Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No I am not assuming that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
No - first, you assume all states will say this. I mean I do not see New York, Mass., Calif., etc. saying no to abortions and when I say saying no I mean in the Legislatures and their highest courts. But, yes, some states will outlaw it - but not because a Federal Court told them to do. That is why Roe should not be overturned.

Interestingly, this is why judicial activism is great when it flows your way, but it sucks on the contray side.
I dont think CA or NY or MA will say "no" either~ I think those will be the states that will eventually have to eat crow when the fed standard of NO protection is forced on them, the same way NO MEDICAL MJ ALLOWED will be forced on them. There is no State's rights any more, its all about the Fed.
just an fyi: my computer is acting up, the screen is jumping all around, I cant even see what I am typing without constantly stopping and using the scroll arrows...its a pain....also, my sleeping meds are actually working, so I am going to sign off for now, its been stimulating as always...
Old 02-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
. . . I think those will be the states that will eventually have to eat crow when the fed standard of NO protection is forced on them, the same way NO MEDICAL MJ ALLOWED will be forced on them. There is no State's rights any more, its all about the Fed.
But that can only happen if the Congress passes a law that outlaws abortion after Roe is overturned. I just do not see that happening

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But that can only happen if the Congress passes a law that outlaws abortion after Roe is overturned. I just do not see that happening
ok you know that ever since Bush took office, the pro-life groups have pushed for the legislature to ban abortion in various forms, such as partial birth, no crossing state lines to get abortion etc. I can MOST DEFINITELY SEE congress doing this. OH MOST DEFINITELY. With control in both houses, and with the Court on their side, its a slam dunk. no brainer. you betcha.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ok you know that ever since Bush took office, the pro-life groups have pushed for the legislature to ban abortion in various forms, such as partial birth, no crossing state lines to get abortion etc. I can MOST DEFINITELY SEE congress doing this. OH MOST DEFINITELY. With control in both houses, and with the Court on their side, its a slam dunk. no brainer. you betcha.
Whether they do or not is a question only time will answer.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default then I'd venture to say

Quote:
Whether they do or not is a question only time will answer.
we wont have long to wait....on that dismal note, I am heading off into the sunset pahdner, adios!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hope, for once, that you are right!
Old 02-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I do not think Roe will be overturned. It's the R trump card (along with gay marriage). The fundies are their bread and butter.

Since 1980, we've had all R presidents with the exception of Clinton. W has had both houses of Congress, the SC, and a majority of governorships. I really don't think Roe will be overturned. Hell, I doubt R politicians even want it to. It's their rhetoric.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default from your mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I do not think Roe will be overturned. It's the R trump card (along with gay marriage). The fundies are their bread and butter.

Since 1980, we've had all R presidents with the exception of Clinton. W has had both houses of Congress, the SC, and a majority of governorships. I really don't think Roe will be overturned. Hell, I doubt R politicians even want it to. It's their rhetoric.
I hope you guys (that think Roe is safe) are right. I just have very grave concerns. Also, its been a lousy day. My favorite shoes broke, I ruined my clothes at work, I have a splitting headache, and Im tired too. I think I should go sleep for a million years if I can possibly accomplish it...

Last edited by irishgrl; 02-15-2005 at 07:38 PM..
Old 02-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hope you guys (that think Roe is safe) are right. I just have very grave concerns. Also, its been a lousy day. My favorite shoes broke, I ruined my clothes at work, I have a splitting headache, and Im tired too. I think I should go sleep for a million years if I can possibly accomplish it...
on the forehead and well wishes for a better tommorow (see- I aint so bad )

Old 02-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
on the forehead and well wishes for a better tommorow (see- I aint so bad )
No, you are a sweetheart! you know I luv ya! thanx for the kind wishes, I actually went to bed around 7:30ish and slept (off and on) til 4! kinda a record for me! now, Im not counting the hour or so I was awake at 1am to 2am, because I didnt get up...but I am basically an insomniac so if I get more than 4 hours sleep its because Im sick or something...or my lack of sleep finally catches up with me and I am just plain exhausted. I try all kinds of herbal sleep aids, but they dont work so I add a sleeping pill (OTC) and an allergy pill (OTC) and a vicodin (PRESCRIPTION!!) and I MAY get 4 hrs sleep if Im lucky...
anyway, thanks for the sweet smileys and kind words!