User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
Also, I got the soundtrack and have listened to it a number of times. It is great. Of course the theme is repeated in a number of different versions throughout and I have to skip it. It makes me too sad. But the other music is fun. There is unfortunately a Rufus Wainright song, and his voice drives me straight up a wall. But, I am able to listen to it at least. He seems to have downplayed his affectation a shade, so he doesn't sound so friggin fey and mannered.

The Emmylou song is really a corker too. And the Steve Earle song is the bomb.
Oh man, I love the soundtrack. Got it before Christmas and it's great. Wish it was without the Earle and Ronstadt songs, though, they completely kill the flow of it.

Emmylou's song slayed me when I first heard it. The way she sings "I know" makes the entire song. It's haunting. Too bad it was disqualified for the Oscars.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 01-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofnothing
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Umm, that was pretty much me at 5 or 6.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I saw it and I saw it alone, which was a little disconcerting even though I often go to the movies alone.

It was really good if not great and Heath L. should win the Oscar for that performance - the scene where he falls to his knees after they first part ways after herding on BB Mountain - sheebus. Ditto for the final fight scene when he blames Jack for the way his life turned out. What a great movie.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It's haunting. Too bad it was disqualified for the Oscars.

Why was it DQ'd?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Why was it DQ'd?
It didn't meet the 30 second time requirement. The song was only heard on the radio in one scene for under 30 seconds. A dirty shame because it's one helluva tune. Surely they could have worked it into the credits to get it qualified. I would have splooged to see Emmylou perform it at the Oscars.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have yet to see this...I doubt it comes to Jackson, but I'm hoping it does. If not, I'll have to hunt down a bootleg.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It didn't meet the 30 second time requirement. The song was only heard on the radio in one scene for under 30 seconds. A dirty shame because it's one helluva tune. Surely they could have worked it into the credits to get it qualified. I would have splooged to see Emmylou perform it at the Oscars.

How stupid of them not to eek out another couple of seconds.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Well, I saw it and I saw it alone, which was a little disconcerting even though I often go to the movies alone.

It was really good if not great and Heath L. should win the Oscar for that performance - the scene where he falls to his knees after they first part ways after herding on BB Mountain - sheebus. Ditto for the final fight scene when he blames Jack for the way his life turned out. What a great movie.
It is going to do very well. Already making more money than 'Munich' on half the screens. I think it will make it to every market soon, simply because of all the awards and the juggernaut of the box office.

The reactions I have heard are odd to say the least. People are either very moved or bored. A lot of gay guys are extremely blase about it. At least the ones under 35. I think people are expecting orgies, discos, or drugs. None of this is a surprise to me, actually. It simply confirms to me what I have felt about the "gay community" for years and why I am not a part of it.

Nonetheless, it is enormously important that the film is becoming such a success. The effects of it are going to creep around for years, culturally and artistically. It isn't going to change homos, it is going to open the eyes of everyone else. And frankly, I didn't see a lot of gay people at the shows I have been to. Not surprising. I don't think most gay men would know real love between two men if it hit them in the face like a club. They see this and think "Whatever." Sad state of affairs. We have been fed garbage for so long we don't know the real thing when it is served to us.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think most gay men would know real love between two men if it hit them in the face like a club. They see this and think "Whatever." Sad state of affairs. We have been fed garbage for so long we don't know the real thing when it is served to us.
Amen!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It simply confirms to me what I have felt about the "gay community" for years and why I am not a part of it.
I'd actually like to chat with you sometime about the "gay community" and more of your thoughts on it.
When I came out... somewhat "late in life," I guess, at 28... some well-intentioned gay friends started to tell me how I should style my hair, what clothes I should start buying, what kind of music I should be listening to, even what kind of cologne and UNDERWEAR I should wear. The conformity amazed me. What happened to individuality? I always thought that the gay community celebrated being unique, but I quickly realized I was wrong.

But maybe it's a "safety in numbers" kind of thing, and helps some guys feel like they "fit in."
Myself, I'd rather not fit in, if it means having to give up who I am... and being true to myself was the whole reason I came out in the first place!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
what kind of music I should be listening to
So me listening to Sara Groves is out...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
So me listening to Sara Groves is out...
I think you listening to Mariah balances that out though.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind

He's very good but it wouldn't be right if the Oscar went to him instead of David Strathairn, Philip Seymour Hoffman or even Joaquin Phoenix. It would have written "politically correct" all over.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 01-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
He's very good but it wouldn't be right if the Oscar went to him instead of David Strathairn, Philip Seymour Hoffman or even Joaquin Phoenix. It would have written "politically correct" all over.

Romy
Fine with me. I prefer his performance over those of the actors you listed.