Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It was recorded for In The Meantime but not included on the album.
Ahhhh, thought so, but good to hear confirmation.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJT View Post
So disappointed. It took three years to release this? What kind of alternate universe are we in, and how do we get out? It's as bad as the songs from the 'This is 40' soundtrack. I don't understand this at all.
Brother and Sister from the This is 40 soundtrack is PURE GENIUS!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
I think that's the part I dislike the most. It does sound very current. Maybe I'm in the minority but I love when a song sounds "dated". That's why I primarily listen to classic rock. I can appreciate Lindsey going for an updated sound, it's just not really my cup of tea.
Makes sense.
I love the old classic sound of Fleetwood Mac from 75 to 77, but with Tusk I think I started to always expected something new and innovative after that.
Had they stayed the same, I'm not sure they would still be a productive band today.
So anytime Lindsey brings something new to an album, I'm all for it. He's the only one in the band who has never gotten stale.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Let's remember that "Do You Miss Me" was probably the lamest song on GOS and it was chosen as the single. Even Lindsey made comments on tour about being slightly stumped by the decision for that song to be a single.

I doubt this is officially the single, more like a teaser until the real promotion kicks in. I like it, anyone can spot that rhythm section a mile away. Classic drum fills.
Absolutely. Nobody hit the panic button just yet. "Did You Miss Me" wasn't indicative of the overall quality of GOS (in my opinion). Even Christine released "You Are" for In the Meantime first, and the superior "Friend" was second.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Uhh...

I don't think this is great or terrible. It seems pretty average. The choices made re vocals when it comes to Lindsey tend to irritate me more than please...so...there's that. I would love to hear some more Christine and I think it's fair to say that a lot of people feel that way. Bring on the Chris! This would've been a very obvious add to 'EP' had it become an album. I'll wait for the next single.

And about 'You Are,' some of the lyrics were a little twee, but it was better than 'In My World.'
Old 04-14-2017, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually like the song, but the chorus is messed up. He might as well just have Siri "sing" on it, if that is the result he favors.

And what are the lyrics? Bless my soul, left without a pearl???

But I actually will be singing this thing to myself all day and night. I like it, but I would rather hear both of them on a song, if we have to have a single.

Michele
Old 04-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not quite sure of what to make of the use of the Big Love carnal grunts.

Either;

a) He's paying a homage to Tango In The Night since it's 30 years since that album was released. Much has been made of this Lindsey/Chris collaboration being like an extension of their Tango In The Night work together. Perhaps he's just playing on that and using those sounds is a tool for tying the albums together.

b) Its some sort of dig at Stevie- I'm not sure exactly how or what though. At the time people assumed the oh ah oh sounds were Lindsey and Stevie. Possibly the intention is to deliberately get people to now question whether the sounds are Christine.

c) It's not so much intended as a dig at Stevie, more a tribute. People have said the lyrics are definitely about her. Overall, I personally find the tone of the song to be quite sad and mournful. Maybe he thinks by adding the grunts it's an extra nod to Stevie to let her know he's singing about her.

d) He just really likes those sounds and he's running out of ideas. Perhaps he just thinks by adding them it gives a bit of a talking point.

e) None of the above.

Overall I'm worried its a retrospective step. Using sounds from 30 year old music almost turns it into some sort of self parody. I do hope we don't hear too many familiar old sounds/riffs/motifs throughout the album.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-14-2017, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
This is NEW music. Unlike Stevie, who has been imitating herself and rehashing herself for 30 years, Lindsey and Chris created something different

I have a feeling the new album is going to be as Off-putting as Tusk. Christine described it as unexpected and that is what the 1st single is.

P.S. Christine didn't have any great radio singles from Tusk but she did have a lot of great atmospheric songs.

This sounds exactly like Did You Miss Me with a much better rhythm section! very much rehashing. AND he re used the big love grunts.

It's a good song. Like others I'm extremely disappointed there's no christine prescience. They just should of went with one of the songs first. She's who I wanted to hear a new song from. I was anticipating something world Turing like and got did you miss me instead

Now I'm not passing any judgement on the album yet. Did you miss me was one of only 3 songs on gift of screws that I didn't love so I'm not at all deterred by a mildly disappointing teaser.

He Will Burn You Down

Last edited by Hawkeye; 04-14-2017 at 04:42 PM..
Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The verse lyrics are a juvenile string of hackneyed phrases strung together quite incoherently.

Apologies ahead of time to JBrownsJr and to David, but do you know who dances, spins, dreams and sings in his world? No, seriously do you? This is not a stretch my friends.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 04-14-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Old 04-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The verse lyrics are a juvenile string of hackneyed phrases strung together quite incoherently.

Apologies ahead of time to JBrownsJr and to David, but do you know who dances, spins, dreams and sings in his workd? No, seriously do you? This is not a stretch my friends.

Michele
It could be dozens of different women.
(Stevie doesn't spin, she twirls. )

Jamie
Old 04-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Ledgie

I agree, Hawkeye. I was also expecting something like 'World Turning' / 'You Make Loving Fun' / 'Don't Stop' / 'Hold Me'. Even 'Sad Angel' had Stevie in the background, but no Chris here. Where is the classic harmony? Where is the classic guitar work? Christine has said her music on this new album sounds like stuff from the '70's. Still trying to be open-minded, and still listening to 'In My World'. Sounds like a Lindsey solo song; not Fleetwood Mac, not Buckingham McVie, and not anything new and creative. I love this band, just not sure what to make of this. Sigh.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Apologies ahead of time to JBrownsJr and to David, but do you know who dances, spins, dreams and sings in his world? No, seriously do you? This is not a stretch my friends.

Michele
Stevie Nicks. Very clumsily these days.. lol
Old 04-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song is very Lindsey.

I don't hear Christine at all, but as a whole the repetitive da da da guitar part during the verses is reminiscent of Straight Back to me, the percussion reminds me of Dreams, and the production is soo Say You Will to me. I'm not sure if I like it.

Lindsey's overproduced voice annoys me. For all his talk of organic this and organic that, I wish Lindsey's songs sounded a little more organic!

Overall, the chorus is catchy, but I'm not a huge Lindsey fan so this release is disappointing to me. Would love some semblance of a duet with Christine and I reeeeally miss the whole band including Stevie.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if Stevie snuck in and contributed the cowbell/castanets in order to trick Lindsey?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
Overall, the chorus is catchy, but I'm not a huge Lindsey fan so this release is disappointing to me. .
if you were a huge Lindsey fan, this would probably be really really really really really disappointing to you.

(sorry wondergirl, you are in minority as far as huge LB fans go re this song. and Peestie, you seem to be on the brink. other huge LB fans are all like - blah, this sounds nothing like Lindsey we know and love.)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"