User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsrain View Post
I've never heard the non album version. someone mentioned it's on a TISL disc with 16 tracks but I've been unable to locate that. Was it released?
It was not released. A pre-release pressing of TISL was leaked before the album tracklisting was finalized. The alternate Thrown Down is from that.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Here is the TISL outtake of Thrown Down, also known as the 'wall of sound' version, used in some terrible soap-opera clip compilation. If you don't know, 'wall of sound' refers to a production technique originated by Phil Spector.

From wikipedia:

It has so much energy, it rocks, it pulses, it's exciting - whereas the SYW version sounds like Stevie got reprimanded before recording the vocal.

That album needed a track like that.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Do we have any true verification that the Wall of Sound version of Thrown Down is from the TISL sessions? It just sounds more Fleetwood Mac - Lindsey guitar playing. I always thought of it as an early arrangement and mix from the SYW sessions that obviously got re-worked later with Chris Lord-Alge got a hold of it
Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes StevieNicksfann, the "Wall Of Sound" version of Thrown Down was most definitely recorded for the TISL album and was included on the pre-release acetate cd that was issued in September 2000. I believe the track was produced by Sheryl Crow in December 1998 and that Lindsey attended the recording session, hence the Fleetwood Mac vibe.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wow, that is beautiful. Thrown Down is one of my fav SYW tracks, and I love that version too. Totally different vibes from the song, but both valid. Thanks for posting that. I saw someone posted a mediafire a few years back with the 3 cut tracks, but it's down now. Would love to have those if someone's feeling generous!

I see TISL had a lot of producers. I doubt that Lindsey would let an FM album NOT be produced by him though. He seems to be a control/detail person... just a li'l
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

I can hear Lindsey singing in it. He played guitar on I Miss You so I could be from the TISL sessions. I like both versions. Can't decide
Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNicksfann View Post
Do we have any true verification that the Wall of Sound version of Thrown Down is from the TISL sessions? It just sounds more Fleetwood Mac - Lindsey guitar playing. I always thought of it as an early arrangement and mix from the SYW sessions that obviously got re-worked later with Chris Lord-Alge got a hold of it
well also, in the Destiny Rules documentary when the band goes in and hears Mark Needham's mix he was the one who pulled out various pieces (albeit ones produced/played by LB) and created that mix... things like the "together, together, together" vocal in conjunction with the acoustic guitar twanging (my technical term lol) and LB was like "oh wow I like how you put those together" and how Mark mixed the tracks (like this song and I'm sure others) in ways that he hadn't thought of nor would (according to LB) any one else (not forgetting his rip on Chris Lord-Alge).

So I think the SYW version is a combo of how LB chose to record different tracks for the song and then how Mark Needham heard all the raw tracks and chose to blend them together. LB clearly loved the mix and Stevie clearly didn't and went into the whole thing of getting Chris to mix a few key songs so they could compare.

Seems like in the end perhaps Stevie "went along to get along" which is a shame. If you think your music doesn't sound as good as you want it too, fight for it dammit! I know it gets ugly sometimes between her and LB but why let crap go out over and over again?? May explain her reluctance/resistance to giving them songs for the EP??

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-30-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anyone have a scan of the acetate to share? I don't doubt it exists because those outtakes had to come from somewhere. I've seen the acetate for the TISL demos and the 5-track sampler, but never the 16-tracker. The unconfirmed story is that "certain people" received them at the 2000 AHI Benefit. Anyone?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Does anyone have a scan of the acetate to share? I don't doubt it exists because those outtakes had to come from somewhere. I've seen the acetate for the TISL demos and the 5-track sampler, but never the 16-tracker. The unconfirmed story is that "certain people" received them at the 2000 AHI Benefit. Anyone?
That's right. Stevie's well known for handing out unfinished stuff. That's why we have so many demo's and outtakes available now, because she'd go a party coked up to hell and say "oh, listen to this and tell me what you think" and before you knew it, the cassettes were circulating.

I do wish somebody would tell Stevie this, I get annoyed at her complaining about people "stealing" her songs when she's the one that was handing them out.

Anyway, back to the point, the TISL acetate also contains the the TISL version of "My Heart" (which is, IMO, FAR superior to the IYD version), alternate mixes of "Too Far From Texas" and "Bombay Saphires" and (I *think*, correct me if I'm wrong), "Space Needle".
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Me too. Although that earlier version has something the SYWversion lacks and vice versa. But it is bull to state that he ruïned the song, in my world.
I agree with that completely. Also, I would argue that no version of Thrown Down was going to be a big hit in 2003. People who keep seeing phantom hits in FM songs from the last decade are still stuck in the band's heyday, much like a couple of the band members seem to be. Accept it: There will be no more FM hits.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for posting this! Very interesting to hear. I still MUCH prefer the SYW version, as this one sounds bland, the drums sort of bombastic, a little too middle-of-the-road sounding -- although I do like how prominent Lindsey's vocals are in it.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had to listen to this "Wall of Sound" version again because it had been a long time since I heard it. The SYW version is superior, in my humble opinion. Everything is a little more subtle, and the guitar that starts the song immediately identifies the track as a FM song. Yeah, I think they made the right choice here. The only thing I would have changed is the space-age synthesizer riff panned right on the chorus. I would have changed it to a less spacey keyboard sound or to a guitar -- or, or, or... a cello. Now that would have been cool!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:33 PM
Junior Ledgie

The sarcasm is pardoned. Mick is obviously excited about heading back to the studio, as, it sounds like, is Christine. They have a few tracks in the works. As to an actual album we can only hope. I just thought it was so cool that Christine's surprise (amazing) appearance in concert with Mick last year on Maui thrilled her enough to want to return to the stage!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Opening a Track....

I would really love the new album to open up with a Christine McVie track with some great harmonizing with Lindsey and Stevie. Love in Store comes to mind. I love that track as an opener. Never take your love away.........Great tune!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I would really love the new album to open up with a Christine McVie track with some great harmonizing with Lindsey and Stevie. Love in Store comes to mind. I love that track as an opener. Never take your love away.........Great tune!
Yes! That song is severely underrated and really makes you feel like it's a cohesive band and not a couple solo projects with the same drummer and bassist lol.