User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt
You and Miss Vicky have given me a badly needed splash of cold water. I hate the Oscars and my favorites weren't even nominated. I wasn't even a BB Mountain freak. I can't believe I'm getting all worked up over this.
Awww, have a drink on me honey! Oh and don't bother watching next year lol.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Lauren Bacall looks amazing for 81. I felt bad that she couldn't see.

I kind of lost a bit of respect for her when she dissed Nicole for what others think of her. Nicole Kidman never asked to be called a LEGEND. Lauren got jealous and said that she hasn't earned that title and is just a BEGINNER! GEEZ...that was brutal, seeing as how she has done pretty well for herself for her age and Bacall's star has faded fast through the years.

Image hosting by Photobucket

We didn't inherit the Earth from our parents...
it was loaned to us by our children!

Old 03-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiniLeaE

I kind of lost a bit of respect for her when she dissed Nicole for what others think of her. Nicole Kidman never asked to be called a LEGEND. Lauren got jealous and said that she hasn't earned that title and is just a BEGINNER! GEEZ...that was brutal, seeing as how she has done pretty well for herself for her age and Bacall's star has faded fast through the years.
Did she say that tonight? How did I miss that?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I never cared...

Quote:
You and Miss Vicky have given me a badly needed splash of cold water. I hate the Oscars and my favorites weren't even nominated. I wasn't even a BB Mountain freak. I can't believe I'm getting all worked up over this.
what some stupid ass "Academy" deemed to be the "Movie" for the following year (Have to talk to my sister tomorrow about this, since she has been in several movies)...Either I will like it or not, I dont need those asshydrants of an "Academy" to honor the best of the best.

I still havent seen BB Mountain, But I would like to see something win that will shake the system up...I guess I am too much an ethropist at heart!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister
Awww, have a drink on me honey! Oh and don't bother watching next year lol.

I highly doubt I'll watch next year. I only watched tonight to see Dolly and then got caught up in it.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
Did she say that tonight? How did I miss that?

Oh, No...that was from an article interview during the movie they made together called "Birth". I will find the article and post it. I will have to say that she also dissed Tom Cruise, which I totally agree with...but who doesn't think he's gone loony!

Old 03-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

Unhappy

Quote:

I highly doubt I'll watch next year. I only watched tonight to see Dolly and then got caught up in it.

Same here! I wanted Dolly and Felicity to win so bad...but it was not to be I just wanted to hear Dolly's speech that she had planned about Transexuals and it was going to be so funny and heartwarming!!

Old 03-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Since I'm grouchy, I'd like to say that while I appreciated what George Clooney was trying to say about being proud to be out of touch, it is total crap that Hollywood addressed AIDS when everyone else was whispering about it. Hollywood was just as shamefully late in acknowledging the epidemic as everyone else. He picked the wrong example there.

Oh well, at least I have GiniLeaE's pretty emails to look at.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am pissed...PISSED...that Brokeback didn't win. It soooooo should have. And I'm a Crash fan. What the hell? I didn't quite believe it...and there was a total collective gasp from the audience too. Well I'm just going to have to sit here and sulk now.

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, but this is a total joke.

I will now repeat my conspiracy theory that I posted when Crash was announced as a nominee. I said that there is a conservative element in the Academy that wouldn't want a man-on-man love movie to win, and would push Crash as the winner so that it couldn't get accused of bigotry.

There is no way that Crash was the best picture of the year. This is a disgrace in my humble opinion.
Of course it is a disgrace, and of course there is a conservative element in the academy that wouldn't even WATCH the BBM screeners. That was the talk of the town months ago.

I saw Crash last week, and thought it had the sophistication and emotional impact of an ABC afterschool special. It was amateurish, and a total mishmash. I have seen many films about race that were moving and relevant and Crash isn't among them. It was okay. I didn't hate it, didn't love it. It made me feel almost nothing. The scene at the end was the only part that made me react at all. It had too many characters, too many plots, and not enough screen time was given to any of them to allow the audience to invest emotion in them. The plot was an unbelievable contrivance, and some of the lines in the script were unintentionally funny. It is the weakest film to win Best Picture in all the years I have watched the awards. It isn't crap, but it isn't anywhere near the league of the others nominated.

In a month, no one will care about Crash. It will be a footnote in the annals of moviemaking. The most remarkable thing about it will be that it upset Brokeback. That's it. I know of no one who said Crash changed their lives, or their minds about anything. It wasn't hard hitting, it wasn't controversial, it wasn't much of anything at all. It has no cultural significance. The issues it addresses have been done leagues better by other films throughout history. It's a blip on the radar in terms of quality and importance. Even the director said in an interview that BBM was hands down the best movie of the year.

It is telling that BP is the only award that all 6500 members of the academy vote on. Many of the older members are VERY conservative, and that explains everything. But really, it is no matter. Many of the greatest films made didn't win BP, and the list of the ones that did that everyone has forgotten is pretty damned long.

Am I bitter ? Of course I am. But I know I a great movie when I see it, and Crash was not a great movie. It was a decent movie. That's it.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

Quote:

Oh well, at least I have GiniLeaE's pretty emails to look at.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For Ken and anyone else who missed it...

Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiniLeaE

Same here! I wanted Dolly and Felicity to win so bad...but it was not to be I just wanted to hear Dolly's speech that she had planned about Transexuals and it was going to be so funny and heartwarming!!
And I wanted Michelle Williams to win, too.
I've only seen BBM, not the others yet, though Capote looks very interesting. From what I saw, I guess Seymour deserved the Oscar.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

well...I said it. I knew BBM wouldn't sweep like everyone was expecting. the Oscars can suck it. they should be ashamed, imo. Dolly's song should have won, hands down. BBM should have received some kind of actor/actress Oscar. and Ang Lee didn't even thank the actors in the movie...or did he and I just missed it? Stewart as host was fabulous, I thought. Poor Lauren Bacall...why did that give that bat that much to recite??? She was shaking so bad. At first, I couldn't tell if it was her or me.

All in all, it sucked.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs3676
Here are my annual Oscar predictions...

Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener. I would really prefer Michelle Williams to win for Brokeback Mountain, but I think the Academy will honor Rachel.

Best Supporting Actor: This could go to either George Clooney for Syriana (he has 3 nominations this year and will probably win this one) or Matt Dillon for Crash. I would love to see Matt Dillon - one of my favorite actors - win and the Academy very well could honor him because this was a terrific role, but George Clooney is so beloved in Hollywood. This will be an interesting category.

Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon for Walk The Line. There is a huge buzz behind Felicity Huffman in Transamerica (and wouldn't that be something if she won?), but I don't think enough people have seen that movie. My bet is that it's Reese's night.

Best Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. My favorite working actor today, he was brilliant in this role and the Academy truly respects this amazingly talented actor.

Best Director: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain. A gorgeous, sweeping, beautiful movie.

Best Film: Crash. While Brokeback Mountain could very well win (and deservingly so), I think that the Academy will vote for Crash for it's social commentary and it's bold look at racism in America.

rbs

I hope you bet on this, because you got every category correct!

Last edited by cliffdweller; 03-06-2006 at 11:45 AM..