User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I think she would care and that's what upsets me. I don't dislike you, I was just upset to read that, you are actually one of my favourite people on here but I can't take blows to her like that well.
I feel the same towards you. And I'll offer an apology for what I said.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Apology accepted

I've not seen Heart's behind the music because Vh1 over here sucks. I saw their Private Sessions a while back (which I recorded) and thought the performance of White Lightning and Wine was superb. Do artists perform on Behind the Music or are they just documentaries?

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll try a short explaination about the wardrobe (weight) comment.
My favorite singer Elvis let his life get out of control. And the last
two years of his life were hell. His weight was very heavy at the end.

Stevie Nicks, almost the same situation, drugs and severe weight gain.
I remember thinking she was going to die in the early 90's.

So the comment about weight in Ms. Wilson's case can be taken in context.
Although her wardrobe could be better without regard to weight.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Registered

I remember watching a special on Heart where Ann spoke very candidly about her struggles with her weight, and it brought tears to my eyes. Even in the 70s, when she was thin, she had to really work at it - her body naturally wanted to be heavier, so she basically had to starve herself to stay that small, and she wasn't happy.

When she put on weight, the record execs were awful to her - take a look at the video for "Alone" - they purposely filmed it so that we only see very close-up shots of Ann's face and very long range shots where it's hard to see her at all. She spoke about how they did that on purpose, because they said no one would want to look at her due to her weight, and therefore Nancy should get most of the camera time.

It's a damn shame when someone with a voice as phenomenal as Ann Wilson's has to be "hidden" because other people may not "approve" of her looks. It's nobody's business but her own. She's a class act and she can SING. My gawd, can she SING. I mean - LOOK:

I love Ann Wilson. She's an amazing gift, and she can wear a shower curtain for all I care.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
When she put on weight, the record execs were awful to her......

It's a damn shame when someone with a voice as phenomenal as Ann Wilson's has to be "hidden" because other people may not "approve" of her looks. It's nobody's business but her own. She's a class act and she can SING. My gawd, can she SING.
I love Ann Wilson. She's an amazing gift, and she can wear a shower curtain for all I care.
I agree many were awful to her. And I also agree that woman can sing.
But I'm not sure about it being anyone's business but her own. I know
it's totally unfair, and I believe most women are given a much harder
time about gaining weight. But don't you think with the money she and
other stars with the same fame have - couldn't they at least have a dietician
or someone make sure they have the right food to eat.

I don't know if drugs had anything to do with Ann's weight gain. But it sure did
with Elvis' and Stevie Nicks. Too many "yes" people around. No one to tell them
the truth. All the way down to the fans. And by fans, I mean the ones that will
accept anything the artist does, even if it's unhealthy to the very artist they care
about.

Buttercookie was right that I shouldn't have mentioned her weight, even though
I did so as carefully as I could without coming right out and saying she's ____.
As I don't know enough details about her personal struggle with weight. But for
her health's sake I wish she could lose some weight.

And I agree Zombie, Ann's voice is great.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Can I just say I love the fact that Nancy is doing jumping jacks while playing guitar. That can't be easy lol.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as I know Ann and Nancy are and have always been completely clean but I may be wrong there so don't quote me on that.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I remember watching a special on Heart where Ann spoke very candidly about her struggles with her weight, and it brought tears to my eyes. Even in the 70s, when she was thin, she had to really work at it - her body naturally wanted to be heavier, so she basically had to starve herself to stay that small, and she wasn't happy.

When she put on weight, the record execs were awful to her - take a look at the video for "Alone" - they purposely filmed it so that we only see very close-up shots of Ann's face and very long range shots where it's hard to see her at all. She spoke about how they did that on purpose, because they said no one would want to look at her due to her weight, and therefore Nancy should get most of the camera time.

