Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
doesn't sound as depressing
Really? I thought Lindsey came off as totally depressive. Perhaps it's me.
::::::sob:::::::
(((((lindsey)))))
Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I have a feeling that I'll absolutely love it live, the same way I did with "Say Goodbye." On stage he's forced to play more simplistically...
He wasn't with "Red Rover"!

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 09-14-2006, 04:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
May I ask your thoughts on DOR?
DOR is a very big fan-fave, but I don't like the song that much. I rate it as a good lindsey-pop-song but it has never touched me that much. I must say, that the melodies in Castaway Dreams speak more to me. DOR and CAD are a couple for me in this set of tunes.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you heard the UTS version?
Yup, well the GOS version anyway. Listened to the first minute of the UTS one on his site and stopped because it was the same to my ears and there were newer songs I had yet to hear.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Yup, well the GOS version anyway.
I do enjoy the soundstage version and hope that is how he plays it should he do so this tour.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
That's perfect! To my ears he's saying "I Won't Be Home Tonight" at the beginning of the chorus.
I agree, that's what I hear too...
Thank you, Rumour0323 I just adore how the pretty music and his voice blend together. This song is gorgeous.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
.....search for....

"past is gone, Will is here"

"past is gone, LeeLee's here"

"past is gone, Stella's here"

at the end of each chorus.

that should do the trick....I guess

Hmm! I was searching for the names alone and the only one I could distinctly hear was Stella's I'll listen harder next time.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley View Post
JEALHEADS!
SONS OF BITCHES. BUMPASSES!)@*!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Having heard the songs available, it reinforces my opinion that UTS will be his best solo work to date.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
{gag!} No, no, no, no, no...I was just starting to try to get into it. Now, I'll be hearing HCTS as I listen to it. Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t!!!!!

DAMN! Just when Gerald & I were starting to get along, J-Stew comes along and says something like the above...UGH!!

You troublemaker!!!
Don't take stewies remark too serious, Chili, Lindsey went crazy on that one and SUD is very controlled, pretty and warm. I don't hear ANY similarity apart from the fact that he's pickin'.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do enjoy the soundstage version and hope that is how he plays it should he do so this tour.
I love that version as well. I hope it gets done and I can get nice clear boot of the show
Old 09-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Thanks dude...

Quote:
Respect dude, I wish I could conquer the temptation.
I just wait for an album to be released outta habit, I dont wanna hear a pre-release track that I may dislike and end up with a negative attitude towards an album.

Oh, ya need to go to "Chit Chat" and read about tonights Flaming Lips show in OKC, that should be a helluva visual trip.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

Quote:

Whaddayasay here Matt?
SUD has the most untouched direct in-your-face production Lindsey has ever recorded. AT LEAST since 1979. There are very little effects if at all. Even the guitar sounds ten times warmer than on any studiorecording I recall since Tusk. I understand that at first listen SUD -guitarwise- sounds like something as Say Goodbye, but the sound is as in your face as it can get with this recordingtechnique. In combination with the husky breathy vulnerable vocal I'd say it's a brand new approach. I just hope some of the unknown songs are strummers recorded with the SUD-production-mindset.
Not to be one who is too attached to his own opinions, I downloaded the MP3s that are linked in this very thread and listened to them repeatedly this morning on the way to work.

Then I realized that "Shut Us Down" isn't one of them. Hah! I also forgot my copy of the ELIZABETHTOWN soundtrack, so I don't have "Shut Us Down" to listen to as I write this.

However, I can say that the thing I don't like about "Shut Us Down" is that it sounds so much, guitar-wise, to "Say Goodbye" and, to a lesser degree, "Try for the Sun." Now that you mention it, I DO remember that the vocal is rather dry, which is a good thing.

The beginning of "Show You How" reminds me a little of Donovan's "Catch the Wind," but it's not in 6/8 time. And not with Donovan singing... *grin* This song sounds like TUSK, circa 2006, to my ears. Like many of Lindsey's TUSK tunes, there's a very simple chord progression and melody, but it's very hooky and stripped back and raw. The more I hear this song, the more I think that it would be worth buying the whole album just to have "Show You How."

"It Was You"---how sweet to hear Lindsey sing about wedded bliss. I love a "fun" song as much as the next guy, but this song sounds a little half-baked to me. It wants to be an "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" type tune, but the arrangement never lets it get there.

"Cast Away Dreams"---what a great chord progression and a melody that perfectly blends with the vibe of the song. But WHAT was he thinking with that vocal effect? Based on the song itself, this is one of my all-time favorite Lindsey songs, but my good will is absolutely killed by the delay/flange effect on his lead vocal. It's not that bad until he says a word with an "s" in it, in which case the effect REALLY jumps out. Tragic. It's completely tragic, because this is a truly great song, otherwise.

I still like "Down on Rodeo," but it doesn't fit with the other songs, to me. Same thing with "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind." Sorry to sound like a broken record, but that's how it feels to my ears. I sincerely hope that the other songs we haven't heard can somehow bridge the perceived gap between these songs and result in a cohesive album. Also, the chorus to "Someone's Gotta..." really gets on my nerves ["I know, I know," etc.]. The repeated words are like nails on a chalkboard...this one really drives my wife crazy, and NOT in a good way...!

Quote:
By the way, please post more, normally you say interesting and very music-related things that cut wood. I love that.
Hah! So, I "normally" post such things...?!? Just not in THIS case, eh? *grin*

That's me, though---just "musical" enough to be dangerous every now and then. I always used to claim that Lindsey was a big influence on my songwriting and recording, but it's certainly not an obvious thing. The main thing we have in common is a love of recording and a tendancy to OVER-overdub...!

mattl
Old 09-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Ledgie

Hi!
I couldn't resist and thought I deserved and needed a "new Lindsey" session tonight and subsequent posting in a forum (also, I have no idea when the album will be released here in Spain..) so I listened to the songs. I haven't read this thread yet (so I may be repeating ideas), I will do after.

Cast away dreams is one of the most beautiful and well written songs Lindsey has EVER recorded. Period. Moving... devastating It has all those ingredients that makes the music of this guy my favourite... a song like this, when he "gets there", is able to make me feel completely happy.
Show you how brilliant also, those Brian Wilson vocal games, and, Lindsey, was it the dusted off Fairlight at the end? lol great
It was you well not my favourite.. eer a bit odd at first listenings... was it reggae? why? well it may be funny after a few listenings so let's give it some For now I only like 4 seconds when he reminds me of Perry Farrell (another favourite of mine).

The other two songs are already classics to me so no news.

I think that, although a bit shocking at first, Lindsey's choice of production for this album makes total sense to me: completely opposed to current protools-autotune bland crap, keeping the songs simple and pure. Also, an intelligent solution to overcome destructive perfectionism . Even a little less echo would have been welcomed as well.

I can't wait to listen the rest of the album, and the next one, and next
Bravo!!!
Hugs to everyone and a big thank you to Mr Buckingham!

Héctor, from Barcelona

Last edited by xhector; 09-22-2006 at 09:32 PM..
Old 09-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After hearing Show You How for the first time, I'm pretty confident that this song is going to kick some serious ass when played live. I'm already excited.