The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-02-2017, 08:49 PM
BLY BLY is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,015
Default Music listening to on the way to the concert.....

I road tripped from Maryland to Pennsylvania and I played...

Buckingham/ McVie
Law and Order
In the Meantime
Tango in the Night ( outtakes and B sides)

What did you rock to?
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 07-02-2017, 08:57 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,584
Default

I was only a 15 minute walk for me, so nothing... but my show was 14 days after the release, so I listened to NOTHING but it for 14 days. I wanted to know every song, back to front!

I figure that was about 50 complete plays. And I'm still playing it twice a day. I love it! So much better than SYW! It's happy!
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I road tripped from Maryland to Pennsylvania and I played...

Buckingham/ McVie
Law and Order
In the Meantime
Tango in the Night ( outtakes and B sides)

What did you rock to?
I'm not seeing them on this tour. But my playlist would
not include their music. I'd want to go in fresh.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2017, 11:19 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
So much better than SYW! It's happy!
Overall I agree.

Without trying to start another Stevie bashing thread,
I think she was the problem with SYW. Slow and tired.
And then tops it off with complaint after complaint about
how bad she had it during that time.

Christine and Lindsey seem to be having a good time.
And that makes it a more enjoyable listen.

I think their next album will be even better.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Netter75's Avatar
Netter75 Netter75 is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Overall I agree.

Without trying to start another Stevie bashing thread,
I think she was the problem with SYW. Slow and tired.
And then tops it off with complaint after complaint about
how bad she had it during that time.

Christine and Lindsey seem to be having a good time.
And that makes it a more enjoyable listen.

I think their next album will be even better.
I disagree that her SYW songs or slow or tired. Her voice can get a bit nasal at times (thank god Lindsey played so well on Destiny Rules) but she's got a very strong set of songs in Running Through the Garden, Everybody Finds Out, Thrown Down, and Say You Will. Destiny Rules and Illume aren't too bad either.

IMO the reason why that album is a bit exhausting is because it's almost all Stevie-style drama. You need a break once in a while, but Stevie doesn't do happy songs. Most of her stuff is angst-y or dark. What are her happy ones? We'll say If I Were You, Talk to Me, Rooms on Fire... not many and not necessarily the ones that hold up great. Lindsey seems to feed off of that, I mean the original Buckingham Nicks album isn't particularly happy either. BM feels happier because Christine REVELS in stuff that sounds happy. Unfortunately in the same way that SYW can be seen as exhausting, BM can be seen as fluffy. I think we are all in agreement that the three are best when they're together, the balance of angst and light happiness

So in all, two totally different albums with two totally different moods. I love both of them though.
__________________
"I am just one small part of forever" -Think About It (The song that got me into Stevie Nicks)

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2017, 01:26 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
IMO the reason why that album is a bit exhausting is because it's almost all Stevie-style drama. You need a break once in a while, but Stevie doesn't do happy songs. Most of her stuff is angst-y or dark.

BM feels happier because Christine REVELS in stuff that sounds happy.

Unfortunately in the same way that SYW can be seen as exhausting, BM can be seen as fluffy. I think we are all in agreement that the three are best when they're together, the balance of angst and light happiness
.
Why is that? Does she know that she doesn't do happy songs? I'm being serious.

Which is why she's(Christine) always been my favorite! FAY might be a diabetic coma, but I'm hooked on it like heroin. Reminds me of Can't Go Back. Complete sugar fix!

They are the best with all three. I'd still pick BM over BN, though. That happiness is why Chris had the majority of hits!
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Netter75's Avatar
Netter75 Netter75 is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Why is that? Does she know that she doesn't do happy songs? I'm being serious.

Which is why she's(Christine) always been my favorite! FAY might be a diabetic coma, but I'm hooked on it like heroin. Reminds me of Can't Go Back. Complete sugar fix!

They are the best with all three. I'd still pick BM over BN, though. That happiness is why Chris had the majority of hits!
I have no idea. They're probably just a little out of her comofort zone and not her strong suit and she knows that. Her strong suits seem to be stuff ripped from a dramatic diary page lol. Personally though I prefer that angsty work to any of the bubbly stuff she's released. It fits better with her voice for me.

Haha FAY sends me into diabetic shock but I like all her bubbly vibes as well. The album really makes me happy because I feel her genuine enthusiasm seeping through. She's not just gritting her teeth anymore and I love that. She's versatile though and I like her darker stuff as well!
__________________
"I am just one small part of forever" -Think About It (The song that got me into Stevie Nicks)

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2017, 04:58 PM
TimeCastASpell TimeCastASpell is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Posts: 142
Default

I must be one of the only diehards who loves SYW. *blushes* I legitimately consider it one of my all time favorite albums in general (from all artists). But I'm also on the younger end for this forum and I've seen studies and plenty of anecdotes about how the music we listen to in our teens seems to hold a special place for most people so perhaps that's part of it. But I mean I also remember going to a used record store as a teen and squealing over Rumours so... And I still haven't seen most of the documentary about the making of SYW (forgot the name of it... did they call that Destiny Rules?) I own it but was afraid it would ruin some of the magic for me maybe. But yeah, maybe I'm weird. SYW is a permanent fixture in my car to this day though.

Heading out to the Mt. Pleasant, MI show tomorrow evening, have about an hour's drive so probably just listening to BM because I still don't know all the songs very well. Just hoping the rain stays away for thatshow because no cover over the seats and I'm hearing thunderstorms in the forecast so afraid it could end up rescheduled (if they outright cancel in going to cry!) On the way home I might play something I'm more familiar with just to keep me awake because it's a very boring drive (more or less the middle of nowhere, long flat country roads) so maybe Tango or Tusk or uh.... SYW. But I'd be inclined to skip SYW since no Christine. Don't think I played SYW on the way to any of the last FM tour shows for the same reason.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$99.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER picture1978 Vintage Photo bass guitarist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac rock band posing
$30.0
1978 Vintage Photo bass guitarist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac rock band posing pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac pictureFLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band
$19.99
FLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band pictureJohn McVie of Fleetwood Mac Bikini Girls ORIGINAL 7x9 press photo #U6353
$9.99
John McVie of Fleetwood Mac Bikini Girls ORIGINAL 7x9 press photo #U6353 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved