Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2022, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Most likely because they're 100 years old. To give them enough time to drink an Ensure and get their Depends changed.
I did not see those shows but it annoyed me greatly that during rehearsals with 2 new members they wanted to play older tunes to showcase the new members. Also without Lindsey they could dig deeper. What did they do anyway? Lindsey songs and the audience could not even have interest in Black Magic Woman unless Stevie sang it. What does that tell you? Hypnotized was the perfect fit for Neil yet it was played only a few times and dropped because the audience had no idea what song that was. Even the Crowded House song had to feature Stevie to keep the bathroom breaks to a minimum. These are the reasons Irving demands $tevie get so much money because she is the only one to keep them in their seats. If Fleetwood Mac cant perform a Mac classic Black Magic Woman without Stevie on lead vocals, it tells you Irving is on to something.

I would have opened with a heavy metal version of Green Manalishi and blew everyone out of their seats. Then Station Man before The Chain. Grab the audience when you can before the first beer run.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-13-2022 at 11:14 AM..
Old 02-13-2022, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I did not see those shows but it annoyed me greatly that during rehearsals with 2 new members they wanted to play older tunes to showcase the new members. Also without Lindsey they could dig deeper. What did they do anyway? Lindsey songs and the audience could not even have interest in Black Magic Woman unless Stevie sang it. What does that tell you? Hypnotized was the perfect fit for Neil yet it was played only a few times and dropped because the audience had no idea what song that was. Even the Crowded House song had to feature Stevie to keep the bathroom breaks to a minimum. These are the reasons Irving demands $tevie get so much money because she is the only one to keep them in their seats. If Fleetwood Mac cant perform a Mac classic Black Magic Woman without Stevie on lead vocals, it tells you Irving is on to something.
Unfortunately, if PROFITS is the bottom line(no pun intended), Irving is onto something. This hasn't been about art(except Lindsey) for a LONG TIME. It's about filling seats, and maximizing profits. Even though half of us here are Fleetwood Mac fans(not $tevie fans masquerading as FM fans), they know that the majority of the concert ticket buying public are there to see the old goat.

Although I do love having a designated pee song. Big Love was my pee song for the past few shows I saw(since they hadn't done Oh Daddy for a long time).
Old 02-13-2022, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey songs and the audience could not even have interest in Black Magic Woman unless Stevie sang it. What does that tell you? Hypnotized was the perfect fit for Neil yet it was played only a few times and dropped because the audience had no idea what song that was. Even the Crowded House song had to feature Stevie to keep the bathroom breaks to a minimum. These are the reasons Irving demands $tevie get so much money because she is the only one to keep them in their seats. If Fleetwood Mac cant perform a Mac classic Black Magic Woman without Stevie on lead vocals, it tells you Irving is on to something.
At the concert I was at, there was no mass exodus for the bathroom when Neil sang Don’t Dream it’s Over, and Stevie wasn’t on stage when he started singing. I thought Stevie was great on Black Magic Woman, I mean the whole song by FM was great, she was just one component. Remember, not only Hypnotized was dropped, but also Storms, which was performed by Stevie. For whatever reason, the audience responded better to BMW than Storms and Hypnotized, but like you, I wish they would have kept both songs in the set.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
At the concert I was at, there was no mass exodus for the bathroom when Neil sang Don’t Dream it’s Over, and Stevie wasn’t on stage when he started singing. I thought Stevie was great on Black Magic Woman, I mean the whole song by FM was great, she was just one component. Remember, not only Hypnotized was dropped, but also Storms, which was performed by Stevie. For whatever reason, the audience responded better to BMW than Storms and Hypnotized, but like you, I wish they would have kept both songs in the set.
They know she is coming. If Stevie did not sing Dont Dream Its Over then you may have a point.

The biggest bathroom break I ever saw was during Over My Head in 1987. Stevie left the stage after Seven Wonders and it looked like a fire alarm. It was so disrespectful to the rest of the band. I felt so embarrassed for the band. All the stairs in the area were full of chiffon heads making their bathroom break Stevie has always provided good back up vocals on the song but in 1987 she was not on stage for Over My Head nor You Make Loving Fun.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They know she is coming. If Stevie did not sing Dont Dream Its Over then you may have a point.
I don’t know… the friends I went with didn’t know Stevie was coming onstage midway. I don’t know how many people really look to see what the setlist is, and even if they did, I don’t know if it says “Don’t Dream It’s Over by Neil, with Stevie joining mid-song.” Maybe it does describe it that way, and maybe a lot of people do look up the setlist, but my general belief is that most people don’t. Also, I can’t say that the majority of people at the concert I attended were primarily chiffonheads. FM has always gotten a lot of airplay in my area in Ohio, and I remember the crowd going wild for Christine’s songs.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i just remember reading all these reviews saying how DDIO received the most rousing audience reactions and random people on social saying how DDIO was their absolute highlight of the show and thinking - how embarrassing for FM brand.

and of course that was a weird watered down DDIO version plus that sad version of I Got You (while it lasted) and just Finn's whole onstage performance which is normally much more spontaneous and far less choreographed and restrained.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-13-2022, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
It is relevant. The band was playing new songs at the time.
No, that’s an arbitrary rule you’re setting for Fleetwood Mac playing songs that weren’t recorded by Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-13-2022, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
DDIO was the second highest charting song in the set. It was one of the most iconic hits of the ‘80s. Once Neil started strumming the chords, the cellphone lighters came out.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-13-2022, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
DDIO was the second highest charting song in the set. It was one of the most iconic hits of the ‘80s. Once Neil started strumming the chords, the cellphone lighters came out.
Chart positions of songs not recorded by the band on stage just shows how lame the crowded house was
So if they played Like A Virgin (it was #1 for 9 weeks), the crowd would have loved it even more? I just dont think the crowd knows or cares about chart positions