It's a damn shame when someone with a voice as phenomenal as Ann Wilson's has to be "hidden" because other people may not "approve" of her looks. It's nobody's business but her own. She's a class act and she can SING. My gawd, can she SING. I mean - LOOK:

I feel like they did Ann Wilson a definite disservice by not showing her more in the 'Alone' video. The difference between seeing her in the videos from the 1985album and the video for "All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You' was a major shock to all the fans I knew. I think if the changes had been seen in 1987, it would have made the weigh issue not such a big deal.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I feel like they did Ann Wilson a definite disservice by not showing her more in the 'Alone' video. The difference between seeing her in the videos from the 1985album and the video for "All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You' was a major shock to all the fans I knew. I think if the changes had been seen in 1987, it would have made the weigh issue not such a big deal.
Alone is my favorite Heart song. JTIS.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
As I don't know enough details about her personal struggle with weight. But for her health's sake I wish she could lose some weight.
Not long ago, I attended a concert by Jimmy Webb. He brought up all the amazing artists he has written for. He then began to tell us about Linda Ronstadt, and how her health was failing....how she had began to struggle with her weight and, being ripped in the press, made the decision to have some sort of gastric bypass, which then lead to the many health issues she has struggled with and continues to endure to this day. He was about in tears as he relayed the phone call he received the night prior with the disturbing news that she might not make it through the recent issues. Just before he began to stroke the keys and sing one of the many songs he had written for her, he asked us all to pray and send good thoughts her way.

My point being, some have personal struggles with weight, either being over or under weight, and until you are in that person's shoes, one should not spout off how they 'wish they'd lose weight so they'd be healthy' etc etc... it doesn't always work that way and there usually are all sorts of reasons behind weight issues. Take a look around, and be thankful if you yourself are healthy and right on target for your weight range. JTIS my opinion.

enjoy
Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
I agree many were awful to her. And I also agree that woman can sing.
But I'm not sure about it being anyone's business but her own. I know
it's totally unfair, and I believe most women are given a much harder
time about gaining weight. But don't you think with the money she and
other stars with the same fame have - couldn't they at least have a dietician
or someone make sure they have the right food to eat.
Saying "couldn't they at least have a dietician or someone make sure they have the right food to eat" is incredibly offensive. It implies that fat people are fat because they somehow don't "know any better," and therefore need someone to tell them what to do with their own bodies. It neglects to account for the wide variety of other reasons that could cause weight gain, and while it's true that not everyone is overweight due to a medical condition they can't control, you don't KNOW for sure that the person you are looking at doesn't have one of them.

Besides, if you know it's totally unfair, why would you participate in perpetuating that unfairness?

Quote:
I don't know if drugs had anything to do with Ann's weight gain. But it sure did
with Elvis' and Stevie Nicks. Too many "yes" people around. No one to tell them
the truth. All the way down to the fans. And by fans, I mean the ones that will
accept anything the artist does, even if it's unhealthy to the very artist they care
about.

Buttercookie was right that I shouldn't have mentioned her weight, even though
I did so as carefully as I could without coming right out and saying she's ____.
As I don't know enough details about her personal struggle with weight. But for
her health's sake I wish she could lose some weight.
What "truth"? Do you think fat people don't know they're fat or something? Like, "Hey, Zombie, uh...dunno how to break it to you, but you're kinda fat..." and then I'm going to be all, "WAIT. WHAT? I'M FAT? OMG, NO WAY. I HAD NO IDEA. Thank you, kind observer, for pointing out I have a huge ass, or I might never have noticed it on my own - good thing I had someone to let me in on the truth."

C'mon, dude.

This is what's called "concern trolling." A judgment or personal attack disguised as heartfelt worry is still a judgment or personal attack.

It's not your job to police a stranger's health. And you can't judge the relative health of someone based entirely on their outward physical appearance. A thin person is not automatically healthy, just as a fat person is not automatically unhealthy.

Quote:
And I agree Zombie, Ann's voice is great.
Yes, it is. And it's just as good now as it was when she was starving herself to fit someone else's standard of beauty.

I'm not yelling at you or anything, but I would like to ask that you please consider your motives for saying things like this. Why do you REALLY care so much about what she looks like?

