Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Mackenzie Phillips: I had sex with musician dad John Phillips

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...rah/index.html

(CNN) -- Actress Mackenzie Phillips reveals she had a long-term incestuous relationship with her famous father, musician John Philips, in a tell-all memoir, according to People.com, which obtained an advance copy of her book.

Actress Mackenzie Phillips reportedly reveals a family secret to Oprah Winfrey.

Phillips, the 49-year-old former child star and daughter of the Mamas and the Papas founder John Phillips, says she had sex with her father the night before she was to marry Jeff Sessler, a member of the Rolling Stones entourage, in 1979, according to People.com.

"On the eve of my wedding, my father showed up, determined to stop it," writes Phillips, who was 19 at the time and a heavy drug user, according to People.com. "I had tons of pills, and Dad had tons of everything too. Eventually I passed out on Dad's bed."

Phillips, best known as Julie Cooper on the sitcom "One Day at a Time," says the sexual relationship became consensual as her life began to spiral out of control.

During her time on the hit CBS comedy, which ran from 1975 to 1984, she battled drug addiction and underwent drug rehabilitation. She later was fired from the show in 1980 because of her drug abuse. Watch Phillips discuss her arrest »

Eventually, she and her father went to rehab together and she later toured with him in a band called the New Mamas and the Papas, according to People.com.

"I was a fragment of a person, and my secret isolated me," she writes, according to People.com. "One night Dad said, 'We could just run away to a country where no one would look down on us. There are countries where this is an accepted practice. Maybe Fiji.' "

Phillips will reportedly unleash the secret she has kept to herself for 31 years in an interview on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" scheduled to air Wednesday. Phillips' book, "High on Arrival," comes out the same day.

Phillips has led a troubled life that has included substance abuse and a 2008 arrest at Los Angeles International Airport on suspicion of cocaine and heroin possession.

She later pleaded guilty to one count of cocaine possession and was ordered to a drug rehab program.

The interview features Phillips discussing the time she spent hiding in her home, compulsively purchasing items from a television shopping channel as well as the events surrounding her arrest.

In a promotional clip for "The Oprah Winfrey Show," Phillips also says her father shot her up with drugs. John Phillips, who died in 2001, had a well-documented drug problem and was convicted of drug trafficking in 1981. He told many stories of his drug abuse in his memoir, "Papa John."

Mackenzie Phillips also tells Winfrey about an encounter she purportedly had with rock 'n' roll legend Mick Jagger.

"One Day at a Time" co-star Valerie Bertinelli also appears on the Winfrey show in support of Phillips.

Phillips' career as an actress took off when, as a teen, she performed the role of Carol Morrison in the 1973 film "American Graffiti."

In the late 1990s, her career experienced a revival when she began co-starring on "So Weird," a Disney Channel program.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Registered

Shocking at first... but, ultimately, I'm not exactly surprised. Its not like we didn't already know John Phillips was a piece of ****.

I wonder what Michelle, Bijou, and Chynna think.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i saw a brief clip of an interview w/ makenzie yesterday & like luke said, it is sad, but it doesn't surprise me one bit~ i always felt bad for mackenzie that she was introduced & encouraged to do drugs at such a young age~ she has led quite a sad, yet somewhat interesting life & i will be buying the book~

she also said when she was 18 yrs old mick jagger came into her room to seduce her & mick comes in, locks the door & tells mackenzie he has been waiting for this moment since she was 10 years old~ i say ewwwwww~
Old 09-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ewwww. I cannot imagine putting this in a book. It's one thing to say that you were molested, but to admit that it was consensual? Ewww.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Ewwww. I cannot imagine putting this in a book. It's one thing to say that you were molested, but to admit that it was consensual? Ewww.
it clearly shows how messed up she was~

there was a good review about the book on amazon~ i'll have to record her on oprah~ it's surely a show i don't want shown in front of my son or daycare kids~ but seeing as i grew up w/ mackenzie on tv & knew she had demons, i do want to give the book a read~
Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh wow guys...I just googled Makenzie cus I wasn't sure what she looked like and I was shocked that SHE is John Phillips daughter. Gosh, I have been under a rock. Totally have seen her everywhere and had no idea. Not to mention....this is horrific. Poor girl. Poor everyone. It's crazy what drugs can do to people.