I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan and I prefer to hear their songs especially deep cuts. I bet the songs that never charted like The Chain and Gold Dust Woman got the lion share of the applause.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-13-2022 at 07:01 PM..
Old 02-13-2022, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, that’s an arbitrary rule you’re setting for Fleetwood Mac playing songs that weren’t recorded by Fleetwood Mac.
It's not arbitrary. Since Christine, new members that joined FM performed new songs on their debut tours with Fleetwood Mac.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chart positions of songs not recorded by the band on stage just shows how lame the crowded house was
So if they played Like A Virgin (it was #1 for 9 weeks), the crowd would have loved it even more?
If Madonna somehow ended up in Fleetwood Mac and the band played her biggest hit, one of the biggest, most iconic of the ‘80s, yeah, I’d expect the crowd reaction to be massive.

To your larger point, I doubt most people know or care about chart positions, even amongst the Fleetwood Mac songs.

My point was that DDIO wasn’t exactly an obscure song. It’s every bit as iconic as anything else that in a typical Fleetwood Mac setlist.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-13-2022, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not arbitrary. Since Christine, new members that joined FM performed new songs on their debut tours with Fleetwood Mac.
Fleetwood Mac playing songs from a member’s repertoire outside of Fleetwood Mac is the same regardless if there was new music or not. It’s still Fleetwood Mac playing not Fleetwood Mac songs.

Fleetwood Mac not playing new songs is a different discussion. Neil and Mike, as well as Christine and Mick, wanted to make a new album, just like Lindsey before them. Same reason why it didn’t happen. Shame, too, since the Dirty Knobs and Crowded House released great albums since the tour, too. A lot of “Dreamers Are Waiting” was written for Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-13-2022, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is relevant. The band was playing new songs at the time.
Tear it Up was done while Billy and Rick were doing new FM songs. Traffic songs were done while new songs from Time were played.
Neil and Tom hits were played in an FM set with no new music, and no FM songs that Neil or Mike played on the recorded versions of.
And Mick made it a point to say in the CBS interview that these men don't have calling cards and sure enough, they performed the highest-charting songs by Neil and Tom in the set.

People can come up with whatever rule or justification that suits their particular narrative, but the fact remains that Free Falling was first recorded and released by Tom Petty and Crash Into Me was first recorded and released by Dave Matthews Band, so they're not Stevie Nicks songs.
to be nitpicky, he said they didn't have to have a calling card. Which is a reference to back in the days before telephones etc existed, people had to go around to each other's houses to get in touch with each other. If someone came to your door and you didn't know them or you knew them but didn't want to see them, you had your butler or whoever answered the door say you weren't available and the person coming to see you left one of their cards with their name printed on it (like a modern business card, now also mostly obsolete) to let you know they had "called" on you. Making someone leave their calling card was a form of superiority... 'leave your card and maybe I'll get back to you'. Thus Mick's comment that these two men were famous in their own right and don't need to have a calling card was a way of saying they were not in any way less-than to anyone in FM and were peers and respected as such. So to me part of that respect is not telling either of these guys the stuff they did before FM is irrelevant and less important than FM songs. Why would those guys tolerate that ?

Anyway, sorry, I've been immersed in a history research project for so long now I can't help myself nitpicking details.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac playing songs from a member’s repertoire outside of Fleetwood Mac is the same regardless if there was new music or not. It’s still Fleetwood Mac playing not Fleetwood Mac songs.
However, in the previous FM lineups, a member who played a song from that member's repertoire outside of FM wrote or contributed to a Fleetwood Mac studio recording as a member of FM.

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac not playing new songs is a different discussion. Neil and Mike, as well as Christine and Mick, wanted to make a new album, just like Lindsey before them. Same reason why it didn’t happen. Shame, too, since the Dirty Knobs and Crowded House released great albums since the tour, too. A lot of “Dreamers Are Waiting” was written for Fleetwood Mac.
Well isn't Find Your Way Back home an FM song because it has four FM members on it?

I like Wreckless Abandon. I don't like the new Wicked Mind song lyrically.

Dreamers Are Waiting has 2 songs I like.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
to be nitpicky, he said they didn't have to have a calling card. Which is a reference to back in the days before telephones etc existed, people had to go around to each other's houses to get in touch with each other. If someone came to your door and you didn't know them or you knew them but didn't want to see them, you had your butler or whoever answered the door say you weren't available and the person coming to see you left one of their cards with their name printed on it (like a modern business card, now also mostly obsolete) to let you know they had "called" on you. Making someone leave their calling card was a form of superiority... 'leave your card and maybe I'll get back to you'. Thus Mick's comment that these two men were famous in their own right and don't need to have a calling card was a way of saying they were not in any way less-than to anyone in FM and were peers and respected as such. So to me part of that respect is not telling either of these guys the stuff they did before FM is irrelevant and less important than FM songs. Why would those guys tolerate that ?

Anyway, sorry, I've been immersed in a history research project for so long now I can't help myself nitpicking details.
I think I understand you. I think being respectful to Neil would've been letting him play Distant Sun, Mean to Me, or anything besides Something so Strong, I Got You or DDIO.
Neil did say in his introduction to DDIO that he was asked to play it.