Old 12-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I guess I should have seen this coming.
Nice editing

Quote:
You and maybe a handful of other people. The album was good. Period.
So, you say. I know many who did not care for it and certainly its sales, or lack thereof, support that But, you go on thinking everyone but a handful of people thought it was great (perhaps on the order of Michell's "Ladies of the Canyon") if that floats your boat.

On edit: I think it is okay not to like something LB did, esp. when he was pushing the envelope (kudos for that), as he did on this record. I still think he is a genius, etc. Interestingly, I faulted La Nicks for the mediocre stuff on TISL, which I thought has moments of brilliance, but was a 3/5 overall, mostly due to her refusal to use her voice in any meaningful way, though she does on a few songs.

Quote:
. . . Even Stevie thought it lame. That was all the record company.
Where exactly did Stevie say it was lame? Please provide a cite to that. But, just to help you out, here's a quote from her indicating she did not think it was lame.

Quote:
When she wasn’t visiting troops in recent months, Nicks was putting the finishing touches on a new combo CD/DVD, Reflections—The Best of Stevie Nicks, which includes 18 tracks, four of them live tracks, along with a 20-page booklet and a DVD containing all 12 videos she made. Those who purchase Reflections, which hit stores earlier this month, can also enjoy galleries of all of Nicks’ photo shoots through the years, and watch the dozen videos while listening to an audio track of her commentary.

“This is so cool. I’m so proud of it,” Nicks gushed over the retrospective CD/DVD that Warner Bros. Records put together. “This will be, I think, kind of a groundbreaking package.”
http://www.whats-on.com/ViewFeature.aspx?show=123

Quote:
And those great reviews? Meh. I'd say they were mixed at best.
I suggest you re read them.

In the end, you get a rise out of bashing her. So be it. On edit - that was harsh - I take it back.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 12-06-2007 at 02:03 PM..
Old 12-06-2007, 01:49 PM
strandinthewind
This message has been deleted by strandinthewind.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
I'm gonna cry.
It's been more dead than usual here.
I miss the way it used to be.
Where are the trolls? Where are the heated political debates? Where is everyone at yanking eachothers chain??
I miss this place.
Talk to me, dammit!!!
For a minute I thought someone had passed. Way to scare the crap out of me.
This year has put quite the beat down on me. All I can say is, all I know is that it's a cycle. And cycles come and go. (Tip of the hat to Lindsey).
Old 12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
In the end, you get a rise out of bashing her. So be it.
you're talking to vanessa. nothing could be further from the truth

if you were talking to me, it would be a different matter
Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
. . . if you were talking to me, it would be a different matter
When I speak to you, you'll know it Missy - now put back on the collar and get in your corner

Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nice editing
Didn't want to start that debate also.

Quote:
So, you say. I know many who did not care for it and certainly its sales, or lack thereof, support that But, you go on thinking everyone but a handful of people thought it was great (perhaps on the order of Michell's "Ladies of the Canyon") if that floats your boat.
Obviously you don't even understand what the album, or Lindsey, is about if you bring up sales. I was just saying that based on my observations, there aren't many people that found the album to be bad or mediocre. And I'm talking about the hardcore fans that post here, which is exactly who I was referring to in my original post. I don't care about Shirley down the street, she doesn't post on The Ledge.

Quote:
Where exactly did Stevie say it was lame? Please provide a cite to that. But, just to help you out, here's a quote from her indicating she did not think it was lame.
OMG. Stevie will say Bush is cool if that is what people expect of her. I remember her initial comments regarding the TimeSpace album, and how she didn't want to put out a greatest hits album. She might not have used the word "LAME", but that's what it came down to. Those are all things record companies expect you to do, I don't think any artist ever jumps at the opportunity. I wasn't saying the Crystal Visions collection itself was lame, just the idea of another greatest hits collection in general.

Quote:
I suggest you re read them.
Oh, where is that scathing review someone posted around the start of the tour? I'll post it when I find it. Sure, there were positive reviews, but I wouldn't call them all raving, and there definitely some less than positive ones as well.

Quote:
In the end, you get a rise out of bashing her. So be it.
Yeah, I should really hand in my fan card. Come on, Jason, you know me better than that.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When I speak to you, you'll know it Missy - now put back on the collar and get in your corner
dude.

i am never the one wearing the collar. or perhaps you've forgotten?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchristo View Post

There are people on here who annoy the **** out of me. There are people I find self-righteous. So? Why can't I tell them how I feel? I'm sure there are many people who don't like me, find me annoying, etc. They should be able to tell me. But everyone is afraid to say much of anything. In the real world we can tell people off all we want, or even punch them in the face. On a message board, the worst that could happen is that someone gets their feelings hurt. Grow up. Suck it up. Go cry and eat a gallon of ice cream to make yourself feel better. Or fight back.

