Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Junior Ledgie

Seems just fantastic this outdoor show!! Would had loved to be there
Old 12-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting these videos. The Mac definitely seemed to rock out for you. The venue looks beautiful, wow,what a place to see a show. Love the Goodbyes, they seemed so appreciative of the crowd sticking it out through the rain, which was way cool.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Powhiri for Fleetwood Mac gets great response

Taranaki Daily News Last updated 05:00 21/12/2009

The song Rhiannon proved the perfect response to a welcoming powhiri for Fleetwood Mac.

After Saturday's concert at the TSB Bowl of Brooklands, the members of Fleetwood Mac were treated to a powhiri backstage by a local kapahaka group.

New Plymouth District Council manager business development and events Garry Sharpe-Young said the band had never refused a powhiri.

It was simply a timing issue.

"The time schedules were changing and all over the place," Mr Sharpe-Young said.

As Fleetwood Mac members Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie went backstage after the show, the powhiri happened behind the scenes.

"The kapahaka group looked magnificent and sounded wonderful," said Mr Sharpe-Young.

"They performed, then Lindsay McLeod explained this is what we normally do and people usually sing a song back but you don't need to, but they did Rhiannon."

He said having Stevie Nicks singing two feet away was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Mick Fleetwood grabbed a rubbish bin from the caterers and started banging away on it, said Mr Sharpe-Young, adding a cheeky Mr McLeod hugged Ms Nicks and asked for her phone number.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...great-response
Old 12-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, what an amazing night! And what a setting! The weather on Sunday was beautiful, but it turned much colder and windier as the show started. Stevie was all bundled up in coats and scarves. But the wind would rise at the most opportune moments, and her hair and chiffon took on such dramatic movement- quite haunting! Anyway, some highlights-

-Lindsey started tearing up at the end of Sara and his voice was quivering as he gave a heartfelt speech for the crew before going into the canned speech for BigLove.

-lindsey, after listening to a year's worth of inaccuracies during Stevie's "Gypsy" speech, finally started correcting her, both on and off mic. Finally, after Stevie was stunned and speechlessfor a few seconds, lindsey gave her a kiss on the cheek. That was worth flying halfway around the world for- to see the go at it like bratty kids!

-There was a barricade in front of the stage plus two very large steps going up to the stage, so everyone was at least ten feet away- as it turned out, there was a little sliver of moat in front of the stage. Ducks were swimming by on occasion. Security was terribly strict- no cameras or standing without a seat! I unfortunately did not get any pictures until the very end.

-Mick's twins joined him at the end during his farewell speech. He signed off by saying "The Mac... will be back!"

-Lindsey was laughing at the drunken dwarf who was dancing around during the acoustic set.

Anyway, there are so many morespecial moments... this really is a magical country- im just in awe of the incredible beauty and the nice people. And I managed to drive on the wrong side if the road pretty well, although I was freaking out for the first hour or so! I'm sunburned, blistered, and I clocked my forehead against a fallen tree before the show, but I am having the best time evah! It's paradise.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Registered

Old 12-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
-lindsey, after listening to a year's worth of inaccuracies during Stevie's "Gypsy" speech, finally started correcting her, both on and off mic. Finally, after Stevie was stunned and speechlessfor a few seconds, lindsey gave her a kiss on the cheek. That was worth flying halfway around the world for- to see the go at it like bratty kids!
I really hope there is a video of this! Do you remember what he was correcting her about? That's hysterical!!

Thanks for the review.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcConville View Post
I know Liam - how random, right?! Stevie was busting through the cobwebs to pull this one out!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I know Liam - how random, right?! Stevie was busting through the cobwebs to pull this one out!
Nothing is random for Stevie. And her yelling at the end...
Old 12-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcConville View Post
Nothing is random for Stevie. And her yelling at the end...
Steviemodernism = everything is random.

What the rockin' great audience? She did that at my shows..
Old 12-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, what an amazing night! And what a setting! The weather on Sunday was beautiful, but it turned much colder and windier as the show started. Stevie was all bundled up in coats and scarves. But the wind would rise at the most opportune moments, and her hair and chiffon took on such dramatic movement- quite haunting! Anyway, some highlights-

-Lindsey started tearing up at the end of Sara and his voice was quivering as he gave a heartfelt speech for the crew before going into the canned speech for BigLove.
Please, you get me so excited. Did he say something to Cory in particular? I know he's always going to cry when he does that. Tell her something like her father would be proud of her?

As for him correcting Stevie on and off the mic that is the most spectacular thing ever. Details when you get a chance. Provided you aren't disoriented from a concussion after hitting your head on that tree.

Did Stevie interact with Mick's twins?

Michele
Old 12-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

-There was a barricade in front of the stage plus two very large steps going up to the stage, so everyone was at least ten feet away- as it turned out, there was a little sliver of moat in front of the stage. Ducks were swimming by on occasion. Security was terribly strict- no cameras or standing without a seat! I unfortunately did not get any pictures until the very end.

-Mick's twins joined him at the end during his farewell speech. He signed off by saying "The Mac... will be back!"

-Lindsey was laughing at the drunken dwarf who was dancing around during the acoustic set.

Anyway, there are so many morespecial moments... this really is a magical country- im just in awe of the incredible beauty and the nice people. And I managed to drive on the wrong side if the road pretty well, although I was freaking out for the first hour or so! I'm sunburned, blistered, and I clocked my forehead against a fallen tree before the show, but I am having the best time evah! It's paradise.
Thanks for sharing all those tidbits with us. I can't wait to hear more.

