The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going to have to listen to the album again all the way through, but the two songs that stand out are When She Comes Down and Rock Away Blind. When She Comes Down has the potential to get very high on my personal list of all-time favorite songs.

Matt
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Nico and Bee, I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this board, but no I don't think Lindsey's album is better than Stevie's. I love them both, and to me, they really aren't comparable. Apples and oranges, I like both fruits, thank you very much!
I would not say that I like Lindsey's album better than Stevie's either. Soundwise, I'm taking music from all 3 with me to a deserted island.

However, when it comes to SWS and IYD, since Lindsey -- for better or worse -- wrote, produced, arranged, played and sang everything himself, my estimation of the two definitely falls into different categories and always has. I wouldn't call it apples and oranges, exactly. Maybe coconut and banana.

Michele
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^
Do coconut and banana blend well together?

I see what you're saying, and I also hold Lindsey to a higher standard. I'm just so happy with (and surprised, yeah I'll admit it) of how good Stevie's album is.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]

But aside from that negative trait, as a person I do like her very much. Probably because she reminds me so much of myself. That does sound a little conceited I suppose, but we're just as flighty, neurotic and altogether ditsy as each other.
Yes, find many of her ways quite endearing. I can also see how you can relate to her, as you seem sort of an emotional/artistic type. Believe it or not, I have my inner Stevie as well. Many of her lyrics, not all but many, always touch me in that highly romantic way that she encapsulates so perfectly. Plus, her 1970's style rocked.

Quote:
I am so glad that you gave Go Insane another try. As is Law And Order, it is certainly an acquired taste. But once you acquire it it's an opinion that tends to grow stronger as time goes on. Whenever I listen to the album I always find something new to love that I never quite noticed before. It's like when I meditate to classical music. I hear new notes and small undertones of instrument I never got before. When I love music enough, I do tend to go into a meditative state, when allowed to focus my attention on it fully, when listening. But then again, I also tend to channel the emotion of the person performing too, lol. Probably why I cried my way through my first listening of Underground, Down On Rodeo and Wait For You hehe.
This is all so true. I think I opened a new sound wave in being when I got turned into Lindsey's solo music. It was [i]him/i] who opened the door to Mac for me. For, although I was very aware of Stevie and her presence, she didn't really draw me in. It was seeing LB on "Live in Boston" and what a crazy madman he was. Then I started with his solo stuff and BAM! But Go Insane is a very cathartic album in so many ways and I really got drawn into that side of it. Some people love it for the crazy sound, others for the perfect sequence (yes I had to throw that part in), but I just really adore the emotional expression throughout the most, and the music. Damn great album.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No comparisons. They are two completely different solo artists. Period. I won't even go there. I'm proud of both of them. And, for that matter, I'm super-proud of Stevie for releasing a new CD after 10 years, when she really didn't plan on doing one again. And for going forth and touring without dumping more than one song from the setlist. That's a HUGE thing for her because I don't think she is as daring as Lindsey, as an artist/painter/machine operator.

Getting back on topic, I kind of like that strange little iTunes song. The first half minute, I was kind of like WTF? (Much the same reaction as I had to GoS-the song). And, then it grew on me instantly. Fun stuff.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^

I see what you're saying, and I also hold Lindsey to a higher standard. I'm just so happy with (and surprised, yeah I'll admit it) of how good Stevie's album is.
Well, I'm surprised at how LB's album somehow brought the fangirl out of me again. He never fails to amaze me, but then he sort of amazes me to higher degrees than I thought possible a lot, and this is a shining example.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post

Getting back on topic, I kind of like that strange little iTunes song. The first half minute, I was kind of like WTF? (Much the same reaction as I had to GoS-the song). And, then it grew on me instantly. Fun stuff.
It is a fun song! I admit that the lyrics are a little "meh" but they work. I'm happy about all these bonus songs he had up his sleeve man...good idea LB!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^

And it depends on what you're in the mood for. Even Lindsey's "light" songs have a certain density and complexity. There are so many ways you can break them down.

But I've always liked Stevie's music. I wouldn't say she brought me into Fleetwood Mac, but I will say that Sara was the first song that made me inquire more about the band, want to buy something. Of course, I don't attribute Sara to just Stevie.

Michele
Old 09-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I need more time before I do some polls (Lindsey vs Stevie) and lists (rankings), but, for right now, I'd say Stevie's album wins. I think it's (even) richer and more satisfying. But, wow!, what a competition!!! And, if I had to choose, "When She Comes Down" and "End of Time" are my favorite tracks.

But I'm heartbroken because I believe we could have had the Fleetwood Mac double album of my dreams this year. (Another future thread topic)

I cawn't believe I'm going to say this BUT, I can't wait for Dave Stewart to produce a Mac album!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
It is a fun song! I admit that the lyrics are a little "meh" but they work. I'm happy about all these bonus songs he had up his sleeve man...good idea LB!
I'd prefer they were b-sides.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 09-06-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

I'd prefer they were b-sides.
Yeah, but do they even do b-sides anymore? The entire concept of album and single releases has changed drastically, even from when I was a young girl. I can't even understand it much anymore but I was speaking to a couple of hipster teens the other day- huge music fans. And I mentioned something to them about how b-sides of singles are sometimes better than the a-sides and they were just all "B-what? We just download stuff and who cares?"

Uhhhh...

Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Yeah, but do they even do b-sides anymore? The entire concept of album and single releases has changed drastically, even from when I was a young girl. I can't even understand it much anymore but I was speaking to a couple of hipster teens the other day- huge music fans. And I mentioned something to them about how b-sides of singles are sometimes better than the a-sides and they were just all "B-what? We just download stuff and who cares?"

Uhhhh...
Well his audience knows that b-sides are. And many of my favorite artists still do b-side on all their singles (e.g., Morrissey, Pet Shop Boys).

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really pleased. I didn't really let myself get spoiled prior to the release, I watched one song on YouTube maybe twice and that was it, so the whole thing, aside from "Seeds We Sow", was new to me. I really, really love "In Our Own Time" and "Rock Away Blind", those are the stand out tracks at the moment. But I'm excited by how much I love it on a first listen. It reaches right in and grabs and is rather moving at times, which I wasn't really expecting. I'm excited to spend more time with it!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Well his audience knows that b-sides are. And many of my favorite artists still do b-side on all their singles (e.g., Morrissey, Pet Shop Boys).
True. But still, if they are bonuses on an mp3 album does it make much of a difference? I understand completely the nature of single a/b sides. I am a HUGE music connoisseur and I value them. But I think I'm trying to see it from the other perspective as well. I'm not saying these hipster kids are the basis of all modern-day music-buying knowledge, but I guess the time has come for me to sort of "get" that it's just not the same as it used to be.

In other words: the bonus stuff on LB's album doesn't really bother me. I don't mind getting any new LB songs, in any form I must attain them through.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't understand. How do you make a b-side these days? What is it on other the side of?

Michele
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't understand. How do you make a b-side these days? What is it on other the side of?

Michele
I guess some artists still release singles with b-sides. That's what TrueFaith is wishing LB did with the bonuses, and I agree that it is a very artistic and extremely edgy (hey, for this day and age anyone who wants to release a single with an A-side or B-side is definitely going against the grain). But I am just happy to have these songs in my possession so quickly and have pretty much resolved myself to the fact that a/b sides are an antiquity that doesn't serve as much of a purpose as it once did. Just my opinion.