comment, but I would rather be a politician's wife

^ At one of our formals, with my roommate on the far side and my best friend at the house beside me. I love them.
You're so like me
Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So Marissa why are you trying to get Pledges for a frat house you don't live in? I know you said you hang out there but surely there must be several frat houses where you would be welcome.

Are you back in Boston now?

Didn't you mention you were gonna be in Ireland this past Summer? Did you ever go and if so, how did it go?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
So Marissa why are you trying to get Pledges for a frat house you don't live in? I know you said you hang out there but surely there must be several frat houses where you would be welcome.

Are you back in Boston now?

Didn't you mention you were gonna be in Ireland this past Summer? Did you ever go and if so, how did it go?
Pretty simply, they're my best friends here They were the first social group that I found in Boston that I really clicked with. My roommate used to date the frat's President (who also happens to be from a hometown five minutes away from mine, so I got to see him over the summer!), my other good Wellesley friend's older brother and father went through this frat, and one of the seniors was out in San Francisco with me over the summer (...another boy at the house decided to hop a plane and come visit me in San Francisco AFTER A JOKE INVITATION, but that's a story for another time.) I just have so many connections to them at this point that I couldn't imagine not being invested in making the house the best it can be. I was also a rush hostess for them, so I was at every event, I was helping to get freshman interested, and I had a say in who got offered a bid and who didn't. I'm basically as much a member of this frat as you can be without being an MIT male

BY THE WAY, WE'RE NOW AT THIRTEEN.

I am back in Boston! I got here two Saturdays ago And Ireland is coming up in January, thank you for asking

Anything to share on your end?
You're so like me
Old 09-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Giada De Laurentiis - Oh, my sweet heart.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
Anything to share on your end?
I had date #4 with my new guy tonight. We only see each other on Sundae nights. He looks like a thug but acts like a gentleman.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Description of guys I tend to date: 35+, foreign, wealthy, absolutely beautiful, rebellious, attention-hungry, sentimental, intruiging, suave, intelligent..... and completely emotionally fukced up. Oh and assholes, too.

Description of guys I should date: under 25, intelligent, kind, motivated, opinionated, passionate.... I don't even know. Just the opposite of who I date now, I guess.

So of course I find a guy that fits the "should date" qualifications.... less than a week before I leave for school. Junior mechanical engineering major at Stanford who is attending on a full ride. Plays rugby for the school. 6'6" (YES! I need tall), half Native American, a total nature guy and yet also loves to party...

Keep in mind that it is REALLY REALLY hard for me to find someone I'm attracted to under 35. Essentially, it doesn't happen, regardless of whether or not they fit the "qualifications"... so I'm going to dinner with this guy tomorrow night and I really like him and I've seen him every day since we met and WHY DOES LIFE ALWAYS DO THIS TO ME?!

/rant