So glad you got to experience what sounds like one of the best, if not the best show this tour. And like you said, worth the trip half way around the world. Absolutely Priceless!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey said that this show was one of the Top 5 concerts of his career. I wonder what the other 4 were!

Michele
Old 12-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[So Lindsey is texting now, eh?]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...ow-in-top-five

Veteran Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham declared Saturday's New Plymouth concert as one of the five all-time top shows of his career.

That gig was the first of two the supergroup played at the TSB Bowl of Brooklands in New Plymouth at the weekend.

More than 36,000 people attended the concerts and all walked away with the memory of an energetic band still full of melodic power after more then 40 years in the business.

Fleetwood Mac promoter Andrew McManus said the whole band was more than impressed with the venue and the crowd's enthusiasm.

"Stevie [Nicks] knew the venue from playing last time and when I spoke to the band after the show they were just glowing."

He said he received a text message from Buckingham yesterday morning which said it all.

"It said it was one of the top five shows he has played in his career – and he has played a lot of shows."

And the persistent rain during Saturday's show did little to put the band off. In fact, they said it added to act. During the short time Fleetwood Mac was in New Plymouth Mick Fleetwood took his family out and about while Nicks took the day to rest, Mr McManus said.

"Stevie is a professional, she always says `I've got an instrument which 17,000 people are paying to hear and I need to protect it'. So she rests in her suite and doesn't talk."

As for rumours this is Fleetwood Mac's final world tour it won't be if Mr McManus has anything to do with it.

He said Buckingham was writing new material and another album, coupled with another world tour, could be in the works. "And if they do tour and New Plymouth is not on the itinerary then I will be having a serious talk with them," Mr McManus laughed. "Mick and John [McVie] just love touring, they love being on the road and Mick has just been nominated for a Grammy in the jazz section.

"Stevie is the key and I would love to think they could all work together again and be on the road in two or three years.

"This is the third show I have brought to New Plymouth and the venue is just world-class," he said.

"It is the ambience and the acoustics that make it work. We have played a lot of bowl venues where the acoustics just swirl around. It's amazing really."

He says the success of the Fleetwood Mac shows has opened the floodgates for other promoters to bring artists to New Plymouth.

"The band's enjoyment is important and at the bowl all the boxes were ticked."
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Silver Spring 12/18

Old 12-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...iver-the-goods

Fleetwood Mac Delivers the Goods, 12-21-09 by Matt Rilkoff

"We have had a ball."

Mick Fleetwood spoke for 36,000 fans and the city of New Plymouth when he said goodbye for the 83rd time on the final concert of their 10-month Unleashed tour last night.

However, guitarist and singer Lindsey Buckingham hinted there was more to come.

"New Zealand, thank you so much for making our last show so great. We absolutely loved it. You were an absolute pleasure. We will see you next time," he said.

However, when next time will be was left hanging.

Whether they come back or not, the supergroup has left everyone satisfied for now.

Fleetwood Mac could not put a foot wrong during their two concerts at New Plymouth's picturesque Bowl of Brooklands on Saturday and last night.

Hardly a shower touched last night's crowd at the Bowl for the second concert by the much-loved supergroup.

By comparison Saturday's fans got soaked, but neither group would have traded places for the world.

Wet and dry, fans revelled in being so close to the music heard in so many of their memories.

From the first song Monday Morning those who hoped to sit through the concert realised it was hopeless.

As a mass the crowd rose and for the next 2 1/2-hours bounced, swayed and cheered with the energy pouring from the stage.

Between the big hits like Gypsy, Rhiannon and Landslide guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and singer Steve Nicks reflected on their own successes, excesses and the relationships that kept the band gravitating towards each other through all the turmoil.

"Something you will notice is we take breaks, sometimes long breaks," said Buckingham, in reference to the on-again off-again relationship the band members share.

"But each time we come back it's something different."

Although not so different their fans didn't drift into a pleasant fog of nostalgia. For the many baby-boomers it was a chance to relive their 20s and dust-off the dance moves that still embarrass their offspring, who themselves knew the music from their childhood.

For everyone in between, the songs were soundtracks to memories they would never forget.

Sue Greenville of Te Aroha proudly declared the group her favourite of all time.

The fact the voices of Nicks and Buckingham lacked the raw power of old was never going to detract from her experience.

"It was absolutely fantastic. I knew every single one of the songs and loved every minute of it. It was really, really cool," she said.

The concert was her first time at the Bowl of Brooklands and if Fleetwood Mac came back, as Mick Fleetwood hinted they might do, so would she.

And from the rumbling cheers the opening bars of each song were met with, it is unlikely she would be alone.

Although their 10-month world tour finished last night, from the way all the individual group members revelled in the experience it is unlikely the band members will go their separate ways.

Early in the set Buckingham spoke of how much they were enjoying the tour.

"There is none of the pressure of promoting a new album because there is no new album to promote. Yet," he said.

That they were having fun was plain to see, even from the very back of the Bowl where the on-stage antics were best watched on the two large video screens on each side of the stage.

Fleetwood's energetic drumming and vast array of facial expressions were beaten in enthusiasm only by Buckingham's near crazed strutting guitar solos which belied his age and expected hip strength.

For many it was Nicks who stole the show with her many changes of costume, her high heeled prancing and otherworldly dance style.

Despite the Bowl hosting one of the biggest crowds ever, there was little trouble to speak of.