User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-20-2024, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yep, you couldn't give me fame on a platter. I only want the paycheck!!!!
You'd be cancelled immediately!
Old 06-20-2024, 04:21 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 06-20-2024, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember Wendy Welch claiming when Bob died that Mick called her to offer condolences and she got him to admit that Christine was the reason he was not inducted in the RRHOF. The reason was that she was angry that his 79 album sold more copies than her 84 album. I wonder if the lawsuit he filed was the real reason. She claims that Mick said Christine said she would not take the stage if he was inducted.

As for the interview Stevie really likes to act like she and Christine were the best of friends yet in the years when Christine wasn't in the band as well as in between tours they never kept in touch. Mick I think was the only one who truly kept in touch. Remember around 2000 -2001 he had dinner with her with London and she said yes to doing a new album but no touring.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
I remember Wendy Welch claiming when Bob died that Mick called her to offer condolences and she got him to admit that Christine was the reason he was not inducted in the RRHOF. The reason was that she was angry that his 79 album sold more copies than her 84 album. I wonder if the lawsuit he filed was the real reason. She claims that Mick said Christine said she would not take the stage if he was inducted.

As for the interview Stevie really likes to act like she and Christine were the best of friends yet in the years when Christine wasn't in the band as well as in between tours they never kept in touch. Mick I think was the only one who truly kept in touch. Remember around 2000 -2001 he had dinner with her with London and she said yes to doing a new album but no touring.
The reason Christine was upset with Bob is NOT because her solo album sold less than his first two. Wendy may have claimed that but it’s not the reason. Christine was pissed that Bob sued Fleetwood and the McVies for additional royalties. The lawsuit occurred in the mid-90s and was resolved not long before The Dance. For years, she remained angry with Bob over that. She wasn’t the only one. John wasn’t thrilled either.

Wendy’s claim (and Bob’s—for he once said this, too) re: Christine’s jealousy/anger over the album sales may have been true as a separate issue, but certainly if Christine released a solo album between 1977-1979, when FM were at their commercial peak, she would have enjoyed more sales, too. By 1984, she could still sell respectably on her own. Bob could not.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 06-20-2024 at 08:12 PM..
Old 06-20-2024, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, it was totally over Bob suing them for royalties.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yes, it was totally over Bob suing them for royalties.
Can anyone remember whether Bob's case had any merit? I seem to recall that it was settled out of court. Mick and Bob reconciled somewhat I seem to recall (although the former as a non-writer would have had less to lose). There was something about Bob alleging that the Mcvies & Fleetwood unilaterally changing the royalty structure without Bob's consent.

I suppose the later success of the band would have helped keep the sales of Bob's FM albums up but it all left a sour taste in the mouth.

Would the band have insisted on Bob's inclusion in the RRHOF (like the Rolling Stones did for the late Ian Stewart) without the lawsuit? I would like to think so but hand on heart.....

What a photo that would have been.. the Rumours 5 Peter & Bob. Such a shame that Jeremy and Danny couldn't or wouldn't attend.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Everyone take note.

Go out and do your endless touring if you want, Nicks. But stop being a pill to people who either can’t or won’t defend themselves. Shut up about people you no longer allow to work with you.
This!! ^^^

I don't think she is capable of shutting up, however. And her fans hang on every word she says, like it's gospel. Which makes it worse because she never gets called out for really bad human being behavior.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
This!! ^^^

I don't think she is capable of shutting up, however. And her fans hang on every word she says, like it's gospel. Which makes it worse because she never gets called out for really bad human being behavior.
SLN was DJT before he rode down that dirty “gold” escalator.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
Can anyone remember whether Bob's case had any merit? I seem to recall that it was settled out of court. Mick and Bob reconciled somewhat I seem to recall (although the former as a non-writer would have had less to lose). There was something about Bob alleging that the Mcvies & Fleetwood unilaterally changing the royalty structure without Bob's consent.

Would the band have insisted on Bob's inclusion in the RRHOF (like the Rolling Stones did for the late Ian Stewart) without the lawsuit? I would like to think so but hand on heart.....

What a photo that would have been.. the Rumours 5 Peter & Bob. Such a shame that Jeremy and Danny couldn't or wouldn't attend.
I don't remember the specifics, only that Bob was getting screwed.

Call me Villavic II, but, PER MICK'S BOOK- "Bob Welch SAVED Fleetwood Mac". How can you exclude that guy?

Bob and Wendy were OBSESSED with the R&RHOF exclusion.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post

I suppose the later success of the band would have helped keep the sales of Bob's FM albums up but it all left a sour taste in the mouth.

The case had merit — on a technical, legal level. Fleetwood and the McVies had renegotiated their Warners contracts to receive higher royalty payments. These royalties included records with which Welch was a part. He was not included on these renegotiations and said he too should have higher royalties. Bob touches on this in a very skeletal way in one of his two Q&As. I’m sure there was some legal merit because the matter was resolved in the form of a settlement.

