The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Ledgie

Christine McVie was from Greenodd in Cumbria, one of the outlying villages. I grew up there!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
The thing is that she rehearsed with the band in Dublin. If that's the case, why would it hurt to have her perform in one of the Dublin dates (most likely the second) as a sort of warm-up for the London shows?
Ireland isn't part of the UK and the UK has always had the biggest music scene along with the US. Making it big in either the UK, US or both is always seen as THE achievement to make. Therefore, "Christine McVie rejoins Fleetwood Mac on stage in London" has FAR greater impact and will generate more press and hype than "Christine McVie rejoins Fleetwood Mac on stage in Dublin". When a big act like Fleetwood Mac sells out 3 nights at the o2 arena, the whole UK music industry is watching. Christine joining the band in Dublin would have really only created hype amongst the Irish music industry and the die hard fans like us. Christine in joining the band in the UK makes HUGE splashes in the press and within the music industry - it's currently all over every music website over here, which certainly didn't happen for Maui.

If Chris was going to rejoin the Mac, it had to be in a major city which would generate hype and no offense to the Irish, but London is a far more important city musically than Dublin.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocadelady View Post
Christine McVie was from Greenodd in Cumbria, one of the outlying villages. I grew up there!
Lovely part of the country-my Grandad was born down in Millom.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Ireland isn't part of the UK and the UK has always had the biggest music scene along with the US. Making it big in either the UK, US or both is always seen as THE achievement to make. Therefore, "Christine McVie rejoins Fleetwood Mac on stage in London" has FAR greater impact and will generate more press and hype than "Christine McVie rejoins Fleetwood Mac on stage in Dublin". When a big act like Fleetwood Mac sells out 3 nights at the o2 arena, the whole UK music industry is watching. Christine joining the band in Dublin would have really only created hype amongst the Irish music industry and the die hard fans like us. Christine in joining the band in the UK makes HUGE splashes in the press and within the music industry - it's currently all over every music website over here, which certainly didn't happen for Maui.

If Chris was going to rejoin the Mac, it had to be in a major city which would generate hype and no offense to the Irish, but London is a far more important city musically than Dublin.
Agreed--it had to be London.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Lol at this entire post, we have the INTERNET now, the first appearance in 15 years of Christine Mcvie with Fleetwood Mac would have made waves even if it were held on Mars. Also: offence taken...if London was that important they'd have launched the tour there
Old 09-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post

As for intentions to record/tour, based on little tidbits of information (Mick's confirmation that she's writing new music, her comments on being "rather lonely" in Kent, her contribution to Jenny Boyd's book), it looks like she's taking baby steps for another return to the whole music shebang, regardless if solo or with the band.

Actually, I thought about Vegas a while back. It's a perfect opportunity to reintroduce Christine back to the fold (if that's the case), and ridiculously lucrative, to boot. I dream that she does a full set for Vegas, but I doubt that would happen, realistically speaking.
I have to agree I don't think Chris will be at the Vegas show either. Because I don't think she wants to be a full member of the band again. It does seem like she's maybe wanting to record again and might do a little touring to promote it, but I don't think she really wants to make a full commitment to be in the FM army again.

Their touring scheduled is crazy. Chris has not done any heavy touring since..uh..mmm...1990? I know she did "The Dance" tour back in 1997, but that was only for about 6 months and for a band like Fleetwood Mac that's like a warm up tour. Also she's 70 years old and I can see that having to make that kinda of long term commitment with the band may not be very attractive to her anymore.

The reason I think she might have been willing to do some off and on date's with the band, goes back to Lindsey's statement that "she can't just come and go". Obviously, that could be a response to the question of if she could come and play a few shows with the band in London. But like you said since Chris does seem to be taking baby steps toward a possible return to music it and she did play with the band in London it seems that she might be willing to do some possible dates with the band here and there, but again she most likely would not want to make a full commitment to rejoin.

Last edited by Deeshere; 09-28-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
of course he did. he's also responsible for there not being the world peace and/or anything else someone may not like.
I don't know if Lindsey kiboshed Christine doing any shows in Ireland, but he really has a lot more power in the band than you are giving him credit for.

I do believe that most of the decisions in the band are divided 4 ways, but no one in the band wants to make him so mad he refuses to tour (I doubt he would quit again, even now he just says he took a long break from the band). And like I said before, he's the band's musical and lighting director, lead guitarist and jack of all trades now. I could be wrong, but I think when they are touring the rest of the band pretty much just shows up, rehearses and does interviews (except for John).

That being said it's a pretty sweet deal if you can get it, and even if it is 3 against 1(that Christine be allow back in the band part time) I doubt John or Mick (Stevie can go back to her solo work if she wants to) would want to force Lindsey into a corner because you never know what he will do.

Last edited by Deeshere; 09-28-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Old 09-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Lol at this entire post, we have the INTERNET now, the first appearance in 15 years of Christine Mcvie with Fleetwood Mac would have made waves even if it were held on Mars. Also: offence taken...if London was that important they'd have launched the tour there
Irrelevant. The UK still has the largest music industry in Europe, so without Christine traveling to the states and performing there, London was the only choice.

