User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
At least, could you please attempt to be funny and clever with some literacy and respect for written English language? Perhaps if you were 7 years old I (not "i") could overlook your hack presentations, but you appear to have severely dumbed-down written communication skills. What is that all about? Lazy or ignorant? I hope someone did you a big favor and gave you a grammar book for the holiday. Please read it and gain the intellect to communicate with some clarity and dignity. Please!
I hope that made you feel superior. Heaven forbid someone might not be as smart and eloquent as you!

Last edited by trackaghost; 12-29-2008 at 10:44 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I use things like LOL only because they expresses an emotion.
You have just failed fifth grade. Can we get back on topic now?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At least, could you please attempt to be funny and clever with some literacy and respect for written English language? Perhaps if you were 7 years old I (not "i") could overlook your hack presentations, but you appear to have severely dumbed-down written communication skills. What is that all about? Lazy or ignorant? I hope someone did you a big favor and gave you a grammar book for the holiday. Please read it and gain the intellect to communicate with some clarity and dignity. Please!
This is a TOTALLY out of line and mean comment. It could just as easily have been sent via a pm instead of humiliating this person as you chose to do. You owe this person and apology for your uncalled for and vicious attack! It's quite obvious to me that you must have a gigantic ego that needs to be fed by putting other people down to build yourself up.

Last edited by DavidMn; 12-30-2008 at 04:09 AM..
Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Registered

Quote:
I'm sorry if that came across as harsh. I actually do text, with very few abbreviated words. I use things like LOL only because they expresses an emotion.
See? You be using imperfect grammar also.

This is the second time (by my count) that you've unfairly singled out this particular poster. Why? They aren't the only one exhibiting less than scholastically perfect spelling/punctuation/grammar/etc., but you seem to take such personal offense with them- enough to make some rather haughty efforts to embarrass and belittle them.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think there is a time and a place for good spelling & grammar. This forum isn't it. I tend to write very quickly sometimes when I am posting. I don't bother with all the apostrophes that I should, I don't use capitalisation, and I don't always use commas and full stops where I should. I realise that this can make it hard for other people to read, but as can abbreviations, smileys, and annoying off topic posts. LOL LOL LOL etc (like this).

So were we talking about the poor sales of FM tickets? How about a new topic in the Chit Chat forum - "The Declining Standards of Spelling, Grammar and Politeness in Modern Society" or some such.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
How about a new topic in the Chit Chat forum - "The Declining Standards of Spelling, Grammar and Politeness in Modern Society" or some such.
That gives me an idea . . . Thanks, Chris!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
The Eagles are notorious for sticking to album arrangements and basically being "boring" in concert but I thought they put on one hell of a show.
I think it makes more sense for the Eagles to incorporate a greater number of new songs into their set. Eagles album tracks are much more straightforward than Fleetwood Mac tracks. The former almost always have simpler orchestration, & therefore usually translate into live performance more accurately. It's always been hard for Fleetwood Mac to re-create onstage its studio sonics & arrangements. I think that difficulty has played a part in Fleetwood's decision to keep tours filled mostly with older staples (whose live arrangements have already been "worked out").

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While PenguinHead's comments may have been a little harsh, I agree. I’m not suggesting perfect grammar or spelling should be required here (EVERYBODY fails that test at least once), but if it’s hard to understand the point a poster is trying to make due to things like no punctuation or random capitalization of words, then there is an issue.

I mean, at the very core, what do we do on boards like this? Communicate. If the point isn't being made in a way that is easily understood, what tends to not happen? Communication.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I mean, at the very core, what do we do on boards like this? Communicate. If the point isn't being made in a way that is easily understood, what tends to not happen? Communication.
That's why I always try to notate properly. I want readers to attend to my views, not to my typography. Mishmash typography stands out in the memory.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's why I always try to notate properly. I want readers to attend to my views, not to my typography. Mishmash typography stands out in the memory.
Oh, I don't know, Dave... you do tend to overuse the ampersand
Old 12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Oh, I don't know, Dave... you do tend to overuse the ampersand
A few people have told me that it bothers them -- it affects their ease of reading.

I borrow the ampersand idea from the Gowers 1965 revision of Fowler's MODERN ENGLISH USAGE. I always found its use in that work to have a visually compelling quality. If it's bad news here, I will stop using it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A few people have told me that it bothers them -- it affects their ease of reading.

I borrow the ampersand idea from the Gowers 1965 revision of Fowler's MODERN ENGLISH USAGE. I always found its use in that work to have a visually compelling quality. If it's bad news here, I will stop using it.
Dearest David,

The Internet is obviously no place for your ampersand ideas. After all, it is now the future, and not 1965 when people did weird stuff like read books and speak English.

Duh.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
While PenguinHead's comments may have been a little harsh, I agree. I’m not suggesting perfect grammar or spelling should be required here (EVERYBODY fails that test at least once), but if it’s hard to understand the point a poster is trying to make due to things like no punctuation or random capitalization of words, then there is an issue.

You know what Steve, you're 100% right. I have been corrected on some typo's I've made in the past, but those were in PM where the communication was done in such a way that the person made their point without embarrassing the other person. That's the biggest problem I had.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Penguin's comments were a little harsh, in my opinion. But, to be honest, I completely skip over StandbackStevie's posts because I can't understand them at all. An entire paragraph without punctuation is very difficult to read. I've thought about mentioning it on several occasions, but decided not to.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Come on, it's not so much what he said it's the condescending way he chose to do it. Personally I thought PH could have "communicated" his point without making the person in question feel like a complete idiot and trying to humiliate them with his oh-so-superior post. It could have either been done in a more friendly manner or, like DavidMn said, in a PM. It's also worth pointing out that some people don't have the same skills as the more educated or smarter posters here but that doesn't mean they should be humiliated for it.

Last edited by trackaghost; 12-30-2008 at 07:24 PM..