Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
FAVORITE STEVIE/TOM STORY

In the late 80's, Stevie Nicks would co-write songs with Mike Campbell. For the "TANGO" sessions, she recorded the song "Runaway Trains" for a Fleetwood Mac album. In casual passing, I think the song was played for Tom Petty. Tom had a **** fit when he heard Stevie's version because he had just recorded the song for The Heartbreakers album "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough). Tom Petty basically told Stevie and The Mac using a few colorful words that they WOULD NOT use his song "Runaway Trains".

And that is how "Runaway Trains" did not end up on "Tango In The Night".
now, did she steal the WHOLE song-- words and lyrics? Or did she just hear the track on one of the tapes Mike gave her and she wrote her own lyrics and melody over it?? I thought that was how she always told the story.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
now, did she steal the WHOLE song-- words and lyrics? Or did she just hear the track on one of the tapes Mike gave her and she wrote her own lyrics and melody over it?? I thought that was how she always told the story.
I'm sure it was just the music track with perhaps a working title of "Runaway Trains". Stevie probably wrote some lyrics over the melody like:

"Baby, baby, sister said somethin' bout runaway trains--long dusted veil running through the night, like fireflies giving up the fight--and I'm depending on time, to get you out of my mind
I guess it's one of those things
You can never explain
Like when a silver moon cries
and a dark angel flies
Like runaway trains"

Tom heard the track and had a s**t fit.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom Petty's last interview:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...004-story.html

"I was one of many blindsided by the news of his death on Monday. As we sat, just a few days earlier, he was vibrant, full of enthusiasm, still the epitome of the coolest rock star you’d want to sit down for a chat with. He laughed easily and often, occasionally dropping his voice into a softer mode when outlining just how precious his band, his music and his family were to him. The only gripe he had was about the hip he cracked shortly before the tour started, which he was now finally addressing.

This is not the Tom Petty story I intended to write because I intended to write a “next stage” story.

Everyone assumed — fully expected — there would be more time for this fisherman to add yet more brethren to the bevy of beloved songs that have integrated themselves into American popular culture. Classic-rock staples including “Breakdown,” “American Girl,” “Refugee,” “Even the Losers,” “Learning to Fly,” “Listen to Her Heart,” “Here Comes My Girl,” “Walls,” “Mary Jane’s Last Dance.”

Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Supporting Ledgie

I think my first exposure to Petty was Free Fallin and then in my teenage years he came back with Mary Jane's Last Dance and I was a fan from then on. For years I have kept intending to go see him live and I never got the chance. I'm absolutely gobsmacked by his loss.