It's more engaging when people can debate and disagree without having to worry about getting bant.
OMG, where the hell do you live that you can go around punching people in the face?

I want to move there.

Quote:
A "great" new Lindsey album -- that is subjective. I thought UTS was medicore at best. The tour was, however, great for what it was. But, if you were looking for a rocking LB (amd many were) - you were left wanting due to the acoustic nature of the set.

I thought La Nicks' GH record was cool in that she gave the voiceovers on her videos, included the symphony stuff, etc. Yes, a new rocord would have been great though. As for the tour, she got great reviews from the press and fans. So, what was lame about that, other than no new move there.stuff was done

Get off the Debbie Downer train
Although I didn't love every song on it, I think UTS is truly a great album musically.

Stevie's GH was OK, but nothing most of us hadn't seen or heard before. Meh. Could have been better. I'm not trying to be negative, just truthful. I'm glad I got to see the tour, mainly because I finally got front row & some fantastic pics. If not for that, I wouldn't have been too thrilled. I am happier that I got to see her do something totally different - that trip to the Petty shows in Berkeley was priceless, even if I was in the back of the house.

Quote:
I am usure if people felt they could not debate people. I certainly did not. I think what you had was people like Tower deliberately baiting the mods. by deliberately cursing at and provoking people. I love Tower, think he is great, and miss him. I also think banning him was ridiculous given his contribution to this board over the years and my personal friendship with him. But, he openly violated the rules, ridiculous though they were So, I have to conclude that legitimate debate, as opposed to mocking/baiting/rudeness, was not stifled.

OK, so tell me why nobody debates ANYTHING anymore? Why don't we discuss politics or health care or the war? Sure, Mary's gone and Towie & RickyRy too. But I'm still here, you're here, Carrie's here, Amber's here, Jannie's here, Vanessa's here, Maria, Sparky, Suze, Sarah...... so what's up? There's always something to talk about, so why do many of the people that weren't banned choose not to bother anymore?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hilarious. Weird how it made Rolling Stone, Uncut Magazine's and other respected music magazine's top 50 albums of 2006. You think others get off on bashing Stevie, well you seem to enjoy putting Lindsey down too. Love the up to date music reference btw.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
For a minute I thought someone had passed. Way to scare the crap out of me.
This year has put quite the beat down on me. All I can say is, all I know is that it's a cycle. And cycles come and go. (Tip of the hat to Lindsey).
Yeah, after I read the thread title, I kinda chuckled... It was really kind of misleading. Didn't mean to scare the crap outta ya...

I don't know what you meant by this year has put the beat down on you, but I know this past year has been an emotional - and expensive year for me. Financially, my up cycle is waning.... it's all down from here for a while... (damn new car...)
Old 12-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
Yeah, after I read the thread title, I kinda chuckled... It was really kind of misleading. Didn't mean to scare the crap outta ya...

I don't know what you meant by this year has put the beat down on you,
I'll talk to you in person next time I see you.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . Obviously you don't even understand what the album, or Lindsey, is about if you bring up sales. . . . .
I think people miscontrue LB as some sort of artist who eschews popularity. The evidence is solidly in my favor. Who can blame him? He lives a high life and has to pay for it In the end, he wants to be different, but always runs back to The Mac to get the popularity injection - sticks the camera right into his arm - so to speak.

I also think that anyone who thinks that LB did not secretly want UTS to be a hugely popular record does not understand him. The chip on his genius of a shoulder is large IMO.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I'll talk to you in person next time I see you.
That'll be a while...
I'd still like to come out there for vacation sometime. I think it'll be Cali again next year though.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
OMG, where the hell do you live that you can go around punching people in the face?
dude. indiana. 'nuff said.

Quote:
I want to move there.
no you don't.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I also think that anyone who thinks that LB did not secretly want UTS to be a hugely popular record does not understand him. The chip on his genius of a shoulder is large IMO.
Secretly people want a lot of things. I secretly want to screw George Clooney's brains out, but I realize that is not a realistic goal. So I'll settle for the guy next door and be very happy with that.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i stopped reading most of the posts a while ago. nothing particularly interesting.

also, my ignore list makes it burdensome to read much more than the first page.

chilid, ITA with your observation about seemingly investing more in something than those involved. i have very little to add to the other forums these days. everything has been covered and recovered. we need to start a forum for recovering FM fans. "my name is mariel, and i am a recovering fanatic."