User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
All I can say is thank you for that. What else can we say other than the general public is just ignorant about this issue?

Hillary
You're welcome. I think their own bigotry and disdain of "queers" only inhibit them from grasping the full definition of love. And they're the ones that lose out.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
That was Dan Rather.

The argument that "they hate us because of our freedoms" is so insulting and simplistic that it serves no purpose but to toot America's own horn. It's not a statement that is supported by facts, yet people choose to believe it. Tells you a lot about people, though.
While I disagree with the statement in general, in nuance, it has some merit. They see our freedoms and the freedoms of our women as an insult and against Allah. I think they are scared that if these freedoms spread to their country, it will cause their religious dominance to end. This can be seen in the text of speeches over the last few years and they, like we do to them, refer to the West as Godless. So, there is an ounce of truth to that statement about jealousy.

CAVEAT: I am not REPEAT NOT saying they are running aroung jealous of us; that is just silly.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
While I wholly disagree with this, I will say one thing about it. For a long time, those in other countries did not like us because of what we were doing, especially after 9/11. That being said, they never totally disliked us because the sense was that the American people, by and large, didn't totally support the ideals of this administration (religious issues, moral issues, etc.). That has completely changed now. Those issues had a large part in Bush getting re-elected and now people in foreign countries are now realizing exactly how radical people in this country are; it scares them. And it isn't pretty. It's bad enough that they can't stand us because of our foreign policies, but this just adds insult to injury.
I'm in one of those other Countries and I can honestly say that Americans haven't been considered till now distant from Bush's ideas, we perceive people like Michael Moore as exceptions to the rule. Our media believed Bush would have won again. So now the general feeling in our public opinion is disappointment because he would be around for other four years. It means for us that the situation in Middle East can only get worse, our troops won't come back home soon and elections in Iraq would be very unlikely to happen. The link among American patriotism and a radical concept of religion isn't seen as a novelty, but as a confirmation.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 11-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
On the other side of that, why is it illegal to destroy a bald eagle egg, but OK to destroy a human fetus? At any rate, you obviously see a difference between killing humans and killing animals, and value human life over animal life, yet you can't understand why Christians make the same distinction? That puzzles me.

The difference between death penalty and abortion is one of innocence. If one truly believes life begins at conception, which I recognize not all people do, wouldn't you at least in theory agree it is more heinous to kill a baby than a murderer, and see the difference between the two? Put yourself in the shoes of one who believes life begins at conception and I think you'll understand the distinction we make, even if you disagree.

I'm not exactly into guns, but I understand the need for them in cases of self-defense, which again I define differently from murder. Doesn't a victim have a right to defend him/herself? If someone was trying to kill you, and you had to kill them to save yourself, I certainly wouldn't call you a murderer!

I believe the war had good results. War is sometimes necessary. There are pacifist Christians, and I understand their moral objection, but as I said in an earlier posts, I do not classify war as murder.

I realize you don't believe this, but the Bible is considered by Christians to be divinely inspired. That's why we can overlook that.

The Bible condemns human sacrifices as abhorrent, Johnny. If you're referring to the Abraham story, God did not actually desire the sacrifice, remember? Also, many of the older laws such as the one you mentioned were very practical in an age rampant with disease.

I hope that helps you to understand to some degree why I do not consider myself a gleeful hypocrite, although it may not change your judgment on the matter.
PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE SINGLE AND AVAILABLE!

~Alex

Old 11-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdarkwing
PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE SINGLE AND AVAILABLE!

~Alex

Well, I cannot comment on that, but I can tell ya she is a great person AND she is smokin' hot in a pair of Stevie boots

Old 11-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
And if you ask them about Vietnam? Will they remember the other mob, or will they tell you it was 60 000?
People are so hilariously "patriotic" these days that they'd probably try to convince me that we won Vietnam.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
People are so hilariously "patriotic" these days that they'd probably try to convince me that we won Vietnam.

I think that most Americans have forgotten Vietnam or at least and sadly resigned themselves to this "that is just the way the world works" mentality. I know people who were injured or who lost family in Nam that are okay with the lies about going to Iraq. They do not care that Bush flat out lied to get his war. It makes no sense to me. THEN these same people despise Kerry for daring to speak out aginst Nam, when they reasily admit Nam was a mistake. For the life of me, I wil lnever get it.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wal Mart bans everything.

Have you picked up America: The Book? I almost choked when I saw the nude Supreme Court Justices. And the chapter on the media is priceless. "Geraldo Rivera...is an asshole."

YES!! I got a two-fer: America The Book and Pictures of Famous Naked People. Jon Stewart and Co. are geniuses.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
YES!! I got a two-fer: America The Book and Pictures of Famous Naked People. Jon Stewart and Co. are geniuses.
LOVE Naked People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
It's closed but I just have to respond to this Dissention quote from the other thread:

Now that's just wrong. How about you hope Bush doesn an AMAZING job in his second term and he has a catharthis and is greatful that he actually won this election. I realize that's not very like;ly but why can't we HOPE for that, instead of HOPIJNG for things to get worse so people realize their mistake. Why not HOPE Bush does a great job.
"Dream on silly dreamer"....

Or how about, "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice....can't get fooled again!" --Dubbya

What an idiot. Bush, not you Hawkeye.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Dream on silly dreamer"....

Or how about, "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice....can't get fooled again!" --Dubbya

What an idiot. Bush, not you Hawkeye.
That quote isn't as good in print, it has to be seen to be believed.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Fool me once...shame on you
Fool me twice....er, uh...won't get fooled again
Looks like we're on the same wavelength.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That quote isn't as good in print, it has to be seen to be believed.
You're right, but it's so appropos, especially coming from the horse ass's mouth!!
Old 11-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I'm not against hunting for food either. Like I said, I eat meat, so I don't have room to talk. I just can't reconcile the notion of being vehemently pro-life and, yet, having no problems with the taking of the life of another of God's creatures.
Including those who die in unjust wars....

Where's the moral outrage for that?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Looks like we're on the same wavelength.
Oh yeah.