User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by all the same
Golden Girls tackled some issues on their show. Remember Dorothy's lesbian friend who came to stay with them. She fell in love with Rose. For the time, that was really ground breaking material. It's tame by today's standards, but that was some risky stuff for a popular sitcom to address.
Golden Girls was pretty groundbreaking by standards of the 80s, or so I'm told.... it's not every day you watch old women sit around chowing down on cheesecake and talking about their sex lives.

I remember they did an episode on suicide too, when a friend of Sophia's wanted to take pills and kill herself. That was probably pretty eye-popping for Saturday night prime-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark
It's seen in the States, too, I believe... though I couldn't tell you where...
They've actually got a sort of "revival" of the original Degrassi on the air now, called "Degrassi: The Next Generation". It's basically same stories, but for a new generation of kids. Spike, Snake and Joey are all still on, but this time they're the adults, lol.

Last edited by Wild_Heart03; 07-20-2005 at 04:16 AM..
Old 07-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I didn't love the Italy episode. Like most shows that take trips, it seemed sappy & gimmicky to me.
But Robert's new girlfriend was something.

- Jake

Oooh Stephanya or whatever Nah - I really like Amy - esp. for Robert!

I just saw the family photo ep last night - Marie is something else.

I still don't understand why they didn't take one Barone picture then one with everyone - it could have solved it all - of course then there wouldn't have been a half-hour of histerics in between
Old 07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
Kids In The Hall was tacky sketch comedy from a bunch of Canadians at its finest. In fact, one of the stars of that show went on to become a regular on SNL (Mark McKinney).
Another ex-Kid In The Hall...Dave Foley...starred in the NBC sitcom NewsRadio with Phil Hartman, Andy Dick, (Office Space's) Stephen Root, (ER's) Maura Tierney, (CSI Miami's) Khandi Alexander, (Three Sisters') Vicki Lewis, & Joe Rogan.

And, now his career has just gone through the roof with his host job on Celebrity Poker.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
It was a drama, I presume?

- Jake
Doh! Pretty important omission on my part. Oops. It was actually an afterschool-type show for kids. I'd say the target audience was... 10-15 years old maybe? But it developed a massive following, and kids who watched when they were 10 or 11 were still watching into their 20s. I never did watch it, but my sister did - and she was obsessed. (I bet she STILL watches it! She's in her early 30s).

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna

I still don't understand why they didn't take one Barone picture then one with everyone - it could have solved it all - of course then there wouldn't have been a half-hour of histerics in between
I watched it too -- "this background is blue -- do I have time to switch my stole?"

"Mom's here!" (wheels her in the chair)
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I watched it too -- "this background is blue -- do I have time to switch my stole?"

"maybe I'll just wear the blue"

It's not one of my favorite eps - but eh - I enjoy it anyway - I love watching Raymond during my dinner
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
And, now his career has just gone through the roof with his host job on Celebrity Poker.
Oh man, I know...I saw him on that and thought "wtf are you doing??" Apparently, pickins' are slim for him at this time.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"maybe I'll just wear the blue"

It's not one of my favorite eps - but eh - I enjoy it anyway - I love watching Raymond during my dinner
Me too, last nite was a rerun of the episode where Ray gets "power" over Deb by refusing when she asks for sex. Of course she finds out he is doing this deliberately and then they both hold out for almost a month. One night they get into bed wearing satin, Ray too, and he is just as rediculous as his wife is sexy. Funny funny episode!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark
The holy grail of Canadian TV. Started as The Kids of Degrassi Street - and went on for eons through Degrassi Junior High, Degrassi High, the kids of Degrassi, and Degrassi: the Next Generation. Did I miss one? seriously, it's been around for almost 20 years, I think...

They tackled everything from abortion, to single mom-hood, drugs, sex, etc etc etc. Everything kids go through, they did it. No candy-coating. Right in your face. Hugely popular. It's seen in the States, too, I believe... though I couldn't tell you where...

You saw it in Buffalo, sister! DeGrassi Junior High kicked ass! When Spike got pregnant? WOW - scandal! LOVED that show.

BTW, Cat, not groundbreaking at ALL, but do you remember that game show Just Like Mom? Any other Canadians remember? People look at me like I'm nuts when I mention it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Me too, last nite was a rerun of the episode where Ray gets "power" over Deb by refusing when she asks for sex. Of course she finds out he is doing this deliberately and then they both hold out for almost a month. One night they get into bed wearing satin, Ray too, and he is just as rediculous as his wife is sexy. Funny funny episode!

I've actually never seen that one!!!

I Love catching the occasional episode I've never seen - the other day I caught one that was a flashback of how Debra and Ray met - It was SO CUTE! I really liked it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I agree about the pic, but the writers often reach for the ridiculous. I never understood why Robert never told anyone that Amy's brother was trying to sabotage the wedding. Marie would have cleaned his clock.

- Jake
Old 07-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

No, as I said, that's how I learned that pazhmina word (but not the spelling). Stole I knew.

- Jake
Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree about the pic, but the writers often reach for the ridiculous. I never understood why Robert never told anyone that Amy's brother was trying to sabotage the wedding. Marie would have cleaned his clock.

- Jake

Oh I know - it just gets frustrating sometimes. And that's another thing - Amy's brother...usually I HATE Chris Elliot - but in that role I can actually tolerate him...him and Miss Puss
Old 07-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh I know - it just gets frustrating sometimes. And that's another thing - Amy's brother...usually I HATE Chris Elliot - but in that role I can actually tolerate him...him and Miss Puss
He's hysterical in that role, in a disgusting way. I hate her brother so much, in that way the character is great. Everything with that show is over the top. Its always good for a laugh. I wish I could try Marie's cooking just once. Omigod, the one where they get kicked out of the elders community? Priceless.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everybody Loves Raymond is played for 2 hours on Wednesday nights on TBS here in Boston! Get your Tivos ready!