Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Mick interview with Alec Baldwin

Really enjoyable interview. What he says about Lindsey and Stevie joining the band is very sweet.
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/heres...ing-23562128/#
Old 01-27-2021, 09:23 AM

Great interview! Alec knew his stuff. Impressive.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^It was. Alec's a true fan.

I was so surprised Mick actually said it's true he only was interested in Lindsey and that Lindsey was incredibly loyal to Stevie. He might be getting or has already gotten a phone call from Santa Monica
Old 01-27-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post

I was so surprised Mick actually said it's true he only was interested in Lindsey and that Lindsey was incredibly loyal to Stevie. He might be getting or has already gotten a phone call from Santa Monica
It would be great if they hired Lindsey back and said, "You know what, we're sick of you're overinflated ego, you're fired!

One last FAB 4 tour and album!! And she can finally Go Her Own Way!
It would get publicity like you wouldn't believe!! Homer would dance across the stages of the world!!
Old 01-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Why surprised? Mick said so since 1990 or so I read:
I told him I wanted Lindsey Buckingham to be the new guitarist in Fleetwood Mac, and what did he think? Olsen replied that Lindsey was part of a team, the other half of which was his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks. They had a band called Buckingham Nicks and were very much a pair. Keith said he didn't think Lindsey would be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. Without hesitating, I told him that I wanted them both. Then I called Mickey Shapiro and said, "I met these guys and am asking them to be in the band."

Now if he changed the story in 2018 or any other moment, just to please Stevie, or for any other reason, it was too late, cause he already wrote he wanted Lindsey. And in the Rumours Classic albums video (1997), Lindsey said he answered he and Stevie were a "package deal", too.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

He has always said that. Stevie knows that as well. She has said countless times the band needed a guitarist so bad they were willing to take a chance on his girlfriend.

Also, this is why Stevie referred to herself as the "house cat."
Old 01-27-2021, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It would be great if they hired Lindsey back and said, "You know what, we're sick of you're overinflated ego, you're fired!

One last FAB 4 tour and album!! And she can finally Go Her Own Way!
It would get publicity like you wouldn't believe!! Homer would dance across the stages of the world!!
Unfortunately, the above would never happen. Just like the many gallons of filler in her face, $he is the seat filler in the venues. Poor old Dick is only one tour away from bankruptcy!

BuckVie was my dream come true. If only Dick and John had toured it.

Shirley to god $he won't live to be 100. Someday......I'll be able to dance across the stages of the world!
Old 01-27-2021, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I told him I wanted Lindsey Buckingham to be the new guitarist in Fleetwood Mac, and what did he think? Olsen replied that Lindsey was part of a team, the other half of which was his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks. They had a band called Buckingham Nicks and were very much a pair. Keith said he didn't think Lindsey would be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. Without hesitating, I told him that I wanted them both. Then I called Mickey Shapiro and said, "I met these guys and am asking them to be in the band."
I was surprised because he said to Alec it's true he only wanted Lindsey. I heard what you shared which is he wanted them both. He did hire Stevie so ultimately he did want her.
And then he told Alec that Lindsey was loyal and merciful to Stevie and did not desert her. And I like how he said it was clear that their sound was a duo, like The Everly Brothers.

Just a fantastic interview.

And Homie... you should watch The Naked Gun Trilogy. O.J. was at his acting apex in those films!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Which essentially the same thing Keith Olsen said.

“Then I got a call on New Year’s Eve, and Mick says, “I’ve had some bad news. Bob Welch just decided to leave the band. So, that fellow in that band you played me—would you see if that guy would like to join my band?” And I said, “Well, they’re going to come as a set. Because they’re very much into their own thing, and the only chance of getting them to drop that would be to bring them both on.” And he says, “Well, maybe that will work. Can you see if you can convince them to join my band?”

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ds_Keith_Olsen

Quote:
Now if he changed the story in 2018 or any other moment, just to please Stevie, or for any other reason, it was too late, cause he already wrote he wanted Lindsey. And in the Rumours Classic albums video (1997), Lindsey said he answered he and Stevie were a "package deal", too.
Yeah, he went into the call wanting the guitarist he’d heard playing the solo that reminded him of Danny Kirwan. He wasn’t aware that it was a package situation. Once he was, he wanted them both. Not only did Fleetwood Mac need a guitarist, but they needed to fill up 2/3 of an album, since Bob had been the band’s main songwriter.

