User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
This has been a rough few months for me, physically. My newest dilemma (to go with the shingles) is a sore throat. The kind that only hurts when you swallow. I feel like there is a razor blade in the back of my throat. Home remedies anyone?
Just got over that exact same thing. Spend the majority of your life drinking tea with honey and lemon. Seriously, chug the stuff. Also, I hear gargling saltwater helps.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Registered

Quote:
This has been a rough few months for me, physically. My newest dilemma (to go with the shingles) is a sore throat. The kind that only hurts when you swallow. I feel like there is a razor blade in the back of my throat. Home remedies anyone?
You can try gargling warm salt water. Ginger tea is also good.

Or if you are not adverse to alcohol, get a shot of whiskey, add a bit of honey and lemon, gargle that, and then swallow it.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nostalgia is EVIL.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Registered

Quote:
Others will say 'Yuck' but I find this helpful with throat problems or if I ever get a bad cold- Peel at least two large onions,chop into varied sizes, some small, some large, fry them in extra-virgin olive oil, and added chopped garlic (the store bought jar of garlic is fine, use about a half a teaspoon, or more, if you can tolerate it- I'd say a full teaspoon, unless you have a sensitive stomach or hate garlic.)
After the onions are golden or light brown and the garlic is slightly browned, add a can of double-strength chicken broth, don't dilute it. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and wait about 15 minutes to eat this gooey soup. (If it's a small can of broth, use 2 cans).
It's an old Russian remedy that really works- I personally love onions and garlic, but many may not, but it gets the toxins out of your system, and if you're really sick, it gives you good relief from the physical pain. Stay home, and let it work.
The thought of eating 2 (or even 3!) large onions at one time (eat it until it's gone, even if it means having it twice in the same day) doesn't seem to go over well with many people, but mixed with the garlic and double-strength chicken broth, I think you will feel much better much faster.
Placing a warm to hot wash cloth on your throat as a compress may help ease the swallowing pain. Soaking in a steamy bath may help, unless the shingles makes it too painful for your skin.
If your throat hurts a lot right now, and you don't have time or energy or onions, ice-chips (put ice cubes in a zip lop bag, zip it, then smash it against a counter, for the chips!) should help.
Nyquil could help your throat, and make you sleep.
Tea, as someone suggested, could help.
When I was going through my w/d this past summer, my throat closed up on me, and it felt like I had fur in my throat that I couldn't get rid of, and couldn't swallow- I had to put all of my throw pillows and throw blankets, anything chenille or dust-grabbing- outside- look around the room for anything that may be irritating your throat- I know that's a different thing than what you're going through, but really, look around your house and see if there's something that could be contributing to this horrible run of bad health you're suffering. Feel well, soon. The onion and garlic soup really works, just make sure there are a LOT of onions in it, will coat your throat and help get some poisons out of your system.
Damn, Jannie. I'm so sorry for you!

Edit: I believe that the onions give a coating to your throat that alleviates the pain.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-05-2010 at 12:50 AM..
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At the moment, I feel like everyone my age is starting to get older, while I remain the same. It's a really weird feeling, at today I was a bit iffy about it. I have (wait HAD) so many friends, but I don't even recognise them anymore. *sigh* I guess that's what happens to you when you are 15

At least I have my Ledge BFFLs, the whole lot of you.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

JTIS : I'd be SCREWED in a real fire. Fire drill this morning consisted of me carrying on getting dressed while swearing at the fire alarm for a good ten minutes.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Jesus Christ, I am such a bitch.
Whew.

my tongue is bleeding I'm biting it so hard.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8rBoi View Post
Whew.

my tongue is bleeding I'm biting it so hard.
Well, you're a bit odd, aren't you?

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Registered

So I was just making the morning rounds of all the sites I check daily, and I ran across a thread that started out as a critique on the actions of a writer for a prominent feminist publication and ended up with My Little Ponies and HORROR OMG THE HUMANITY WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

Behold.

I kid you not, as soon as I scrolled down and saw that first picture, I yelled out loud, all like, "aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAH!" It only got worse the further down I scrolled.

So, JTIS since those things are now going to haunt my dreams for the rest of my days, and if I'm going down like that, I'm draggin' y'all with me.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
*gigglesnort*

Quote:
So I was just making the morning rounds of all the sites I check daily, and I ran across a thread that started out as a critique on the actions of a writer for a prominent feminist publication and ended up with My Little Ponies and HORROR OMG THE HUMANITY WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

Behold.

I kid you not, as soon as I scrolled down and saw that first picture, I yelled out loud, all like, "aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAH!" It only got worse the further down I scrolled.

So, JTIS since those things are now going to haunt my dreams for the rest of my days, and if I'm going down like that, I'm draggin' y'all with me.
Oh lawdy.... And people wonder why young ladies (hahaha) are turning out the way they are. I swear, if these product designer's common sense was cotton wool, they wouldn't have enough for a knat's tampon..
Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Behold.

What fresh hell...

Also extending my sincerest apologies to Applejack for the manip and having to be used in this awful context

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr

Last edited by ButterCookie; 10-05-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Annie.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Oh lawdy.... And people wonder why young ladies (hahaha) are turning out the way they are. I swear, if these product designer's common sense was cotton wool, they wouldn't have enough for a knat's tampon..
Ha! I have a small daughter, so I often get to see Really Bad Ideas for kids toys and clothes, but those ponies are wrong on SO many levels, my head wants to explode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post

What fresh hell...

Also extending my sincerest apologies to Applejack for the manip and having to be used in this awful context
Methinks Applejack will forgive in this situation if it does, indeed, get people to think of the children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Annie.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Sorry - something about that poster gets my hackles up. I don't know who that is and I've only ever seen him/her post twice now, but both times, they were bizarre comments to you about things you've said on this thread about your life, and I don't like that.

If it's someone you know who's actually okay, I'll refrain from jumping on it in future, but I somehow feel that's not the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just lost a friend today
man, it's a long story and I have no idea how it happened.

Last edited by Meowi; 10-06-2010 at 03:19 AM..
Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Sorry - something about that poster gets my hackles up. I don't know who that is and I've only ever seen him/her post twice now, but both times, they were bizarre comments to you about things you've said on this thread about your life, and I don't like that.

If it's someone you know who's actually okay, I'll refrain from jumping on it in future, but I somehow feel that's not the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.
No no no, those hearts were love for you. Copious amounts of love.

I literally have NO idea who that is.