The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is no surprise to me. After having seen recent pictures of him, I think he's probably still taking something. I haven't read this book or seen the except in Sports Illustrated yet. My copy should be in my mailbox tomorrow. From what I've read, these reporters have detailed documentation for everything. I don't know what you can do about baseball's records. I suspect nothing will be done. Many of these players are tainted, not just Bonds. These records are meaningless now, in my opinion. I don't know what you do about the Hall of Fame. Pete Rose isn't in the Hall of Fame. I think what Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc. did, is worse than what Rose did(and I don't think Rose should be in the Hall of Fame either). I'm just glad this book is coming out now before Bonds breaks Aaron's record. I hope he retires now.

Last edited by macfan 57; 03-08-2006 at 06:38 AM..
Old 03-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
one MLB needs to strip of records (cough*McGwire*cough...And sadly Sammy "Say it IS so" Sosa)
I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I couldn't agree more.
We might as well include Raffy Palmiero while we're at it.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

I predict that Bonds will stay around long enough to beat Ruth's record, but will leave Aaron's intact. It's a shame that Barry had to get into the steroid thing (although still not proven, even though of course we know), because he was already such a fine baseball player.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt

It needs to be said, though, that the SF Chronicle has been trying to tear Barry down for quite some time. They to do something like that because the quality of the paper has plummeted over the years. I look at what these authors/Chronicle reporters have to say with a jaundiced eye. If they want to expose the steroid stuff, fine, but looks like they are airing all his dirty laundry. I couldn't care less if he's a tax cheat or can't get it up.
But actually, a large part of the reason is because he has almost always been an a**hole with the press. He's notoriously uncooperative. Press hates that.
Krista - more of a Giants fan.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 03-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt
It's a shame that Barry had to get into the steroid thing (although still not proven, even though of course we know), because he was already such a fine baseball player.
That's true. He was a sure-fire Hall of Famer even if he had never taken all this stuff.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472
We might as well include Raffy Palmiero while we're at it.
you know i had just watched this long documentary on raffy & how great he is to his people & such, & like 2 days later his scandal broke~ i was so pissed & dissappointed in all his lying bull**** & as for bonds, if this is all true, he looks like sucha an idiot for lying about it, like america is just so blind~
Old 03-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, while we're on the subject of wiping the records clean, how about we reinstate Pete Rose's eligibility for the HOF? If these guys are going to go to Cooperstown for bashing 70 steriod-induced homeruns a season, why not put in Rose, the greatest hitter of all time?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, while we're on the subject of wiping the records clean, how about we reinstate Pete Rose's eligibility for the HOF? If these guys are going to go to Cooperstown for bashing 70 steriod-induced homeruns a season, why not put in Rose, the greatest hitter of all time?
preach it sista...i agree!!!~
Old 03-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6
preach it sista...i agree!!!~
Good! I mean, if we're going to allow drug addicts into the HOF, why not gamblers?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've always felt Rose should be in. The HOF is full of players with less than impeccable character. Doesn't make them good people, but it's an honor based on achievements in the game, not virtue.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

I read the excerpt and much of it smells fishy. Not about Bonds doing steroids, that's obvious, and we don't need a book to tell us that. Rather, it reads like a trashy novel, taking what his ex-girlfriend claims Bonds said and putting those words into quotes from Bonds himself (without using the word alleged). I also find it odd that his ex says she has a drawer filled with answering machine tapes of angry/violent messages from Bonds, yet not a single one is quoted.

It all really comes down to Bonds says he didn't use steroids and most of us know otherwise. Some care a lot and others couldn't care less. The book is just tossing out his personal dirty laundry to make a buck and prop up the crappy SF Chronicle, in my opinion.