Incidentally, the tour was launched in Vancouver. Your point is invalid. No offense intended, I am half Irish so I do have some right to make the point I made.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Irrelevant. The UK still has the largest music industry in Europe, so without Christine traveling to the states and performing there, London was the only choice.

Incidentally, the tour was launched in Vancouver. Your point is invalid. No offense intended, I am half Irish so I do have some right to make the point I made.
what tour?

enjoying your little back and forth.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
what tour?

enjoying your little back and forth.
Do excuse me, I'm posting from my phone. It helps if I scroll all the way down the page, doesn't it

The tour was launched in Columbus is what I should have pointed out.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Point taken, but Christine coming back to perform would still be big, regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
I have to agree I don't think Chris will be at the Vegas show either. Because I don't think she wants to be a full member of the band again. It does seem like she's maybe wanting to record again and might do a little touring to promote it, but I don't think she really wants to make a full commitment to be in the FM army again.

Their touring scheduled is crazy. Chris has not done any heavy touring since..uh..mmm...1990? I know she did "The Dance" tour back in 1997, but that was only for about 6 months and for a band like Fleetwood Mac that's like a warm up tour. Also she's 70 years old and I can see that having to make that kinda of long term commitment with the band may not be very attractive to her anymore.

The reason I think she might have been willing to do some off and on date's with the band, goes back to Lindsey's statement that "she can't just come and go". Obviously, that could be a response to the question of if she could come and play a few shows with the band in London. But like you said since Chris does seem to be taking baby steps toward a possible return to music it and she did play with the band in London it seems that she might be willing to do some possible dates with the band here and there, but again she most likely would not want to make a full commitment to rejoin.
She's definitely done with the mammoth-sized tours (as you said, she's 70 years old and if it wasn't appealing to her then, it certainly wouldn't be now), but she might have agreed to a shorter tour (maybe arena residencies in a few key cities as well). Though knowing how much money whores they all are, they're not gonna be willing to shorten the tour. Unless they could be persuaded to come up with a tour short enough to get Chris on board full-time, but long enough for a big payday. But if a DVD of, let's say, 2-3 full shows of that shorter tour with different setlists, were to be released with all 5 onboard, that can counteract the smaller revenue from the tours. But that's just how I see it. I'm sure the inner workings of the situation is more complicated than that.

On the other hand, if she does not rejoin (a more likely scenario), all I want is for her to release new music. Something like how In the Meantime worked for her, except that I would love her to do a few live performances in small venues in the UK where she could head home to bed right after. With the help of a few people, another suggestion is to do a live stream of said performances on YouTube so other people who otherwise wouldn't be able to come to the shows can still watch in the comfort of their own home or wherever they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
I don't know if Lindsey kiboshed Christine doing any shows in Ireland, but he really has a lot more power in the band than you are giving him credit for.

I do believe that most of the decisions in the band are divided 4 ways, but no one in the band wants to make him so mad he refuses to tour (I doubt he would quit again, even now he just says he took a long break from the band). And like I said before, he's the band's musical and lighting director, lead guitarist and jack of all trades now. I could be wrong, but I think when they are touring the rest of the band pretty much just shows up, rehearses and does interviews (except for John).

That being said it's a pretty sweet deal if you can get it, and even if it is 3 against 1(that Christine be allow back in the band part time) I doubt John or Mick (Stevie can go back to her solo work if she wants to) would want to force Lindsey into a corner because you never know what he will do.
Lindsey (and Stevie) definitely hold the power in the band. If one of them says "screw this", we're screwed.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie

Last edited by applebucked; 09-28-2013 at 10:46 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Well, if it's important for any reason, it's because it's Christine's home. She didn't have to travel and it's also a momentous return for the longer term Macsters. So, I can understand an argument that that's where it had to be.

Of course, me, I'd just as soon they did it in Detroit.

Michele
Old 09-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by getTusked View Post
Lindsey is protective and defensive about Fleetwood Mac and has admitted several times how pushy and intense he can be...
Lindsey and Stella.

Michele
Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No, she was from Birmingham. Incidentally, she's not doing the Birmingham show.

Except that she wrote it with Lindsey, it was a Lindsey-Christine duet, and it immediately precedes "Don't Stop" in the set.

I agree. World Turning would have been the best place to come in and she wouldn't even have to play the piano on it. Just sing.

Michele
Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, if it's important for any reason, it's because it's Christine's home. She didn't have to travel and it's also a momentous return for the longer term Macsters. So, I can understand an argument that that's where it had to be.

Of course, me, I'd just as soon they did it in Detroit.
Well, Christine probably wants to play where she could sleep in her own bed right after the show. If that's the case, I'd say release a solo album and play gigs in London/Canterbury. And record/livestream that sh*t on YouTube!

(the whip smiley is a photo hahahaha)

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie