The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This album has been a real surprise to me, in a good way.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I know! But this album has just been so gorgeous and perfect to me that I fear I might fangirl through the whole review. I don't want to sound like an over-enthused teenybopper on that type of review, so I need to take a breath and sort of think logically/objectively and put down my thoughts. I'll probably share the review on here as well. I'm not gonna lie, I suck at reviews because I always feel compelled to review things I seriously love and, well, you can guess how my reviews end up sounding.
Because I reviewed as I listened, I unfortunately sounded very much like an over-enthused teeny bopper. Oh well. I regret nothing! XD
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Because I reviewed as I listened, I unfortunately sounded very much like an over-enthused teeny bopper. Oh well. I regret nothing! XD
Please. You shouldn't regret your very expressive and well-done review. I guess if something is this great, being over-enthusiastic over it does attract people. Maybe I shouldn't give a damn how I look to the Amazon crowd and just go for it.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah nvmd, just reset my iTunes pass and bought it. Should have made the album!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Please. You shouldn't regret your very expressive and well-done review. I guess if something is this great, being over-enthusiastic over it does attract people. Maybe I shouldn't give a damn how I look to the Amazon crowd and just go for it.

Go for it! Nothing beats enthusiasm!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well......after 3 listens to this thing. I can say........He does it again Seriously......he just keeps coming out with winners. Very beautiful record. On my first listen, Illumination jumped out me, What a kooky fun infectious song. The chorus is so catchy. The first time I heard When she comes Down. I swear I swooned Perfect ballad. Other tracks I like are End of Time, which has a VERY Law and Order, Trouble Type vibe.

Rock away blind, as Louie said is just utter perfection, Beats out Bel Air Rain for me. Really this album is close to perfect. I say close because I'm not big fan of One Take......It's sounds like Go Insane era Linds.....and I hate GI. She Smiled Sweetly is a little too breathy here for me.

Basically I was not disappointed...Top notch, As expected. Is it better then Cradle...no. It's tied at number 2 for me with GOS. I'm Proud of you Lindsey. Made me remember that In your Dreams was just a detour to this album for me.

Oh and nice and concise at 41 minutes And change. Which as you all know by now. Big plus for me.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am actually quite surprised by this album! Anyone else feel One Take could have fit on Tango in the Night?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Did I mention this is a f'ing great album?

I'm letting go of what might have been and recognizing this as a ravishing testament to one man's mastery of two elements of music: melody (which rides the groove of my emotions) and the guitar (which is like an extension of his psyche).

My ONLY complaint is the last line of "One Take." I think I'll send him a copy of Barthes' Mythologies.

For a punk corrective, I direct y'all to X's "The-Have-Nots" from their masterpiece album Under the Big Black Sun.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 09-06-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Does anybody else feel as though, in the contest between Lindsey and Stevie's new releases, Lindsey well and truly kicked Stevie's bum? As much as I love Stevie as a person, her music more often than not disappoints me. In Your Dreams definitely following the trend. I'm not saying I don't like any of her music, because she has created some beautiful songs in her time. But Lindsey is just far more consistent than she is. Sometimes I get the feeling that Stevie releases music for the sake of it. But Lindsey doesn't release music unless he's sure of it's great quality, and thus album is proof of that.

I regret picking favourites at the beginning, because I love them all. Though Stars Are Crazy, When She Comes Down, One Take, Illumination and That's The Way Love Goes are the stick out songs for me. Although I agree that it isn't quite his best (though I seem to be on my own in my deep love for Go Insane), it is very very close.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Okay, my 20-something impression. LOL

I don't know exactly how many times I've listened to the album, but it's more than once or twice. Plus, listening the other night when I was dead dog tired, not the greatest idea.

I'm enjoying the crazy Seeds We Sow (electric version) more, but I vastly prefer the album version. The electric version does sound like something from Go Insane era. Plus, we get an insane guitar solo with it!

I downloaded Sleeping Around the Corner about an hour ago, so I've not had much time with it, but it definitely doesn't fit with SWS. What a strange song. LOL "I'm your little Red Rover." Well, thank you for ruining my 2nd fave song EVER, whoever said that to him.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Does anybody else feel as though, in the contest between Lindsey and Stevie's new releases, Lindsey well and truly kicked Stevie's bum? As much as I love Stevie as a person, her music more often than not disappoints me. In Your Dreams definitely following the trend. I'm not saying I don't like any of her music, because she has created some beautiful songs in her time. But Lindsey is just far more consistent than she is. Sometimes I get the feeling that Stevie releases music for the sake of it. But Lindsey doesn't release music unless he's sure of it's great quality, and thus album is proof of that.

Yes yes and yes. I loved IYD. but Lindsey, IMO, wins this face off. However i'm a dyed in the wool Lindsey fan, so I'm tainted. He has been FAR more consistent then Stevie has been. Bucky hit another home run.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Um, yes. But that's probably why I just don't go on the SN board much. She started bothering me a few years back with all the disparaging LB comments she was making (when they were apparently at odds). I just felt like it wasn't necessary for her to drag him through the mud so much when he was, for the most part, quite classy and kept his mouth shut. But since then, I have forgiven her and moved on. I accept Stevie for who she is and realize that airing her dirty laundry and past affairs in public is just her thing. I'm back to feeling more mellow towards her, but I have never been a huge fan of her solo stuff. I bought In Your Dreams, even though I said I wasn't going to, because she is someone who has impressed me in the past with some of her musical endeavors. Mainly in the Mac, and mainly on Tusk...but that' neither here nor there.

In any case, I wasn't all won over by In Your Dreams but I think it's got some pretty songs on it. I love FWIW and the Vampire song, her New Orleans song, and the one that has has some references to Jane Eyre. Her solo stuff has never been a big love of mine (no pun intended). I actually love Christine Mcvie's solo efforts more than Stevie's, but I do appreciate a lot of SN's songs. Her albums just...bore me.

It's always been about LB to me. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. He is a musical genius, and his stage presence and ability to rock hard and beautifully simply enthrall me. His albums are always fascinating and, in most cases, works of art (ahem, THIS ONE). And he is also quite an enigmatic man who is somewhat of a mercurial and complex figure. He says so much and yet says very little and there's a mystery about him that is enticing. He is also a sweetheart to his fans, incredibly magnificent live, and the best guitarist I have ever seen in person. So, yeah...he's always sort of been the fire for me in my FM fandom. I can't apologize.

Quote:
I regret picking favourites at the beginning, because I love them all. Though Stars Are Crazy, When She Comes Down, One Take, Illumination and That's The Way Love Goes are the stick out songs for me. Although I agree that it isn't quite his best (though I seem to be on my own in my deep love for Go Insane), it is very very close.
I am so going to listen to Go Insane again- it's been a while- but I can never get over how my feelings for that album changed so dramatically. I hated it at first and then, after listening to it 5 times I instantly became obsessed with it. I thought it was like nothing I had ever heard. In any case, it's still amazing. But OOTC has my heart and now this one is like fighting for the biggest part of my heart with OOTC. It's such a stunning piece of work, this one.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Yes yes and yes. I loved IYD. but Lindsey, IMO, wins this face off. However i'm a dyed in the wool Lindsey fan, so I'm tainted. He has been FAR more consistent then Stevie has been. Bucky hit another home run.

Mick
I suppose we are a little biased Though at the very beginning I was a Stevie girl. She was my gateway to the Mac. But as time went on I appreciated Lindsey more and more, and Stevie less and less. I suppose I got tired of the same sort of thing from her. Lindsey's constantly changing my expectations of him.

Quote:
Um, yes. But that's probably why I just don't go on the SN board much. She started bothering me a few years back with all the disparaging LB comments she was making (when they were apparently at odds). I just felt like it wasn't necessary for her to drag him through the mud so much when he was, for the most part, quite classy and kept his mouth shut. But since then, I have forgiven her and moved on. I accept Stevie for who she is and realize that airing her dirty laundry and past affairs in public is just her thing. I'm back to feeling more mellow towards her, but I have never been a huge fan of her solo stuff. I bought In Your Dreams, even though I said I wasn't going to, because she is someone who has impressed me in the past with some of her musical endeavors. Mainly in the Mac, and mainly on Tusk...but that' neither here nor there.

