Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My local wildlife centre belongs to the Wildlife Trust and they are particularly concerned about Brexit. The EU has provided strong legislation and invested in many practical projects that have reduced the rate of wildlife loses, and begun to reverse the fortunes of some of our wildlife.
http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/EU-Ref

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rexit#comments
EU legislation is predominantly regulatory and standard setting – think of mandatory emissions standards for cars, toy safety, regulation of chemicals, food, medicines. But it also creates substantive protections for consumers, businesses, workers and the environment – imagine a system without guarantees of parental leave, or non-discrimination. EU law takes two main forms: directives, which the UK must implement through legislation passed by parliament; and regulations, which are directly applicable in UK law without the need for any implementing legislation.

Last edited by MoonSister75; 07-08-2016 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: added a link
Old 07-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dear MoonSister of West Wales,
thanks for your many enlightening articles on Brexit.

I did read one on "Ignore the prophets of doom Brexit will be good for Britain" by Simon Jenkins of The Guardian on Wednesday 6th.....(sorry I don't know how to do the link.)

It did cheer me up a little , re Brexit...that is....Have a read, see what you think.
Sue
Old 07-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

​Hi Sue

I'm glad you appreciate them. I've just been posting those that I've found particularly interesting (mostly pro-EU I realise) - like the 94 year old war veteran taking his case to the UN human rights commission

Here is the one that you mention. I think I did scan through it on Wednesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ubble#comments

Yes I agree our politics did need a shake up, and this is certainly one of times. I just keep reminding myself that good things will come of this - it can be a struggle to keep this attitude up every day, but I am trying

David Cameron resigning as PM and Nigel Farage resigning (for now at least) 2 things I need to be grateful for
Old 07-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

and Sue... if you want to post a link, I just highlight the link in the address bar and then cut and paste onto here (if that makes sense)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
and Sue... if you want to post a link, I just highlight the link in the address bar and then cut and paste onto here (if that makes sense)
Thanks, next good article I shall be posting away....again thanks for that.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nigel Farage, clearly not a fan of Theresa May, and doing his best in this radio show to convince the listeners that she's not a good candidate for PM. He doesn't seem very pleased about the direction in which the Conservative elections are heading.

I've only watched 20mins as I don't want to spend too much of my life listening to him speak.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/the-nigel-farag...-sunday-133433
Old 07-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

​So we have a new Prime Minister - Theresa May. I'm pleased that a leadership campaign didn't run for 2 months, and I think she was by far the best choice out of the 5 candidates.

I'm sure most people will be pleased that she is offering some kind of stability in a chaotic few weeks

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...from-the-abyss
Old 07-13-2016, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree, she is by far the best, of a bad lot.. I think she will steady a listing ship....(Tho' not yet sunk)
I read the European headlines, in the Guardian, yesterday and on the whole they were favourable to Mrs May.
I like her dress sense too especially her kitten heels..
Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I agree, she is by far the best, of a bad lot..
yes I wanted to say that myself (then held back due to feeling that I've moaned a lot in this thread already)

I also like her dress sense and shoes.

Well, I guess we have to see what happens next, anything could happen in this crazy country we seem to be living in.

Also, I'm glad Jeremy Corbyn is standing strong against the MPs that are trying to kick him out as leader. A much fairer way to deal with the dispute is to have an election
Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm starting to warm to Theresa May. Things feel different this time. I think the UK is going to go from strength to strength. I'm happy about David Davis, Boris Johnson and Liam Fox. That's a great team and a step in the right direction. I'm not keen on Amber Rudd as Home Secretary. I guess we should give her the benefit of the doubt at the moment. At least Larry is staying
Old 07-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess Theresa May has a good sense of humour

'Maybe the Brits are just having us on': the world reacts to Boris Johnson as foreign minister

International community greets news of former London mayor’s big appointment with a mixture of fear, bemusement and panic

Bonnie Malkin, Philip Oltermann in Berlin and Tom Phillips in Beijing

Thursday 14 July 2016 04.36 BST Last modified on Thursday 14 July 2016 10.10 BST

The world of politics, diplomacy and celebrity has reacted with a mixture of amusement and horror to the news that Boris Johnson has been appointed Britain’s new foreign secretary.

Johnson himself said he was “excited” to take up the new role , which will involve travelling the globe, meeting foreign leaders and representing Britain on the international stage.

However, his track record when it comes to interacting with other cultures is patchy to say the least, and politicians around the world will no doubt be intrigued by the prospect of working with a man who once wrote a poem about the Turkish president having sex with a goat.

In the US, the official reaction was one of carefully restrained laughter.

When State Department spokesman Mark Toner heard the news, he struggled to keep a straight face – a broad smile breaking out more than once – before saying the US “looked forward” to working with Johnson.

(Even Cher has something to say about it... rest of the article here...)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ister#comments
Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, she's certainly gutsy...talk about "Night of the Long knives"..
And yes she must have a keen sense of humour....Boris as FS..!!!!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Well, she's certainly gutsy...talk about "Night of the Long knives"..
An interesting analogy...
and something to ponder on....
Old 07-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Theresa May is visiting Scotland today to meet Nicola Sturgeon. It will be interesting to see how she attempts to deal with issue of Scotland voting to stay in the EU....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Finance and Constitution Minister Derek McKay said he hoped it was the start of a "constructive relationship based on mutual respect" rather than the Scottish government being "lectured at".

He goes on to say that the UK's decision to leave the EU - which was opposed by the majority of people in Scotland - puts Scotland's "vital" commercial, employment, educational and cultural interests at risk and the Scottish government must be able to engage fully in the Brexit talks to protect its distinct links with Europe.

It is a Conservative government which has put us into this position, so the onus is now on them to prove that our interests can be protected within the UK – because the fact is that the EU referendum has placed a very big question mark over that. Warm words about a 'special Union' are simply not enough – a Union that ignores our wishes and drags us out of EU against our democratic will would not be very special.”

This was interesting too.....

Letwin: UK does not have its own trade negotiators

Mr Letwin, who was one of David Cameron's chief lieutenants for six years, was briefly put in charge of preparing the UK for Brexit after last month's referendum result.

He has some interesting thoughts about how well the equipped the UK is for the task, defending the government against accusations that it was totally unprepared for a Brexit vote.

The focus of the pre-referendum contingency planning and in the days after the vote was on stabilising the markets, on which he says George Osborne and Mark Carney did a great job.

As for the task ahead, he believes that he has "begun the groundwork" for his successor David Davis by putting a team of "crack civil servants" together in the Cabinet Office to work through some of the logisitical changes, who will now transfer to the new Brexit department.

While he expects the "brightest and the best" mandarins in the country to turn their attention to getting the best deal for the UK from leaving the EU, he acknowledges that the UK is not so well stocked when it comes to its own trade negotiators.

Putting in bluntly, he says Mr Davis and new International Trade Secretary Liam Fox will have to "hire some".

We do not have trade negotiations because trade negotiations have been going on in the EU...The trade negotiators who are Brits are basically at the moment working for the EU. (There are) quite a number but they are employed there. It is up to them whether they are recruited into Whitehall.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad that the US stocks are coming back after Brexit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0ZE16V

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Closed Thread