Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nancy,
I like your choices except I'd replace Witchy Woman and Life In the Fastlane with Hotel California and New York Minute.

I really thought Stvie spiced Hotel California one up in 2005. When I saw the Eagles do this in 2008, I felt disappointed. The performance wasn't as epic as it was when it was Don and Stevie.

The Eagles played NYM on the Hell Freezes Over Tour or at least at the filmed reunion show and this was another highlight of the 2005 Tour. The song is just a masterpiece and Stevie and Don in the shadows singing this vis 2005 would be a mind-blowing deja vu!

Your Mac songs are great as well. I'd add Gold Dust Woman because Don sounded great on that and he and Stevie were really getting into it. I think they should keep Oh Well and have Lindsey and Joe jam together.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I have to say I disagree about the Mac being the manifest opener. I saw The Eagles a couple of times on the Long Road Out of Eden Tour and I definitely think the Unleashed Tour was a better show. Lindsey is drenched with sweat at every show as well as Mick.

Everyone castigates Stevie but remember as Lisa said, Don stands there and sings. Stevie dances and sings. Only Glenn and Joe really know how to rock in The Eagles and at most Eagles concerts, the crowd sits for the whole time.

The crowd would love to get back on their feet when the Mac comes on and let loose. I do believe that they should switch spots so there is no definitive opener and closer.
Lindsey's sweating doesn't dictate who opens. The band's CLOUT does. And the Eagles have the most clout, hands down. Isn't Greatest Hits 71-75 still the #1 selling album, OF ALL TIME?

At least the Eagles do several songs from their most recent album(and btw, I much prefer LROOE to SYW). FM has relegated itself to a golden moldies machine.

"No one can suck the fun out of a room, faster than Don Henley" - Glenn Frey
Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Lindsey's sweating doesn't dictate who opens. The band's CLOUT does. And the Eagles have the most clout, hands down. Isn't Greatest Hits 71-75 still the #1 selling album, OF ALL TIME?

At least the Eagles do several songs from their most recent album(and btw, I much prefer LROOE to SYW). FM has relegated itself to a golden moldies machine.

"No one can suck the fun out of a room, faster than Don Henley" - Glenn Frey
Neither do album sales. Fleetwood Mac seems like they far much enjoy performing than the Eagles do. And care more for their fans. Greatest Hits is the # selling album of all time...in the US.

Weren't the Eagles a golden oldies machine from Hell Freezes Over to 2006?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Neither do album sales. Fleetwood Mac seems like they far much enjoy performing than the Eagles do. And care more for their fans. Greatest Hits is the # selling album of all time...in the US.

Weren't the Eagles a golden oldies machine from Hell Freezes Over to 2006?
They at least had 4 new songs from HFO. I'm not saying they're BOTH not guilty of milking the moldies, but of late, they've NOT been guilty of it. FM, has.

If FM closes the shows, or the bands even alternate opening slots, I WILL send you $20.

Don't let fandom get in the way of facts, or common sense.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They at least had 4 new songs from HFO. I'm not saying they're BOTH not guilty of milking the moldies, but of late, they've NOT been guilty of it. FM, has.

If FM closes the shows, or the bands even alternate opening slots, I WILL send you $20.

Betcha they'd ham it up. Fleetwood Mac set, Eagles set, joint set. Now, if done right, the joint set (Fleetwood Mac would play their respective instruments with Don singing and Tim switching to guitar). This could get interesting, especially if Joe Walsh broke out "Rattlesnake Shake." But that **** don't happen with those guys anymore. No, we WOULD get Leather and Lace. Yipee!

There's potential, if they'd throw caution to the wind. I think Israel has a better shot of recognition in the Middle East.

There isn't really enough horse tranq to make the bland show we'd most likely get even half-way interesting.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Are the Rumours true?
Posted on December 22, 2009 by sidetwo

The Eagles’ Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) and Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours have sold in the neighbourhood of 48 million copies combined since their release in 1975 and 1977 respectively. That’s an astonishing number by anybody’s standards. Add 1976′ Hotel California to the mix, and the number climbs to 64 million. Toss in 1982’s Eagles Greatest Hits Volume II, and the number climbs to 79 million. And just for fun, let’s add 1988’s Fleetwood Mac’s Greatest Hits and The Eagles’ 1994 release Hell Freezes Over and you’re at 95 million for six albums. I could add more but you get the point.

Now that we’ve got the math out of the way, here’s the big (ahem) “rumour”: both bands may tour together next summer. Not sure if this would be just a “who opens for who” kind of thing or more of the Elton John/Billy Joel Face To Face tour which featured each artist sharing the stage and performing each other’s songs. Reps from both the Mac and Eagles camps have apparently been meeting with promoters to see if there’s interest. The tour would likely hit both stadiums and arenas in various markets. Too early to tell if if they’ll come north of the border but a tour of this scale would likely hit Toronto and Vancouver at a minimum but that’s just my guess.

If this tour does come to fruition, it’s likely only going to be affordable to those with a lot of disposable income. Based on the ticket pricing history for The Eagles at least I wouldn’t be surprised if the top-tier tix will be at the $300 level. While I have always considered myself a fan of The Eagles’ music, I don’t have much of a desire to see them live. Not much there in terms of onstage personality, if you know what I mean. Fleetwood Mac on the other hand put on an amazing show when I saw them earlier this year and frankly I think the musicianship of Lindsey Buckingham is worth the price of admission alone.

http://sidetwo.wordpress.com/2009/12...-rumours-true/
Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I still think I hve common sense.

As I posted, I'm a big fan of the Eagles and post and chat on eaglesfans.com.

Fleetwood Mac had new songs from The Dance and put out a new album before the Eagles. Fleetwood Mac toured for their new album in 03-04. 2009 was their only hits tour. It is apparent that the Eagles have been guilty of cranking out the hits for awhile.

The Eagles have defnitely sold more albums. But I believe the crowd will be more impressed with Fleetwood Mac. I think this show will be a double-bill so there really is no opening act.

Do you think Don opened on the 2005 Tour with Stevie?

P.S. Can we shake hands on your offer?

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 12-23-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Neither do album sales. Fleetwood Mac seems like they far much enjoy performing than the Eagles do. And care more for their fans.
I'm not so sure either band cares much about their fans.... neither seems to act like it.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've gotten that feeling from Mick and Stevie. Mick and Stevie were very gracious at their book signings and after shows when I waited outside. I can't speak for Lindsey but I'm sure others have experiences, right DavidMN?

And John McVie...I don't know.

I heard Joe is very kind and considerable towards his fans.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
P.S. Can we shake hands on your offer?
If the Eagles open for FM, I WILL send you $20. If they don't, does that mean you'll send me $20?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I'm not so sure either band cares much about their fans.... neither seems to act like it.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I heard Joe is very kind and considerable towards his fans.
I can't remember if it's from Don Felder's book, or Take It To The Limit(another Eagles book - I have both), but the author says that Joe is so down to earth, that he usually stayed after the show, and helped pack up guitars and stuff. That he liked just hanging out with the roadies. He liked just being with regular guys.

I get the feeling that John is probably much the same way.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Eagles have defnitely sold more albums.
Yep, although if we count only studio albums from the two groups, "Rumours" is the clear leader.

In fact, among studio albums, "Rumours" is second only to "Thriller," is it not?

How about as regards tours over the decades? Fleetwood Mac was the top-selling touring act for arenas in 1979-1980. But that was so long ago. I guess that the Eagles make more money on the road than Fleetwood Mac does in recent years.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yep, although if we count only studio albums from the two groups, "Rumours" is the clear leader.
In regards to US sales, "Rumours" has been certified at 19M, where "Hotel California" currently sits at 16M. Not exactly a huge difference. I also have the sneaking suspicion (a hunch for now, I don't have facts nearby to back it up) that "California" has outsold "Rumours" 1980-present, and that its definitely outsold "Rumours" compact disc/digitally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In fact, among studio albums, "Rumours" is second only to "Thriller," is it not?
In terms of single disc recordings of original music...

Michael Jackson/Thriller - 29M
Led Zeppelin IV - 23M
AC/DC/Back In Black - 22M
Shania Twain/Come On Over - 20M
Fleetwood Mac/Rumours - 19M
Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If the Eagles open for FM, I WILL send you $20. If they don't, does that mean you'll send me $20?
Hm, let me think about it.