In any case, I wasn't all won over by In Your Dreams but I think it's got some pretty songs on it. I love FWIW and the Vampire song, her New Orleans song, and the one that has has some references to Jane Eyre. Her solo stuff has never been a big love of mine (no pun intended). I actually love Christine Mcvie's solo efforts more than Stevie's, but I do appreciate a lot of SN's songs. Her albums just...bore me.

It's always been about LB to me. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. He is a musical genius, and his stage presence and ability to rock hard and beautifully simply enthrall me. His albums are always fascinating and, in most cases, works of art (ahem, THIS ONE). And he is also quite an enigmatic man who is somewhat of a mercurial and complex figure. He says so much and yet says very little and there's a mystery about him that is enticing. He is also a sweetheart to his fans, incredibly magnificent live, and the best guitarist I have ever seen in person. So, yeah...he's always sort of been the fire for me in my FM fandom. I can't apologize.

I am so going to listen to Go Insane again- it's been a while- but I can never get over how my feelings for that album changed so dramatically. I hated it at first and then, after listening to it 5 times I instantly became obsessed with it. I thought it was like nothing I had ever heard. In any case, it's still amazing. But OOTC has my heart and now this one is like fighting for the biggest part of my heart with OOTC. It's such a stunning piece of work, this one.
Whenever I know to expect disparaging comments against Lindsey, I tend to avoid that media, be it in an interview, written article or otherwise. I don't know why, but I do get rather wounded by them. I'm very much a fan of my rose tinted spectacles, and when I develop an opinion about somebody I admire greatly, I find it crushing to learn otherwise. I myself have never been a fan of her almost "kiss and tell" way of conducting herself. Lindsey has it right. Just keep silent and let the storm pass. It's not very classy of her to be so open about such private things. But aside from that negative trait, as a person I do like her very much. Probably because she reminds me so much of myself. That does sound a little conceited I suppose, but we're just as flighty, neurotic and altogether ditsy as each other.

I am so glad that you gave Go Insane another try. As is Law And Order, it is certainly an acquired taste. But once you acquire it it's an opinion that tends to grow stronger as time goes on. Whenever I listen to the album I always find something new to love that I never quite noticed before. It's like when I meditate to classical music. I hear new notes and small undertones of instrument I never got before. When I love music enough, I do tend to go into a meditative state, when allowed to focus my attention on it fully, when listening. But then again, I also tend to channel the emotion of the person performing too, lol. Probably why I cried my way through my first listening of Underground, Down On Rodeo and Wait For You hehe.

Last edited by Silver Springs; 09-06-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow I don't think it's popular...but...

I am in love with Stars Are Crazy. Even though he didn't write it, it's my fave as of right now, I think.

It really is impossible to choose between all these amazing songs though. It would be excruciating to try to rank these of fave to least fave right now.

Even though I don't write music, I get why Stevie says "I can't choose a favorite. They are like my children." because I'd feel like I was slighting the least fave. I can see "When She Comes Down" (not saying it's my least fave, just using as example! LOL) saying to me "Why don't you love me? Why am I not worthy?!"

Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So Amazon only shipped my CD today, sigh. However, I did download the exclusives from iTunes and Amazon. Then I remembered Spotify! Yay, I got to listen to it.

First impressions: I love Rock Away Blind and Gone Too Far. Some of the others are going to have to grow on me, e.g. One Take and the vastly different album versions of Stars and End of Time (which are my favorites of the live versions we've heard). I'm still not a big fan of all the vocal manipulation, but I don't hate it.

Nico and Bee, I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this board, but no I don't think Lindsey's album is better than Stevie's. I love them both, and to me, they really aren't comparable. Apples and oranges, I like both fruits, thank you very much!