The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I read this interview with Neal Schon that came out on RollingStone yesterday and I could think from his comments about Mr. Irving Azoff's practices that Irving could have lied to Lindsey about Stevie saying "he goes, or I'm leaving" MF told a paparazzo that Stevie didn't give the band an ultimatum.

Neal suggests Irving isn't a 'straight-shooter'

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...iverse-1109823

And for anyone who wants to write "Who cares?" to this post... maybe you should start your own message board where you can have rubber stamp friends.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I read this interview with Neal Schon that came out on RollingStone yesterday and I could think from his comments about Mr. Irving Azoff's practices that Irving could have lied to Lindsey about Stevie saying "he goes, or I'm leaving" MF told a paparazzo that Stevie didn't give the band an ultimatum.

And for anyone who wants to write "Who cares?" to this post... maybe you should start your own message board where you can have rubber stamp friends.
Mick is a god damned liar, though. I don't believe a word he says.

And WHY ELSE would they break up the Rumours five? Mick is all about the paycheck, so he wouldn't. The McVies wouldn't do it. It had to be that stupid old goat!

(after reading your Journey link) I'm sure that management is part of the problem. When you're no longer communicating with each other, but sending your messages through "your people", things are bound to get f*cked up.

Rubber stamp people....there's no reason to bring $tevie's friends into this!
Old 01-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
And WHY ELSE would they break up the Rumours five?
I think Mick and Stevie both don't want to make new Fleetwood Mac music. They'd rather hear the roar of the crowd when the old classic rock radio songs are played.
They don't want a lukewarm applause for new songs.

You have to wonder why Storms was dropped in the first month of the 2018 tour when it was played for an entire year on Unleashed. I think it bothers Stevie to see people sitting and chatting, or people walking with beer in their hands while she's singing a song in which she's pouring her heart out. What did she replace Storms with.. oh how surprising, Gypsy
Old 01-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Mick and Stevie both don't want to make new Fleetwood Mac music. They'd rather hear the roar of the crowd when the old classic rock radio songs are played.

You have to wonder why Storms was dropped in the first month of the 2018 tour when it was played for an entire year on Unleashed. I think it bothers Stevie to see people sitting and chatting, or people walking with beer in their hands while she's singing a song in which she's pouring her heart out. What did she replace Storms with.. oh how surprising, Gypsy
Then why would Mick have made BuckVie? I think this is all on $tevie.

As far as Storms, that's the way any band should be...if the crowd is bored with it, you shouldn't be doing it(IMO - I play in a band, and when we learn a new song, we'll do it 7-8 times live, and if the crowd isn't responding, we drop the song, 9/10 times).
Old 01-10-2021, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Then why would Mick have made BuckVie?
I understand. As you know well, BuckVie started as songs for a FM album. We had the summer 2014 pics of LB and CM pics at Village. It got pushed away because Stevie chose to do her album.
I think Mick wanted to be a part of seeing that music which he started to play on in 2014 go public. Of course, I'm really just talking off the top of my head
Old 01-10-2021, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think that Steve has sung her heart out in decades. She much more of a parody of what she used to be...going through the motions of what she thinks that her fans want or expect. She doesn't have to do the whole possessed Rhiannon to prove it but she is much too shallow of a person to reach down and actually mean what she sings anymore.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Please, I’m the one who’s been saying the whole smirk thing was BS all along. I still LOL that he and his minions believed that.

Lindsey’s days in Fleetwood Mac were numbered starting on June 20, 2017, when he told an L.A. Times reporter that he/Fleetwood Mac were doing the Classic shows for the money as well as a favor to Irving Azoff.
Quote:
Asked how he felt about playing a show explicitly geared to evoke memories of the old days, Buckingham cringed.

"It doesn't necessarily speak of the aspiration to present anything in the way that Fleetwood Mac would want to present it on its own terms," he said. "But we're all very close to Irving, so it was just sort of a 'Why not?'"
Pretty diplomatic for a rock star.

“I was going to put it less diplomatically, but I stopped myself," he said.

"Do the undiplomatic version," McVie chimed in. "What were you going to say?"

"I was going to say, 'Just close your eyes and take the money,'" Buckingham answered, and the soundstage rippled with laughter again.
The interviewer also reviewed the Classic West show and gave them a terrible review.
Quote:
I can’t say I wasn’t warned.

In a recent interview with Lindsey Buckingham, I asked the Fleetwood Mac frontman about turning his attention from his and Christine McVie’s new duets album to Fleetwood Mac’s participation in Classic West.

First he cringed, as though the mere mention of the two-day festival — which brought Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, among other veteran rock acts, to Dodger Stadium over the weekend — had embarrassed him. Then he explained that the explicitly nostalgic event wasn’t exactly his dream gig, but that he’d agreed to do it in deference to his manager, Irving Azoff, who put the Classic West together.