Lindsey may be the one who’s embellished the story a bit. Because according to Mick’s 1990 account and Keith Olsen’s, I don’t see where Lindsey was ever offered the gig without Stevie.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-27-2021, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In Stevie's bitter Street Angel days when she was both pissed at Mick and Lindsey and just bitter her record was not selling, she unleashed her feelings how she was never originally wanted in Fleetwood Mac in multiple interviews.
This is why Lindsey was so instrumental to her big career. Not only did he make her songs beautiful but he insisted Stevie come along. It would have been easy for Lindsey to say, let me try this out. If I dont like it, I will leave and make my own band or something. He was very daring to insist his gf come along. Not many musicians would risk blowing such a deal. I think Stevie said they were paid $400 per week once they joined. In 1975, $1600 per month was a pretty good salary
Old 01-27-2021, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Not only did he make her songs beautiful but he insisted Stevie come along. It would have been easy for Lindsey to say, let me try this out. If I dont like it, I will leave and make my own band or something. He was very daring to insist his gf come along. Not many musicians would risk blowing such a deal.
That would have been daring, but he was never offered the gig without Stevie and his instinct was to turn down the offer. It was Stevie who had to push him into joining the band, just like it was Stevie who pushed for them to move to Los Angeles. Without Stevie, he would have blown the deal.

ETA: More from the Keith Olsen interview about NYE 1974:

“So I drop what I was going to do on that New Year’s Eve, take my date, and we drive over to Stevie and Lindsey’s house. I said, “Hey, Happy New Year” and all of this—I brought over the obligatory bottle of bad champagne—and I said, “Can we talk? Mick Fleetwood would like you to join Fleetwood Mac.” Immediately, Lindsey said, “Oh, no, no—I couldn’t possibly play anything as good as Peter Green did. How am I supposed to get up there and play ‘The Green Manalishi’?” Finally I get them, by the end of the night, to try it on a trial basis for eight weeks.”

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 01-27-2021 at 03:05 PM..
Old 01-27-2021, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That would have been daring, but he was never offered the gig without Stevie and his instinct was to turn down the offer. It was Stevie who had to push him into joining the band, just like it was Stevie who pushed for them to move to Los Angeles. Without Stevie, he would have blown the deal.

ETA: More from the Keith Olsen interview about NYE 1974:

“So I drop what I was going to do on that New Year’s Eve, take my date, and we drive over to Stevie and Lindsey’s house. I said, “Hey, Happy New Year” and all of this—I brought over the obligatory bottle of bad champagne—and I said, “Can we talk? Mick Fleetwood would like you to join Fleetwood Mac.” Immediately, Lindsey said, “Oh, no, no—I couldn’t possibly play anything as good as Peter Green did. How am I supposed to get up there and play ‘The Green Manalishi’?” Finally I get them, by the end of the night, to try it on a trial basis for eight weeks.”
Man you love to dissect things a million ways.
Bottom line, they needed a guitarist. They wanted Lindsey. They had no idea about Stevie until Mick was told about her. He could have jumped without Stevie but he didn't.
Its that simple. End of story. Its what Mick and Stevie has said for over 40 years.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Shirley to god $he won't live to be 100. Someday......I'll be able to dance across the stages of the world!
I predict 104..maybe if we're really lucky and blessed she'll come and croak out Landslide for us as we lay on our death beds.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting that he said Stevie joined by default because Mick was only interested in Lindsey but that then she didn't join by default because Mick got to hear their sound as soon as they became members of FM. The Stevie/Lindsey sound is my favorite in music. Too bad Without You was the last we'll ever hear
Old 01-27-2021, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I predict 104..maybe if we're really lucky and blessed she'll come and croak out Landslide for us as we lay on our death beds.
Talk about the grim reaper!

There will be little doubt that you're headed South instead of North!