So, Chyna is her sister, right? Michelle is her mom too? This is terrible. NOT what I wanted to read at the crack of dawn, haha. But thanks for posting.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysondt View Post
Oh wow guys...I just googled Makenzie cus I wasn't sure what she looked like and I was shocked that SHE is John Phillips daughter. Gosh, I have been under a rock. Totally have seen her everywhere and had no idea. Not to mention....this is horrific. Poor girl. Poor everyone. It's crazy what drugs can do to people.

So, Chyna is her sister, right? Michelle is her mom too? This is terrible. NOT what I wanted to read at the crack of dawn, haha. But thanks for posting.
chynna & bijou are her sisters, but michelle isn't her mother, her mother is susan adams, john's 1st wife~
Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 AM
vivfox
This message has been deleted by vivfox.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Pretty brave to admit publicly something that is actually somewhat common in an incestuous (EDIT: there is no such word as "incestual", I don't think...lol) situation.

However it needs to get out and talked about is fine with me. My agency has an entire division devoted to Child Advocacy (children who are victim's of sexual and physical assault) and we just lost a huge chunk of funding. People need to open their eyes and realize what is happening. It IS happening,. I am one of only three therapists in my agency who has been trained to do Trauma Focused CBT therapy, so I see this first hand. I hope that Mackenzie is listened to and recognized as a victim and that this book opens eyes and hearts.

Last edited by jannieC; 09-23-2009 at 01:45 PM..
Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Shocking at first... but, ultimately, I'm not exactly surprised. Its not like we didn't already know John Phillips was a piece of ****.
It's mind boggling that such a talented and sick person can live in the same body.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
it clearly shows how messed up she was~

there was a good review about the book on amazon~ i'll have to record her on oprah~ it's surely a show i don't want shown in front of my son or daycare kids~ but seeing as i grew up w/ mackenzie on tv & knew she had demons, i do want to give the book a read~
I'll be picking up her book and I'm recording Oprah to watch when I get home from work tonight. I was wonderfully supportive of Valerie Bertinelli to appear on the show with her.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Pretty brave to admit publicly something that is actually somewhat common in an incestuous (EDIT: there is no such word as "incestual", I don't think...lol) situation.

However it needs to get out and talked about is fine with me. My agency has an entire division devoted to Child Advocacy (children who are victim's of sexual and physical assault) and we just lost a huge chunk of funding. People need to open their eyes and realize what is happening. It IS happening,. I am one of only three therapists in my agency who has been trained to do Trauma Focused CBT therapy, so I see this first hand. I hope that Mackenzie is listened to and recognized as a victim and that this book opens eyes and hearts.
Amen. This is a subject that gets swept under the carpet way too often. I definitely think her story will benefit others. It helps them to know that they are not alone.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very very isturbing. I always remember her as the "mom" from the Disney Channel, so growing up, I didn't know she had so many issues.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Amen. This is a subject that gets swept under the carpet way too often. I definitely think her story will benefit others. It helps them to know that they are not alone.
Thanks for the "Amen" in spite of the many typos and grammatical errors. I was at work and typing very fast- !

I wanted to add that while her story isn't "new", it is offering another perspective. She wasn't really "consensual" in the way we define it. I didn't get to see Oprah, but I hope this was handled well.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post

she also said when she was 18 yrs old mick jagger came into her room to seduce her & mick comes in, locks the door & tells mackenzie he has been waiting for this moment since she was 10 years old~ i say ewwwwww~
The way it was phrased made me wonder exactly what it was that Jagger actually did. It was a very troubling choice of words, for me.

---------------------------------------------

Anyway, personally I think a lot of things that have gone down for her make a helluva lot more sense now. It's not exactly a nine-days wonder why she would be having these sorts of problems.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

Quote:

Statuatory rape, especially involving incest, is never consensual. For example there's automatically "power issues" involved - the father is a trusted "authority figure," etc.

Anyway i.m.o. it's six of one, half-dozen of the other - I'm totally neutral about whether the temperature of his room in hell will be one million degrees, or ten million........