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Saying "couldn't they at least have a dietician or someone make sure they have the right food to eat" is incredibly offensive. It implies that fat people are fat because they somehow don't "know any better," and therefore need someone to tell them what to do with their own bodies.

I'm not yelling at you or anything, but I would like to ask that you please consider your motives for saying things like this. Why do you REALLY care so much about what she looks like?
The reason I mentioned a dietician was because "stars" have the money
(or should have) for someone to take care of them in that way. Of course
over eating is not the only cause, but it usually plays a significant
role.

And to relate to you saying I implied that "fat people are fat because somehow
they don't know any better and need someone to tell them..." Well sometimes
when it comes to stars THEY DO NEED SOMONE TO TELL THEM. The reason I
bring up Elvis in this thread is because he didn't have people around him to tell
him the truth. His people hid the bad reviews he got in the last few years of his
life. Did Elvis know he was in trouble? I'm sure he did, but he seemed obilvious
to just how bad it was (had he a realistic view of himself, he never would have
agreed to the last TV special in '77).

And I do care what you and Buttercookie think. Very few of my post are harsh
on people (stars). And a few of my best friends in real life are overweight. And
one of them can at least blame his love of food for the problem. Sometimes you
just have to back away from the table. Maybe that third helping of pie isn't good
for whomever.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
Not long ago, I attended a concert by Jimmy Webb. He brought up all the amazing artists he has written for. He then began to tell us about Linda Ronstadt, and how her health was failing....how she had began to struggle with her weight and, being ripped in the press, made the decision to have some sort of gastric bypass, which then lead to the many health issues she has struggled with and continues to endure to this day. He was about in tears as he relayed the phone call he received the night prior with the disturbing news that she might not make it through the recent issues.
That's stinking sad news. I haven't really kept up with Linda, even though
I'm a big fan of her late 70's and early 80's work.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ditto to every single thing Zombie said.

Quote:
The reason I mentioned a dietician was because "stars" have the money
(or should have) for someone to take care of them in that way. Of course
over eating is not the only cause, but it usually plays a significant
role.

And to relate to you saying I implied that "fat people are fat because somehow
they don't know any better and need someone to tell them..." Well sometimes
when it comes to stars THEY DO NEED SOMONE TO TELL THEM. The reason I
bring up Elvis in this thread is because he didn't have people around him to tell
him the truth. His people hid the bad reviews he got in the last few years of his
life. Did Elvis know he was in trouble? I'm sure he did, but he seemed obilvious
to just how bad it was (had he a realistic view of himself, he never would have
agreed to the last TV special in '77).

And I do care what you and Buttercookie think. Very few of my post are harsh
on people (stars). And a few of my best friends in real life are overweight. And
one of them can at least blame his love of food for the problem. Sometimes you
just have to back away from the table. Maybe that third helping of pie isn't good
for whomever.
How nice for your overweight best friends to have such a supportive and non judgmental friend. Are you serious when you say this? From where I sit, I see lots of folks struggling with a few lbs (or ten or twenty...). Someone who is significantly overweight is not necessary going to be able to "back away from the table." Life is not black and white and things are not always so simple.

The fact that you mentioned it to begin with and then are trying to back peddle out of the situation is what gets me. When I see an overweight person in a belly shirt, I sometimes wish I could offer my advice, especially if it's a young girl. But then, I kind of feel that way about belly shirts on ANYONE, for that matter. I haven't seen the performance you are referring to, but I am thinking that whatever Ann Wilson was wearing, it was not obscene or inappropriate.

You have every right to have issues with other people's appearance- just be prepared for the backlash and own up to it.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's stinking sad news. I haven't really kept up with Linda, even though
I'm a big fan of her late 70's and early 80's work.
she seems to be doing better; having done some recent public work here http://sanjosemariachifestival.com/index.php

let's hope this continues.

she is a very private artist; no personal website, little news, etc. This fansite is where one can find news... http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/