However, the spirit of the lawsuit may have felt like an injustice to Fleetwood and the McVies, whose affiliations with Warners had been constant and whose name recognition was much higher than Welch’s at the time of negotiation: they were in a position to renegotiate; he was not. Plus, getting sued by Welch had to have felt like a bitter, ironic echo of their own lawsuit against Davis, spearheaded by Welch, Fleetwood, and the McVies. So….
Old 06-21-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
SLN was DJT before he rode down that dirty “gold” escalator.
Explain this to me. I'm sure it's funny, but I don't have this reference in my head.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The case had merit — on a technical, legal level. Fleetwood and the McVies had renegotiated their Warners contracts to receive higher royalty payments. These royalties included records with which Welch was a part. He was not included on these renegotiations and said he too should have higher royalties. Bob touches on this in a very skeletal way in one of his two Q&As. I’m sure there was some legal merit because the matter was resolved in the form of a settlement.

However, the spirit of the lawsuit may have felt like an injustice to Fleetwood and the McVies, whose affiliations with Warners had been constant and whose name recognition was much higher than Welch’s at the time of negotiation: they were in a position to renegotiate; he was not. Plus, getting sued by Welch had to have felt like a bitter, ironic echo of their own lawsuit against Davis, spearheaded by Welch, Fleetwood, and the McVies. So….
I agree with Welch in the sense that he had the most hand in these albums and songs. He deserved to get his beak wet for carrying them.

Christine and Mick did appear on his albums and help him out with shows etc (as they all climbed the ladder.) French Kiss did really well. To compare it to her album which came out 1984 is absurd. Sales wise and all.
She hadn't had a solo effort since 1970 and marketing herself was tricky by the time 1984 came around.

Having said all that, I did a little digging from my few sources, and Wendy was a bit batsh**T crazy. To take all her words at 100% is NOT the way I would go about it.

I still think Bob was due a ton more credit that he received. He kept that band alive and even moved them here.

May he rest in peace and argue with Christine up there in heaven. Maybe Peter or Bob Weston can referee the whole fiasco!!
Old 06-21-2024, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with Welch in the sense that he had the most hand in these albums and songs. He deserved to get his beak wet for carrying them.

Christine and Mick did appear on his albums and help him out with shows etc (as they all climbed the ladder.) French Kiss did really well. To compare it to her album which came out 1984 is absurd. Sales wise and all.
She hadn't had a solo effort since 1970 and marketing herself was tricky by the time 1984 came around.

Having said all that, I did a little digging from my few sources, and Wendy was a bit batsh**T crazy. To take all her words at 100% is NOT the way I would go about it.

I still think Bob was due a ton more credit that he received. He kept that band alive and even moved them here.

May he rest in peace and argue with Christine up there in heaven. Maybe Peter or Bob Weston can referee the whole fiasco!!
Yes—this is sums it up, really. His legacy was undervalued: they had moved on without acknowledging it. Hadn’t thought of him when renegotiating. As a result of the lawsuit, he did receive $ — we just don’t know the exact amount. But I suspect he’d said or done something in the process that offended Christine and John, in particular. No certainty. But her anger, which she held onto for years, was significant.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes—this is sums it up, really. His legacy was undervalued: they had moved on without acknowledging it. Hadn’t thought of him when renegotiating. As a result of the lawsuit, he did receive $ — we just don’t know the exact amount. But I suspect he’d said or done something in the process that offended Christine and John, in particular. No certainty. But her anger, which she held onto for years, was significant.
This is what drives me crazy about the entire pre-75 era of Fleetwood Mac and how they have treated it in the past. Mick and Co. undervalued all of it for years, until it conveniently became important to them for any number of reasons. Oh, it's 1995 and the band could be done, let's re-negotiate in a real dirty way and screw Bob because we need the cash. Oh, Lindsey being fired isn't anything new, Fleetwood Mac has always been about the revolving door of lineups. Oh we need to fill out a setlist, let's just talk up the blues material because that's the easy way out. They've always used that material as their getaway car without giving it the proper dues, until very recently. They will ignore the blues legacy of the band for decades as they milk the Rumours cash cow, until they have to fall back on it for either financial or PR reasons.

Mick already sold off his RRHOF award, that's how much it meant to him!

Last edited by BigAl84; 06-21-2024 at 11:46 AM..
Old 06-21-2024, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
This is what drives me crazy about the entire pre-75 era of Fleetwood Mac and how they have treated it in the past. Mick and Co. undervalued all of it for years, until it conveniently became important to them for any number of reasons. Oh, it's 1995 and the band could be done, let's re-negotiate in a real dirty way and screw Bob because we need the cash. Oh, Lindsey being fired isn't anything new, Fleetwood Mac has always been about the revolving door of lineups. Oh we need to fill out a setlist, let's just talk up the blues material because that's the easy way out. They've always used that material as their getaway car without giving it the proper dues, until very recently.

Mick already sold off his RRHOF award, that's how much it meant to him!
You would be told Lindsey wouldn’t perform anything other than Oh Well in a Fleetwood Mac concert.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Explain this to me. I'm sure it's funny, but I don't have this reference in my head.
When Stevie speaks before and after her songs, does she remind you of someone at a rally? Who else is internationally known with an elementary school vocabulary and stream of “consciousness”(?)