Buckingham’s mantra for the show? “Just close your eyes and take the money.”
Having seen Sunday’s miserable excuse for a concert, I wish I’d been closing my eyes.
How do you think that went over with Irving Azoff, who was still promoting the shows and selling tickets? He had millions invested in those shows, and then the talent starts talking it down? Think it’s also purely coincidental that Irving dropped Lindsey as a client after Lindsey got fired from Fleetwood Mac?

By all accounts, the tour negotiations in November, 2017 were brutal. I can easily imagine Irving, not feeling the love for his client, asking Stevie how Mike Campbell was doing since Tom’s untimely passing at some point.

The decision to fire Lindsey was made before MusiCares.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2021, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree. I think the seeds were sown then. Lindsey and Chris doing an album and Stevie not wanting to record new music with the Mac. I'd say the different paths are Lindsey doesn't want to be an oldies band and Stevie is fine with that.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 01-13-2021, 05:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think it’s not Lindsey’s poorly advised comments alone that did it. I was at Classic East and it was striking to me that The Eagles were so well received and made tons of money with replacements, including Vince Gill. The idea that even bands with iconic lineups like the Eagles could continue successfully at a high level of income/sales (not doing oldies triple bill shows like Journey etc), had to be a big motivator. I don’t think it was a smirk alone. The fact is, the desire to get rid of Lindsey was probably there since 1980. It became possible once Christine came back. And Stevie was surely angry after Buckingham McVie. But the belief that it would work on a business level may have come after The Classic. I’m sure Azoff wasn’t telling them to keep Lindsey after that.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha View Post
The fact is, the desire to get rid of Lindsey was probably there since 1980. It became possible once Christine came back.
They had that, though, from 1987-91.

I think Lindsey had been going out of his way to accommodate Stevie since 2009, and just quit once Christine was back in the picture, and things got much worse.

Quote:
And Stevie was surely angry after Buckingham McVie.
If LBCM actually factored into it, which I don’t believe it did, it wasn’t because of Stevie. She was too busy with her own tour. No, it would have been because of Christine. The LBCM tour was the first time in 33 years that she was playing smaller venues that were only 3/4 capacity, if that. A far cry from what she was used to.

Read what she’s said about Christine Perfect, Christine McVie, BTM, Time, and ITM. Why would LBCM be any different? Sure, she had fun doing LBCM and wasn’t in favor of his ouster, but something on the scale of LBCM wasn’t how she wanted to go out. Given the choice of playing the United Center or an amphitheater at a Six Flags, of course she’s going to pick United Center. Why shouldn’t she want to be an arena rocker, especially as part of a band whose musical journey she’s been a part of since April, 1968, ten months after the band was formed and four months before she married John and before Danny joined?

Quote:
But the belief that it would work on a business level may have come after The Classic. I’m sure Azoff wasn’t telling them to keep Lindsey after that.
Agreed.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-16-2021, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
She was too busy with her own tour.
Stevie did have January to September of 2016 off so she could have done FM recording then. She doesn't want to record any more music with FM because she feels it won't be a chart-topper. I think if AC/DC can top the charts, FM can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Sure, she had fun doing LBCM and wasn’t in favor of his ouster, but something on the scale of LBCM wasn’t how she wanted to go out.
As far as the "to go out", that's in response to the ultimatum that Stevie gave Mick, right? If Stevie left, then the band would've been playing the Beacon rather than The Garden.

If the Rumours 5 did the 2018 tour, I believe the venues would've been the same as they were.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie did have January to September of 2016 off so she could have done FM recording then. She doesn't want to record any more music with FM because she feels it won't be a chart-topper. I think if AC/DC can top the charts, FM can.
As far as the "to go out", that's in response to the ultimatum that Stevie gave Mick, right? If Stevie left, then the band would've been playing the Beacon rather than The Garden.
except, this is completely nonsensical and unproven speculation.

no-name-recognition BuckVie or LB played and filled the Beacon. if huge FM brand played Beacon they would charge an arm and a leg. yeah i saw performers of FM caliber and brand - like Prince - play theaters like Beacon, but that was when they announced the show only 2 days before, charged tons for tickets, and had to add the second show the same night because of huge sales.

Stevie and Mick were cavorting all over fellow performers' shows in 2017, so their being "too busy" rings very hollow. neither of them were too busy to notice how Nicks name on her own (well with The Pretenders but they were pretending that was not the case ) can perform in arenas and sheds while BuckVie had no name recognition so they could only perform in sheds and theaters.

that was behind the timing of Stevie's stunt. she was busy in 2017, yes. busy getting Mick and Azoff to side with her.

as to why? as many have said, the last straw was when Lindsey stopped appeasing her bs once Christine was back. in the past, Mick was usually on Lindsey's side with respect to new music, directing the shows etc. ask anyone who was at Mick's M&Gs between 2013-2015. with Christine back, it appears Lindsey miscalculated and thought he would now have both Mick and Christine on his side. big mistake, Stevie pulled big money managers!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"